My M9A1 first range session...

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by steveinaz, Sep 22, 2007.

1. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

Went to the range this morning, first time out with this M9A1. Fired 312 rounds. 12rds of 115gr Federal JHP; and 300rds of Winchester white box 115gr FMJ.

All firing was done off-hand at 15 & 25yds at a 6" & 8" steel plate respectively. I wanted to challenge the gun straight away, so it's first 12rds were 115gr 9PBLE Federal. My pistol *yawned*....then followed up with 300rds, again...it *yawned*. Not a single failure of any kind...BANG, BANG, BANG...312 times; perfectly. I split the 2 magazines 50/50 with shooting to make sure both functioned correctly. No problems.

As crappy as my trigger feels, I was amazed at how well it was shooting. It took about 5 rds to pick up a rythm, and the rest was history. The only times I missed (rarely) was clearly my fault. Can't wait to see what this pistol can do once the trigger calms down a bit.

Again, 312rds, not a single malfunction.

After cleaning this afternoon, the trigger does seem a little better---but not much. I still get movement on the front sight when dry-firing. All in all, a great day at the range though.

2. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Sounds like you got a good one..

Hopefully the trigger will smooth out in time.

Good luck on another 300 flawless rounds.

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Glad it went well. Strange with the trigger. Every Steyr I have fired has had a crisp 5-6 lb. pull out of the box.

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Steven* :)

Welcome to The Club. One thing that helped me w/ the trigger feel for my M357-A1 and my S9-A1 is covered in onna BT's kickass tutorials...somewhere. :roll: What made an immediate and very positive difference in my trigger feel was disassemblin' the firing pin assembly and doin' a fine polish on part #44 (firin' pin spring guide). I used some 2K grit sandpaper from Wal-Mart's automotive section. Then, I spent time doin' a good cleanin' and douchin' with a Q-tip in part #43 (firin' pin), then lubin' it all back up with a lite coat of Breakfree and reassemblin' it. When part #45 (firin' pin spring washer) is reinstalled on the firin' pin guide, try and compress the washer to the firin' pin guide makin' the mating surfaces "perfect". I used my bench vise and some copper plates to smash 'em back together, but some members have used big ol' pliers. <shrug> Oh, and make sure that the washer is properly reinstalled, with the beveled side toward the back of the slide. (PPL, correct me if I'm wrong! :shock: ) Anyway, thanx for postin', Steven*. Be safe and have fun! :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

Thanks Wulf.

This my 4th Steyr, I had 3 "M" series pistols in the past.

I did the polish on the firing pin spring guide rod, though it was already very smooth. I've also done the spring weight crimp "tweak." The firing pin seems to glide very smoothy in the channel, I can't figure out where the notchiness and heavy pull is coming from. I also removed the trigger group, cleaned and lubed it lightly. I'm pretty good with my hands and have a very good knowledge of mechanical devices; but after examining the trigger components in movement, I can't narrow down what is causing this. My other 3 Steyr's all had excellent triggers, right out of the box.

I'll just keep running rounds and see if this helps; just seems to be extremely heavy---my Glock 17 w/standard 5lb connector feels like a finely tuned 1911 next to this pistol...SERIOUSLY. I can't use my finger tip with this pistol--way too much shake--I have to engage it with the first joint to get the necessary leverage. I don't like shooting this way. I can live with the notchiness, I think that will smooth out with use.

6. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

Yeah, I'm a bit fuzzy on this one too. Does anyone have the definitive answer? Bevel back or forward?

7. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

The beveled edge faces the spring. I took note when I disassembled it.

8. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member