My *other* PPK - collosal bummer!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by YellowPerchMan, Mar 13, 2013.

1. YellowPerchMan

YellowPerchMan New Member

Okay, so in the thread below, I have chronicled my S&W PPK. Now on to the other PPK (I have two). Will try to make a long story short. Got it at a pawnshop as it was advertised as a Pre-War. I memorized the serial number, went home and confirmed it was made in 1935. No problems there. Only problem was it is nickel plated. Gut instinct tells me in 1935, Great Depression Era, the Germans weren't nickel plating every firearm coming out the factory. I went ahead and bought it anyways. $600. Took it home, cleaned it up, bought some .32 Fiocchi ammo, and headed to the range. Performed WONDERFULLY. Able to put most shots in the 10 ring. No problems, I'm happy. Meanwhile, I confirmed my instincts by examining some of the markings on the slide, it has the N over Crown. But the Crown's right side is filled in and indiscernible with nickel plating.

I joined the Walther Forum (YellowPerchman there too). I put up some pictures of it, introducing my 78 year old babe. Lo and behold, there is a curious circle stamping on the left hand side of the weapon, between the Walther banner and the safety. I noticed it before but didn't pay any mind. Someone on the Walther forum notices it and says that's the RZM stamp. This signifies it was Nazi weapon. I googled images for PPK RZM and sure enough there they are. Further, put the circle under a magnifying glass and with the correct line of light, you can see the upper right hand elbow of the "Z" as well as the "P" that comprises an "R". Again, the nickel plating has filled in most of it. Still, I'm pretty amped about this from a strictly historical perspective.

My huge let down comes from firearm value grading systems. A quick look on Gunbroker shows RZM PPKs with a Buy It price of $3200. Mine? Probably not even the $600 I paid for it due to the "aftermarket" nickel plating. This just totally defies the Perchman's logic. You mean to tell me a worn, faded blued, stock weapon is worth more than one that was nickel plated? See, I'd have the reverse opinion. But I can see I'm on the losing end of the argument so I won't rant anymore about value. I suppose, in the end, I may still relish in the fact I have a historical piece. There are other firearms I have that are sure fire collector items like a pair of .30-.30s that are the Winchester Golden Spikes as well as a double barrelled 12 gauge Parker. While these are collector items, they don't have the historical value as this PPK. Granted, by no means am I a collector or have any knowledge of how to grade firearms for value. But reading the NRA and a few others grading systems both seems counter intuitive to me - not to mention deflating. I love the nickel finish on this piece. Looks snazzy and my research suggests that a US GI recovered the weapon and had it done in Germany at that time while waiting transport back to the states. From what I read, a very common practice. But I know it doesn't belong and the weapon should be blued. I'm debating at this time to have the nickel stripped and have it reblued. Thoughts are stripping the nickel would make the original stampings, particularly the RZM, pop out and be discernible. I also know I would want it done right and that will cost a pretty penny. Daggone it!!!

2. Metal Bird

Metal Bird Member

Cool. Save up and Git R Done!
    Knowing all that my OCD would force me to restore it to original ... Sometimes I am better off not knowing things :)

3. EarlyBronco

EarlyBronco New Member

It does seem backwards, the old patina is worth more than a nice finish. But be careful, having it reblued could also effect value, I have an old colt 6 shooter that was re-blued at some point in its life, it looks great, but since all the orig patina is gone-it effects value (maybe not as much as-if someone had nickel plated it though)

4. dash

dash Member

Sorry about that nickel finish on the PPK. Too many pistols ended up that way after the war. If it's good shape then I'd leave it alone. At least you can let your imagination go wild wondering what it's seen and been through.
    I have a very early PP, only 1500 from the first one made, but it's history probably isn't as glamorous as yours.

5. JMJNet

JMJNet Member

Wait a few years, the nickel look will be in fashion again!
    At that time the price will probably reflect the history of the gun.