My (Non-Steyr) Carry Rig

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Syntax360, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I love my Steyr to death, but in the winter time I really prefer to carry something that will pack a little more wallop throw a piece of lead with a little more mass behind it. And because winter allows me to wear more layers and cover garments, I have no trouble touting around my 5" Sig GSR 1911. She is carried in a Blade-Tech UCH and sports 8+1 230gr. Winchester Rangers, and I always carry an extra magazine in a Blade-Tech carrier. If I know I will be out past dark, the Surefire G2 comes along for the ride (though I almost always leave that bulky holster for it at home). The knife pictured is my usual Böker BO051 and the multitool that rides beside it is a Leatherman Charge Ti. All in all, I would say the rig is pretty heavy, but all the stuff on the stuff on the weak side helps to balance the fairly heavy 1911 on my strong side and it works out pretty well. I've gone all day many times with the gear and never found the getup to be too unbearable. So without further adieu...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just the pistol:
    [​IMG]

As if the rail wasn't bad enough for 1911 purists, I'm sure this picture will be downright blasphemous...
    [​IMG]

Definitely isn't as sexy as the Steyr with the M6X, but certainly just as functional.

There has been a LOT of bad chatter about the GSR and reliability. I bought mine CPO 2 months after they were released in downright prestine condition - zero flaws. I had some extraction issues for about the first 200 rounds using WWB, but I've put a good 1k+ downrange now without a hitch (CCI and Monarch). My only gripe with the gun is the Ed Brown ambi safety I had installed - it took a lot of fitment to get it to work right and the color doesn't quite match the satin tones of the frame. It is a little too bling bling for me, but it matches the barrel bushing and I seem to be one of the only ones that really notices it. I thought the Steyr's had amazing triggers until I bought this pistol - know I know the true definition of "breaks like a glass rod". Even my gunsmith commented on how scary perfect it was. The weight is an issue for carry, but that is to be expected from a 1911. Accuracy wise, it's a tackdriver - ultra-low recoil, extremely tight groups. I am consistently impressed when I take her out to the range.

All in all, I consider it a great buy and an ideal carry gun if you don't mind the weight. I would highly recommend the GSR if one were in the market for a 1911.

2. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

I swear, you are the worst when it comes to making me buy new holsters :lol:

I now know that there is a UCH for my baby.. not quite as bling as yours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did have to cut off the sweatshield from my Steyr UCH, it was killing me, how can you deal with that?

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

:D

I've never had any issues with the Blade-Tech sweat shields. My Comp-Tac, on the other hand, starts to drive me crazy after awhile.

Nice lookin' 1911 Thunderbear!

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Hey Syntax360,

Do you run into any Rhinocerouses or charging bull elephants down there in Texas in mid-winter?

If one should pop up, you're sure ready to deal with it. I would say you're loaded for bear, but I think it would have be a grizzly or a Kodiak before you'd even feel suitably challenged.

Remind me not to sneak up behind you and say boo! It would be extremely fatal. :mrgreen:

Do you tote a backup, too, or do you figger the .45 is enough?

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The 1911 and one extra magazine is more than enough firepower for me. There are very few circumstances in which I would carry 2 pistols, and I certainly wouldn't carry a backup mag for the primary if I had a second on hand.

I just like to have at least as many rounds on me as my Steyr can carry standalone.

6. smores

smores Guest

Those SIG 1911's are beautiful. If I strike it rich I may pick one up. But only after I get my USP and other things :wink:

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Speaking of 1911-style pistols, forgive me if I slightly hijack this thread.

I just saw the below in a gun magazine ad. It's the EAA Witness Elite Match. What caught my eye is it's available in 10mm with 15+1 capacity and it's only $600 MSRP. I've heard good and bad about EAA, but they're one of the very few making 10mm pistols, so I'm going to investigate this one. Anybody got any experience with EAA, good or bad?

[​IMG]

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Compact...
    [​IMG]

or fullsize?

To be honest, the USP series is overrated IMHO. The triggers really, really suck and you can get a truly excellent Sig P-series for the same money. The H&Ks definitely have the edge in sexy, though... Both are pretty much unstoppable. I like my USPc, but it doesn't get carried as much as it should due to that crappy trigger. Of course you can carry C&L, but if I have a choice, I prefer to carry with no safety engaged.

The Witness series is generally regarded as the best deal around on the 10mm market. They are crazy cheap for what you are getting. I've read many a range report from Witness owners and cannot recall hearing a single complaint. Customer service would probably be the only gamble, but if you enjoy the "typical" EAA experience, I doubt you will ever require it.

9. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Either my Steyr M40 in a Crossbreed IWB or my SA 1911 .45 in in a Sidearmor IWB with jeans or cargo shorts. Kahr PM40 with pocket holster in slacks or any very light cover. It vanishes in that wallet-like pocket holster. I carry nothing weaker than .40, and with the Kahr PM40s, who needs to?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]