Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In February I decided it was time for a new hunting toy. I figured I might as well post it on the forum so here she is.

Steyr Pro Hunter with blackened stainless barrel in 7mm Remington Magnum. Leupold VX-I 4-12X40 mounted with Leupold QRW 2pc Browning A-bolt base mounts (49847) and Leupold PRW rings (54149). I chose those bases and mounts as I didn't want the dovetail quick release Leupold mounts/rings. I think they look pretty slick.

I haven't made it out to the range/mountains to shoot it yet as the weather has only now finally started to get better. I will be going up shortly to see how she fires. :party:

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Looks nice.....

Keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pro Hunters Rock!! Be careful, you might just fall in love. I shoot the Pro Hunter Mountain chambered in .270 cal. She wears all the same hardware as your rifle except the scope. I have a Leopold Vari-X III 4.5-14X50mm on top of mine. I have had this rifle going on seven years and still can’t find anything to take its place for whitetail hunting.

I had some troubles when it came to ammo in the beginning. I started out shooting Hornady’s SST 130gr. I was doing good to keep a 2” group at 100 yards and always had flyers. After pulling out much of my hair I went to Winchester Ammo. 130gr Silver tips did much better to my surprise. They were shooting just over a 1” group with no flyers. Then I got my hands on the 140gr Supreme AccuBond and we really started cooking. I finally was shooting MOA and under at the 100 yard mark. Last year when I saw the 150gr Supreme Elite XP3, I had to give them a try and glade I did. Heavier the bullet smaller the group once again.

I can’t wait to hear your rang report. Hope you have better luck finding ammo that works for your Pro Hunter. Also would like to know what your thoughts are on your VX-I.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73 ... /Steyr.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to load my own ammunition using Nosler brass and I am going to try Barnes Tipped TSX 140 grain bullets first to see how she likes it.

When buying the scope I wanted a scope without an adjustable parallax that was the big thing for me. I was looking at getting a VX-III but at this time really can't justify the price tag. Maybe in a couple a years the prices will come down on the VX-L and then I'll get one of those. The VX-I is pretty nice though and it is Leupold quality. I picked it up for $239 shipped to my house off of eBay and they go for $279 + tax at the local big chains (gander mtn, sportsman's.)

Thanks for letting me know about your ammunition troubles.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
aubie515 said:
Nice rifle.

Everytime I see a Steyr rifle...I ask myself why I sold mine.
You sold your Steyr Rifle?????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Why???? :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aubie515 said:
Nice rifle.

Everytime I see a Steyr rifle...I ask myself why I sold mine.
The only thing I would have liked better is if my stock was black like Luke's. Mine is the gray color but that's fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hate to disapoint there IrkedCitizen but my rifle is just green not black. sorry if the pic wasn't clear.

can't wait for that range report. if the weather holds out i will post a little range report of my own soon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Luke2209 said:
Hate to disapoint there IrkedCitizen but my rifle is just green not black. sorry if the pic wasn't clear.

can't wait for that range report. if the weather holds out i will post a little range report of my own soon.
Ah, the stock looked black. It is darker than mine that's for sure and I could go for that. Lol.

Yeah I am just waiting for the weather to get a little better to melt some of the snow that is still up in the mountains. Maybe next weekend.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good luck with the snow. I’m hoping to do a little shooting myself this weekend. I just have the rain to contend with. When ever the time does come, keep us posted. "Until then keep em in the ten ring."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you shoot it yet? I've heard these rifles have lemons now and then from other forums, but when you get a good one it's very good. I am going to build a 7mm Remington magnum stainless with Schmidt & Bender 3-20 x 50. I'd like to know how it shoots and what you think before I sink the cash. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
222, you've revived a post from 2008.

You'll find if you carefully work the ammo, they'll all shoot fantastically. You've got the Steyr I'd buy, were I not fixated on the 7.5x55.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my new toy a pro hunter 300 win mag.Thinking a bought putting on a Redfield 3x940mm that all you need up here in Thea's parts of the woods.Looking to get some talley rings.I reload and I was wondering if any loads 300 win and what the best bullet to use for hunting elk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts