My next pocket pistol?

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by Netfotoj, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I do believe I may have discovered the replacement for my Kel Tec P-11 which is looking for a new home. I'm just tired of fighting that 85-lb. trigger and ain't about to try a home-brew fix on it!

[​IMG]

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg204-e.htm

It's the new Walther PPS (Polizei Pistole Schmal - Police Pistole Slim) in 9x19 single stack with three different mags available, 6, 7 or 8 rounds, each a bit longer of course. It's supposed to be coming out this month and if a dealer's got one at the Raleigh NC gun show at the end of this month, I may well buy one.

It's supposed to have a 6.6-lb. trigger pull, I've read. I want to hold it and snap it a time or two and if that's true I'll be plunking down my hard-earned cash.

I know some of your Steyroids have Walthers, in particular I recall a few P99s aboard. Sound off, please, with your user experiences. I've been quite happy with my P22 and am feeling like being a guinea pig for this PPS. :mrgreen:

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Looks VERY interesting....

..I see some Glock, and some Steyr in there....

....I will have to take a gander at one of those myself.....

...Will this one fire the round in the chamber with the magazine out????

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Plus it is a subcompact with a rail! The best part yet!! You can strap all sorts of crap on there!

Time to buy those BIG pocket pants... :D

Just goofing off the "subcompact/hideout gun with a rail thing". Otherwise it looks quite promising.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Some folks like lasers on their pocket pistols - I'm not going to fault them for it. To each his own...

Though you just know someone is going to hang a tac light or M6(X) on it... :lol:

5. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

Netfotoj--

You zig faster than I can zag. After your research and purchase of the P-11 you convinced me to look that direction myself. I ended up with the new PF-9, a single-stack 9 mm +P "pocket pistol" that has got the trigger pull down to about 6 pounds from the box. I went to the gun shop to buy a NAA .380 ACP when I spied the PF-9 laying next to the .380. After a couple of questions and a trip home to look it up on the web, I went back and bought it. The final selling point came when it disappeared in the back pocket of my jeans.

I took it for a quick trip to the range (along with one of my Steyrs, of course) to check it out. Ran about 50 rounds of gun show re-mfg stuff through it, then a couple mags of Hydra-Shok. It has a pretty snappy recoil and will take a bit of getting used to, but everything was within a couple of inches of what I was shooting at.

I figure it is Steyr's fault. If I hadn't been so impressed with the Steyrs, I would not have looked at another plastic gun. Here's what it looks like.

Doc

[​IMG]

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Doc,

You just might have saved me a couple of hundred bucks or more. I didn't even consider the PF-9, just assuming it had that same awful 9-lb.-hammer pull as the P-11. Six pounds sounds doable, particularly since the new Walther at $550+ has a 6.6-lb. trigger and at more than double the price of a PF-9.

"Assume" always makes an a** of u and me, as the old saying goes. I'll definitely take a much closer look at the PF-9.

The PPS is longer than the PF-9, 6.3" vs. 5.85"; wider: .9" vs. .88"; heavier unloaded: 19.4 oz. vs. 12.7 oz.; same barrel length, 3.1", and capacity is less, 6 with the base magazine for the PPS vs. 7 for the PF-9.

I just love this site, Steyroids are most definitely smarter than the average Glocker and they've always got your back. Thanks, Doc! :mrgreen:

7. smores

smores Guest

:shock: That PPS looks AMAZING.... If the ergos are anything like the P99 and Steyr M-A1's I'll have to get one. Note that if you remove the backstrap, it de-cocks the striker and also makes the gun inoperable.

EDIT: scratch that it's mine... $550 though? ouch... I'll have to wait for some reviews.

Oh, and after more digging I found it will be offered in .40 S&W also (no details on capacity though): http://www.waltherusa.net/pps.htm

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Will have to give the PPS a look

9. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

It still doesn't beat the old PPK for looks...

10. smores

smores Guest

Yeah but it has a certain charm. I've always liked the (old) P99's (with the old style trigger guard) and this reminds me a little of it. I think I will get one... once it comes out in .40 :)

Although if the 9mm gets great reviews maybe I'll just have 2 :)

11. SELFDEFENSE

It does lack some of the charm, but makes up for it with a 9mm Para instead of a .32, uh, 7.65 mm that is.

12. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Somehow I find a supposed official "waltherusa.net" site to be a bit suspicious when it looks like somebody's brother-in-law built it and the only contact information on the site is for:
    Earl's Repair Service, Inc.
    437R Chandler Street
    Tewksbury, MA 01876

Call me paranoid, but I just don't see Walther operating its U.S. business from a storefront named "Earl's"!

I don't think I'll be purchasing anything from that site, nor would I recommend anyone else to do so. Hmmmmm?

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

No bad. It just proves than anybody who can plunk down the bucks can register any domain name they want, as long as it's still available.

Earl (or his brother-in-law the plumber who built the site for him in his spare time) obviously bought waltherusa.net because Walther wasn't smart enough to buy up the various versions of it's brand name. They could go to court and sue Earl, but they probably don't even know what he's pulled.

I just didn't want any of my fellow Steyroids to think they were dealing with a genuine Walther site.

14. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

Follow-up on the Kel-Tec PF-9

Follow-up on the Kel-Tec PF-9.

CDNN told me they would be getting more of the PF-9s this week. Their catalog lists them at $229 + 9.99 S&H. I paid a local gun shop price of $290 ($315 OTD, including WA State tax). The box comes with only one magazine and an extra finger-extension base plate. The manual says not to dry fire the gun, so if you get one, don't get the display model, if you have a choice.

Here is a site with a review of the PF-9: http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec9mm.htm

Doc

15. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Thanks for the info, Doc.

We've got a gun show in Raleigh, NC, coming up June 23 and if I can find someone who wants to be the next owner of my P-11 before then, I'll be looking to buy my next pocket pistol, a PF-9. That god-awful 9-lb-sledge-hammer trigger is my only problem with the P-11 and 6 lbs. on the PF-9 sounds just fine and dandy to me. Not to mention a whole bunch cheaper than that new Walther PPS.

16. SELFDEFENSE

I thought Earl was a major player in the Walther world

17. speed

speed New Member

Have you checked out Kahr Arms? Very nice engineering, build, reliability and accurate. I love my MK9.

18. SELFDEFENSE

My next pocket pistol is my new pocket pistol, Walther PPK.