My Latest Purchase

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by midtnshooter, Nov 15, 2007.

1. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Hey All,

Well here it is, my latest purchase. The Para-Ordnance .40 P-16 Limited Signature Series. I think I'll name her Ethel. My Steyr is called Betty. Sweaty Betty, she's always ready.

[​IMG]

Take Care,
    MTS

2. NicoX

NicoX New Member

Then send a review !

But don´t put more names to your guns!! :p :p :p

3. midtnshooter

[​IMG]

No problem. Videos also?

MTS

4. NicoX

NicoX New Member

If U can.. I like your gun, I will buy something similar.. but before I want a good rifle...

I compete with my Steyr M, in "production"

All the guns that U can find for IPSC like yours are used or very old.

5. midtnshooter

Have you ever priced a STI Trubor, Executive or even worse a Grand Master ? They range from a minimum of aprox 2K to as much as 4k. Now ask yourself, would you rather buy a used one or a new one ? To take the next step, from Limited 10 to Open, you have to be prepared to drop ALOT of money, and I mean ALOT. Some would rather drop down 1.5K + for a good used than one for 3.5K. As for the rifle, that's next.

As for naming my pistols, I believe naming them allows me to talk to them before a match without feeling stupid to myself. Everyone sees me talking to myself, if they only knew. The lbs on the trigger pull were spec.-d at between 2 - 2.3 lbs. I know I can't lessen my Steyr M40, but my 17 yo son can step up his techniques as well. I have always hated at boring someone elses race gun.

Take Care,
    MTS

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

If she shoots as good as she looks, you've got a real winner there with Ethel.

You reminded me of an odd habit I had back during the early '90s. I was a Apple guy back then and I named my new Mac in 1996 Lucy. But Lucy's hard-drive died, so I named the new hard drive Ethel. She's still here beside me in control room central, but when I changed over to PCs in the late '90s, names just didn't seem appropriate.

And I got a tomcat and named him Fred, so I had the whole cast except for Ricky. But Fred died. Where was I?

Oh yeah, never thought about naming my pistols, but for some reason I refer to them as "her"? 'Cause it would a real bit*h to get shot with one of them? No idea. Maybe for the same reason Navy ships are always referred to as female, but if they're named for a person, it's invariably a male. Never heard of a ship named for a woman.

If I had a point for this entire topic, I forget what it was. A mind is a terrible thing to lose. :mrgreen:

7. nixon

nixon Member

mts,
    I used to shoot ipsc/uspsa open class with a caspian frame/slide and Wilson dot tracker barrel and comp combination in 38 super and a C-more red dot on top custom made by one of the better builders in the SF bay area. Awesome piece took home some medals with it in the 3 years that I was active in the local club. I drop a little more than 2K and that was in the mid 90's. I sold it about 3 yrs. ago and almost got back the original price because It was still in vg to excellent condition. I still have my para p16 first gen with Brown bull barrel shoots very good too. I like your new toy p16 I hope it shoots well too. What I would not part with is my single stack springfield 45 acp fitted with a wilson bushing barrel that I also used in the limited class. It shoots so consistently that I double tap the same hole sometimes when I'm in a zone when I can hear/feel the slide movement and trigger reset even with ear muffs on. Those were the days my friend. Wish you good luck in your club matches.

Nix,

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Unless somebody dies and leaves me a big pot of money (and it ain't going to happen. I'm in the poor Myers branch of the family. We're so poor we could only afford one "e") I most likely will never own a high-dollar "race gun."

But I have been interested in .38 Super lately, looking at the EAA/Tangfolio Elite Match which I can get for about $460. And from what I've read and heard, it will fire 9x23 Winchester just as reliably if not more than .38 Super. So let me ask you "race gun" experts a question about .38 Super and 9x23.

Here's some numbers I gathered while researching my "Baddest Pistol I can afford" that led to my Llama IX-C .45.

Caliber Grains Type Mfg. FPS Muzzle Ft.Lbs. Muzzle
    357 Sig 125 JHP Gold Dot DoubleTap 1450 584
    9mm 124 JHP Gold Dot DoubleTap 1301 473
    .38 Super 125 JHP Winchester 1240 427
    9x23 124 JHP Winchester 1460 587

Obviously, .38 Super is hot, but not as hot as DoubleTap 9mm. But 9x23 is even hotter than DT's 357 Sig!

An article I just read rekindled my interest. Custom 1911 maker Mark Morris took an STI and rebuilt it in .38 Super for famed gun photographer Ichiro Nagata for the "friendly price of $4,000." (His "average gun" sells for $8,000.) The "Black Widow" is reported in Gun & Ammo's Combat Tactics in the Fall 2007 issue.

Here's a pair of custom STI's I found on his site, Morris Custom Pistols, but nothing as fancy as the Black Widow.
    [​IMG]

Morris says Nagata's Black Widow is designed to shoot a handload, 115 gr. Hornady XTPs loaded with Viht N 320 powder for a velocity of 1,250 fps, or to "shoot Corbon factory." He didn't specify which Corbon factory load he was talking about, but here's what I found.

But here's what blew me away with the STI-based "Black Widow." Writer Alfred Cripps said it "can ring an 8-inch plate everytime at 200 friggin' yards." Morris commented, "It exceeded my expectations for accuracy." Really?

Cripps said with a 7-yard zero, the Black Widow .38 Super "shoots 4 inches low at 100 yards and 10 inches low at 200. Hold in the shoulders and drop 'em in the boiler room."

My thought was, if Corbon factory .38 Super will do that, then I strongly suspect 9x23 shoots even flatter.

I've never tested my M357-A1 at long distances, but Wulf says he can hit a coffee can at rifle-zero distances.

Morris also made Nagata a custom mount for his Bianchi Cup competition Aimpoint sight, which is based on the Comp M2 military grade Aimpoint. If you're going to shoot that far, you gotta be able to see that far.

So now I gotta find a scope mount for my M357-A1 and start saving up for that Elite Match .38 Super and scope. At least that's a goal that's within my reach, a little over a tenth of the $4,000 price tag for the Black Widow. :mrgreen:

9. nixon

nixon Member

Netfotoj,
    Gone are the days when I would spend like a drunken sailor to get what I think was the baddest piece I can get my hands on.

I believe that 38 super made by EAA/Tanfoglio is a good idea. Thye have gone a long way in as far as quality and function is concerned at the right price too. If you roll your own 9 mm ammo, you can use the same die set, shell plate, priming system, same bullets etc. all you need is 38 super brass and you're ready to roll away.

I'm actually interested at HK P45 but the price is revolting to me for a polymer.

You got to be seriously considering reloading NETFOTOJ coz the price of ammo no longer make my wife happy. :( dont know about yours :wink: Don't think you want your range time reduced ? even cost of componenents are rising, however, it is still cheaper - meaning you can shoot more a lot more for the same money compared with buying ammo.

Go and get one of those elite match and let us know your range review.

have a good one !
    Nix,

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

looks sweet.
    Can't wait for a long term test

11. midtnshooter

Yeah, the Tangfolio was one of my other choices, but this fell in my lap. The choice to run with .40 was because my others are also .40. I am going to start reloading. Any recommended reading?

Also .38 super brass is expensive!

Happy Thanksgiving !

MTS

12. midtnshooter

Re:

Hey Nixon !

Open Class is my next step after I "at least do....okay" in Limited (Currently shooting Limited 10 with the Steyr M40). I choose Limited 10 because I could have the possiblity to mod it up. I have always wanted to run Open Class, but I feel that I need to take a slow aproach and take little steps at a time. I bought the Para, which arrived to my FFL (Guns and Leather, Nashville, TN area) and boy that trigger was so light, I could sneaze and the target was punched. I will now step down to Production with the Steyr and see what I can do against the other IPSCs and might sign onto IDPA as well. The guys I compete against curently (Limited 10) have moded their Glocks out and I STILL walk away saying :shock: HELLO :shock: !

:lol: MTS