My new S40 ain't rignt

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Zundfolge, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

Looking at this one its pretty clear what's wrong:
    (look at the two odd triangular pieces in the gripframe just in front of the frame rails)

[sorry, pic removed because it was hammering my little web server]

So what is my recourse?

Will Steyr fix this or should I just get a refund from the guy I bought it from and find another S40?

I'm bummed. :cry:

2. dwillia29

dwillia29 New Member

Whoa... I don't own an S40, but I do have a couple of S9s and neither have that imperfection.

Perhaps all S-series (or just S40s) had those tabs and it's just a Q/C issue? As in the tabs should have been snapped off or otherwise removed and buffed smooth before the pistol went out?

From the pics, they kind of look that way; pieces left over from the mold.

Then again, I know nothing about polymer -- or any pistol for that matter -- manufacturing process, so I'm just guessing here...

I'd send it back to Steyr asap. I've spoken with Jeff re: FTEs in one of my S9s and the problem isn't resolved yet, but he offered to send me a new style extractor when they arrive. Very helpful. Based on your pics, I think you'd be moved to the front of the line with a quickness.

Just out of curiousity, how does it affect performance?

David

ps - if for any reason you're averse to sending it back to Steyr, i'll happily take it off your hands! :D

3. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

I haven't shot the pistol (nor will I until its fixed, replaced or I find out its okay).

Comparing the frame to my M40, those triangular bits aren't there. They clearly shouldn't be there, but they shouldn't be removed either. Those diagonal cracks should be there and the pieces should both be solid and rectangular.

This S40 also has a steel guide rod (which is not factory) so I suspect the previous owner may have rolled his own and not followed the reloading guides.

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

believe the S series had steel guide rods and some s40's were reported to have that problem. last recourse I heard was if you sent it in to steyr they replaced it with MA1 do recall one guy getting s9a1.

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

If it is a new purchase, try to get the FFL you purchased it from to do the leg work with Steyr and get a new S40 (after checking it doesn't have the same weirdness).

6. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

I'm going to call the dealer monday morning.

Its a used pistol and the S40 I used to own had a plastic guide rod just like my M40 so I didn't realize some came from the factory with steel ones.

Since its a used pistol I fear that the dealer is going to consider it sold "as is".

7. Slunglo

Slunglo Guest

It looks like these "triangles" are part of the frame and are cracked out from impact. If the slide moved too far back, maybe from a load too hot, it would hit this area of the frame. If the recoil spring was too weak it might also cause this. Anything that might cause the slide to move too far back. Regardless of cause... it's got to go to Steyr for repair! Keep us posted...

8. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Definitely looks broken, if possible I’d try get my money back.

...always a good idea to take a slide off and inspect the frame and slide in detail.

I wonder how many rounds the gun had thu it... :?

9. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

Yeah, I should have stripped it while I was at my FFL picking it up (I bought it from a dealer in New York and had it shipped to CO). Although looking over the rest of the pistol, I don't think its been shot a lot (I have several thousand rounds through my M40 and there is nowhere near as much wear on things like the feed ramp and breach face on this S40 as my M40).

It is a used gun, so if neither the dealer that sold it to me, nor Steyr is willing to help me out on it, what are my options?

• Can it be repaired (are there "polymer frame" gunsmiths out there that can fix it or can I buy some epoxy or just use some super glue)?[/*:m:2ojc7aia]
    • Is it serious damage that makes it dangerous to shoot (or unreliable)?[/*:m:2ojc7aia]
    • Am I just SOL an should set the gun aside as a parts gun?[/*:m:2ojc7aia]

10. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

confident steyr would service ya.

but if you wanted bedding compound may be a fix but a tough job to do. what happened was the slide peened into that area.
    may need to have the inside of the slide faced off some to prevent the peening if you decided to go with the arcaglass or epoxy bedding compound

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Genera ... =glock.pdf

warranty would surely end if you went that route.

11. Mortech

Mortech New Member

Wow Zund , saw your post on THR and responded before I saw your post here , looks like the previous owner hot rodded it before he sold it . Thats is obvious frame battering damage . I wouldn't shoot it since if one of those pieces broke completely lose , it could bind up your pistol .

12. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

13. WorldPax

WorldPax Guest

Probably not much help, but that gun is broke. I pulled mine out and pulled the slide off to compare. Send it back to Steyr.

14. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

zundfolge...

i have an s40 with that exact defect. there are no more s frames available. the only official steyr recourse is to replace the weapon with an m-a1.

(which is SPECTACULAR customer service IF they replace it)

it is caused by the slide slamming into these locating tabs. if you can, compare the inner lower lip of the end of the slide, inderneath the guide rod hole, with an s and m series. you can see a little flat has been milled into the s series. this is in an unsuccessful effort to avoid this problem.

those little plastic tabs serve two functions, they locate the front of the trigger sub-assembly, and they provide some "beefing up" of this part of the frame.

so, here's what i say. keep blasting!!! that's what i do. steyr can't fix this one, any other s 40 i bought would do this too, it functions flawlessly... so i decided to keep blasting.

i pulled the little broken pieces off.

15. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

If they'll replace mine with an M40-A1 I'll take it and there will be a brand new M40-A1 for sale here and I'll start the hunt for a replacement S40 all over again.

If not, I still wonder just how big a problem this is ... in looking at it, its not exactly the part of the frame under the most stress when firing, so I may just break the tabs off and ignore the problem. Or attempt some sort of repair with epoxy or something.

16. WorldPax

WorldPax Guest

If they were willing to replace it with an S9A1, I might trade you my S40 for it. If you didn't make me think about it too long.

17. azmike

azmike Guest

My S40 has the exact same issue. I have about 1000 rounds through it, all of which were Federal Classic 155 grain JHP, factory loads. Mine would fail to return fully to battery about 10% of the time. I'm probably wrong, but I think the recoil spring was too light for this load.

One of these days I'll get it back to Steyr, to see what they can do about it. Until then, it'll sit in the safe.

By the way, my S40 came NIB with a steel guide rod.

18. eggie

eggie Guest

big taco how many rounds do you have in that s40

19. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

like i said, i'd just keep on shooting it.

if you could miraculously find an unbroken s40, it would be worth getting the slide milled down so that it can't crunch that part of the frame.

20. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

Well I just got of the phone from the folks over at Steyr Arms. They told me to send it in and they would look at it (and they'll likely replace it).

Not likely the replacement will be an S, but at this point I don't feel confident in carrying this S40 (and I bought it as an EDC pistol).

Still, pretty good customer service if you ask me.

My old S40 had over 1000 rounds through it and it wasn't cracked.