My S-40 Already Has A Steel Guide Rod

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by 13thlevel, Mar 22, 2007.

1. 13thlevel

13thlevel Guest

What is the benifit of purchasing a new guide rod? My S-40 has a steel guide rod. It's not stainless though. Is there a major improvement with a stainless guide rod?[/img]

2. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

not really an advantage for the S, but the M comes with a plastic guide rod.

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

The main reason to purchase a guide rod is, like Zund said, to upgrade the M to steel. The secondary reason would be to use different spring rates on uncaptured rods to experiment with different loads/handloads.

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

I hafta tell ya, with my M357-A1, I've shot a wide range of component bullet reloads and it performs flawlessly, from 1600+ fps 88 gr JHP's to 158 gr resized 357 Rem Mag bullets at 1050 fps. Never misses a beat. IMHO, all we need is to get a steady supply of the Steyr factory stocker recoil springs and we're in like Flint! :p

Wulf <-- he's workin' on it

[​IMG]

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

are you seriously throwing 88 gr bullets at 1600 fps?

holy crap!!!

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya BT :)

Yeah...1600 fps 's pretty safe with Winchester 88 gr JHP's and they feed really nice, too...not much recoil, tho kinda flighty, but 1700 is kinda pushin' the performance envelope. :roll: I've had 90 gr Sierra JHP's near 1600 with Power Pistol. Makes one Hellova flash and really turns heads on the firin' line! :twisted: A 5" barreled tactical 357 SIG is really a performance glutton and cozies up to true 357 Rem Mag performance with 125 gr JHP's. Put a 125 gr JHP inna 357 SIG SMG with a 6" + bbl and ya gotta bonafide better feedin', low recoilin' fire-breathin' fu*kin' dragon! :twisted: Sorry. :oops: Sometimes I get a bit carried away. But, go to a 115 gr JHP at better than 1700 fps and check it out! You do the math! 8) Hava great weekend, Bro. :)

Wulf <-- really wants a tricked out Wulf Ltd Edition S357-A1 :wink:

[​IMG]

7. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Are those velocities outside the design parameters for the JHP?

Ben

8. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Ben :)

Nope, not any of the bullets that I use. <shrug> But, when you're reloadin', there are lots of other things that you are responsible for aside from pullin' out your wallet. Bullet selection is one of 'em. For instance, ifn I was gonna turn a 357 SIG into a huntin' gun, I'd push the 110 gr'ers, resizin' 357 Rem Mag component JHP bullets to 0.356" first for optimum performance, while holdin' down the pressure to get there. Some 357 Mag/38 SPL component bullets work perfectly well and even have the cannalure in an ideal location on the bullet for the bullet length sweet spot for crimping, but the 0.357" dia creates a problem with pressure when ya start pushin' 'em for more performance. One solution to using 357 Mag component bullets for your reloads is to keep 'em loaded "light" , powder-wise. Another solution and the one that I most prefer is to resize the bullet to 0.356" and start a little low on the powder charge (a safe starting load) and carefully work up observing for signs of excessive pressure. Now first make sure that you are using true JHP's and I mean "copper jacketed hollow points". I don't use any plated bullets for anything other than target shootin'. I don't trust 'em to hold up at over 1200 fps. I had some Berry's Manufacturing plated 124 gr FP's that were keyholin' my target at 15 yds...at less than 1300 fps! I use 'em in my S9-A1 now and they're great for target and plinkin'. <shrug> IMHO, when the velocities begin to push 1300 fps, you should really be aware of what the bullet is doing on impact...and beyond. That being said, I'm not interested in FMJ's at all other than for target and plinkin'. Once when I was a youngin' in TX, I shot a big ol' armadillo 9 times with my Steyr GB usin' surplus FJM's and he still ran in 'is hole. A single hollow point at hi performance velocities would have been more quickly effective...or a shotgun. :roll: If ya want more info PM me. Reloading can extend the performance of whatever cartridge it is that you are reloading for and there is nothing more important than safety, so if you're gonna reload ya better -damn- sure know what you're doin'. Hava great weekend. :)

[​IMG]