My M9-A1 range report

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by heavymetalmachine, Oct 8, 2007.

1. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Ok so I finely get to take it out and make it go bang :mrgreen:

I started off the day learning to disassemble and reassemble the trigger and sear set up. Not to bad still like the 1911 better tho...
    While I had it apart I took the time to make sure there was no burs or anything on part #10 and #11.. Again all that was not to hard. I got it all put back together.

So then I stripped the slide took a good look at parts #44 #45 #43. I did do some polishing on these mostly on #44. Yet again not to difficult to do..

At this point the trigger has improved. It is cleaner has a much more crisp feel to it,but still it's on the heavy side!! :evil:

Ok so on to the shooting!!! 300 round of WWB.

I have read so much on here I felt I had a good idea of what to expect and there were no surprises.
    Brass hitting me on the head the bill of my hat landing on my shoulders ect. That kind of stuff does not bother me and since most folks say it will stop after break in I am not worried..

The pull on the trigger is not so bad when while shooting.. I do not know if it is the sights or if I am moving the gun while pulling the trigger but my aim was off :roll: :oops:
    I know more practice will be needed and I don't mind that one bit..

So I shot 100 rounds of WWB whitout any trouble. I'm happy all is well. I am glad I got one of those UpLULA Universal Pistol Loader. What a life saver..
    Now I start the 2nd box of WWB loaded all 4 mags and all go bang no problem.. Load all four again this time I am into the third box of WWB. After I load the first mag it goes into the pistol and the pistol goes into the holster. I am giving my settable cant BT a try for the first time :)
    My habit is to load the first and it goes in the gun second mag holder three and four in left hand back pocket. So I do this and walk over to where I was shooting from I have to take a step up and when I did it happened I heard and felt a faint thump at the same time looked down and I had dropped my gun!!!!! :shock: :shock: It fell right out of the holster nose down in the dirt. I have never done anything like this ever before and was in shock..
    So I drop the mag rack the slide all while looking at the dirt on my new toy :cry: Pulled off the slide and popped off and looked through the barrel to make sure nothing was in it. Put it all back together and made it go bang.
    All I can think of was the whole Kydex thing is new to me and I must not have locked it back in the holster. I do not think it was the fault of the holster or the maker I do believe it was me. All I can say is from now on I will make da** sure to hear that **CLICK** as it locks into place.

Now at this point I have shot over two hundred rounds. The first mag after I dropped it I had a failure to extract. The brass had a good mark on it where it tried. The next mag ran fine then on the third mag another failure to extract. Then the forth ran fine and I stopped for the day.

I hope it was just me still in shock or maybe limp wristing it. I will run another few hundred through it and see what it does.

No pic'a as I was just plinking away at paper plates and not hitting as well as I would have liked..

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *metal* :)

A couple things ta check out...things that just scream out at me from some hidden, intuitive part of my mind. :shock: 1st, always tap ur mags after ya load 'em up and before ya put 'em in ur gun. 2nd, label 'em for diagnostics purposes so ya can ID 'em in the event of any failure. 3rd, disassemble 'em systematically, noting any abnormalities in each part and check 'em for spring tension, noting any differences, as well. (This can be done when they are assembled, too. Just push down on the follower and ya can feel the spring tension. <shrug> ) And 4thly, prolly having very little to do with the failures in question, "try not ta drop ur piece, Dude." :roll:

Wulf <-- dropped a huntin' buddies T/C 357 Herrett with a Leopold 2X7 scope over 600 feet off a cliff in the Wimenuche Wilderness onna sheep hunt :oops:

3. heavymetalmachine

WOW glad that wasn't me :wink:
    Hey did you recover the gun??

Thanks for the idea's but well I do tap my mags I am able to tell the apart And I always strip them down and clean them after every outing.

Now as for the "try not ta drop ur piece, Dude." :roll: All I can say is I will try.. :roll:

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *metal* :)

Plz don't take offense for me posting some "good auto loader practies". I throw this kind of verbal diarrhea out from time to time, not so much for our more learned readers like you, as for our more timid, lesser experienced auto loader owner/readers. They may be readin' it for their first time. I reckon it can't hurt ta spread it around "vicariously". <shrug> Gives people the opportunity ta learn it without feelin' embarrassed or humiliated in front of others. :shock: And, they may spread the word, too. Whataya think, Bro? :shock: Ya cn any method ta my madness? ;) Take care and keep us in the loop with wassup wit cher Steyr, Dude. :shock: Hava great week. :)

Wulf <-- sometimes likes ta admire 'imself nekid in the mirror :p

Oh, and btw, "yeah, we recovered the T/C." Took nearly 4 hrs and it was trashed, but after sendin' it back to T/C and Leopold, its fixed and workin' perfectly once again. :p ... 'course it'll always have a few "normal wear marks" covering the barrel, trigger guard and the scope tube. ;)

5. heavymetalmachine

I take no offense to any info given to me to help me. If someone is being a d*ck well thats different :wink:

It is you kind folks that will have to get used to my forwardness I can seem to be a smarta** when I really don't mean to..

So I apologize here and now to all I have and to all I will p*ss off.

I just an't always big on words especially if I am in a rush..

So thanks again for all your input :mrgreen: