My journey to Steyr

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by xjrat, Dec 5, 2006.

1. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Since I picked up my Steyr yesterday and put 160 rounds through it and was so HAPPY :D with it I thought I would let you know how I got here.
    It was a dark and stormy night ... oh wait wrong story.
    Ok I had taken my wife shooting w/ an old colt revolver and rented a glock 9mm. She LOVED the colt and liked the golck a little. She did good with both and I encouraged her with the golck, but it was a little big in her hands. After shooting I thought that would be it for awhile and had no intention of even looking to buy a gun. But she did have a great time.
    So one day as I sat at work with nothing to do, I just for the heck of it started looking at guns. I started where most amateurs start, Glock, I went to glock's home page to see how many models they were up to now. I had always liked glock but hadn't been into guns for a few years so I just wanted to get up to speed. I stumbled upon glocktalk and lurked there for a while. As I read there I would google what ever guns they were talking about just to see what was out there. Still no intention of buying.
    Then a few days later I saw a strange brand name on glocktalk, steyr, WHAT THE HECK I thought that can't be a gun. To google I went typing it in then checking my spelling then checking it again to make sure it was right. Ok I was right it's not a gun it's a motor car, oh wait, it IS a gun. Click the link and I got a very strange language but nice guns on the screen. I REALLY REALLY like that strange AUG thing. At the bottom of the page I see m-a1, Click, my world just changed forever 8-O !!!
    I thought that was a nice looking gun I MUST know more about it. The search had begun, I now had "intention" of getting a gun, even though I had little info about the gun and hadn't talked to my wife yet.
    I ironically found out about steyr thanks to glocktalk and again found thehighroad.org through glocktalk and then found steyrclub through thehighroad. When I found this site I was hooked. Now how to talk to the wife :roll: Babe were buying a gun and that's it :twisted: ha ha,no but it was convenient there was a gun show coming up. "Hey hun I am thinking of going to the gun show, sweetie,dear, love of my life. Uh while I am there I was looking for this new gun I just heard about I just want to see what is looks like." She said "good, are you looking to buy one?" I said "Uhh I was thinking maybe if you want to, but not before we talk about it, oh and you are the most beautiful woman in the world..." I guess that worked because she agreed and thanks in large part to YOU GUYS and GALS and the go ahead from my GREAT WIFE I now own a steyr.
    This site is a VERY good place to go when looking to buy a gun. Most of you a NOT biased to this brand, so you give very informative answers. I love the fact that most own more then one brand. On some of the other sites when someone brings up Steyr that person gets slammed for wanting JUNK "Why would anyone want a Glock knock off?" So after reading here I was not afraid of steyr and could make an informed and educated decision about getting a gun. Where at other places even places that SAY they aren't biased you guys prove it...
    sorry this was so long but just wanted to share.
    THANK YOU!!!

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

lol you said motor car :lol:

just funny. may not be if your a 3rd worlder,inuit or amish.

glock knockoff is what glock owners call everything else.
    truth is HK beat glock to polymer pistols.

Steyr design is interesting design oddly it should have came earlier in evolutionary process but for some reason got skipped but came back to.

steyr is more of a hybrid polymer/steel frame gun which is most likely what people will see further to come. SigPro,S&W M&P, FN FNP/Browning Pro and a few other designs. Kel-Tec's, Taurus PT's and 24/7's. forget what the others are.

welcome to the club

would type more but totally sick
    ah the joy of winter :(

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Glock knock off?????????? Now those are ignorant bloggers :!: Of course we here know how innovative that Steyr's are..............And the quality is better then a Glock, that is easy to see from casual inspection :wink:

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Whoa, before the Glock fight begins, 8-O

I like some Glocks. <shrug> I've had the opportunity to shoot nearly every Glock available to Mr. Public. My favorite is a G36. The one I shot was an awesome shooter. A shootin' buddy and I were plinkin' at Carona bottlecaps 7 to 25 yards away and dead centered quite a few, and it didn't seem to matter much what we fed it. From some of my 185 gr JHP's reloads, 230 ball ammo reloads, to Wal-Mart Winchester 230 ball ammo, they shot well. There were actually quite a few FTE's in the first 200 rounds but it was gettin' more and more broke in and started with the fewer and fewer FTE's till we ran outta ammo. To date, the reliability issues with this G36 seemed to have ironed themselves out and its as accurate as always. The small mag capacity was the only downside to me, but for the most part, that was precisely why I tended to like it best...single stack mag helps make the grip feel better to me. I've been hearing quite a bit about FTE's lately with some of the M Series Steyrs, but really, it's not in my personal experience with either my M357-A1 or my M357-A1 with an M40 barrel on it. There are a couple LEO's round here that have M40's and to my knowledge, they haven't experienced any FTE probs following a proper breakin. (Course, I wouldn't even consider any NIB firearm for carry, not until it appeals to my confidence barriers both in reliability and consistant accuracy.) Most local LEO's carry Glocks for their duty sidearms, though. I've met some people who obviously prefer their Glocks to anything else available, but the real zealots seem to be quoting only the reliability issue. Sometimes I wonder if its part of their own mental personal defenses, needing to have their confidence stroked. The most balanced and unbiased sounding pub talkers that prefer their Glocks all have kinda big hands, I've noticed. If you're out and about and the Glock-thing comes up, look first at their hands. If they are very small, its the ever present spoken of "reliability" that beckens to them. I've never heard a smallish person say, "I like my Glock because it feels great in my hand". <shrug> If their hands are large, its the generic reliability speaking to them. <shrug> If they are loud and obnoxiously overboisterous about them, adamant beyound reason, they're probably women or closet homosexuals. :wink:

J/K :p

Wulf <-- Real He-Man 8)

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Now ya did it............. :roll: being politically incorrect and insensitive to minorities and gays......... :oops: Now youre gonna have to be sent to Steyr Sensitivity Seminar 101........... :lol: BTW I'm picking up my new Glock 20 thursday............. 8)

6. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

let us all not forget our beloved pistols were designed to be the next generation glocks, by a glock employee.

It is only when the design idea was shot down that the gentleman took the design to the only other Austrian firearm maker, which had been out of pistols for about a decade. Though of course they have been in the precision rifle business and well known for that since the mid 19th century (and yes at one point made car parts when they were a subsidiary of the dhialmer corporation).

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

The Steyr is not a Glock knockoff, but an evolution of the Glock (trigger, safety system, bore axis height, and sights). I used to CCW a Glock 17L and 19 and now carry an M9 (Steyr, not Beretta :) ).

8. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Damn, Shooter! 8-O

U goin' 10MM on us??? You got big hands, Bro. :roll: Still, a proper range report is in order. I read somewhere that most modern over the counter 10MM ammo has been reduced to the neighborhood of 40 SW because the recoil was shakin' 'em to **ckin' pieces. I'd say, load the piss outta 'em. :twisted:

Wulf

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I love the way the 10mm Glock shoots......its the counterpart to the 357Sig round. The recoil was sweeeeeetttttt !!!! The forty was an abortion....IMO.
    Not all those 10's were downloaded that low. On one of the Glock forums one of the plokes took a small deer at 50yards with a Gold dot 10mm......I'd have used the Win Silver Tips, they are the closest to original in major brands left. There are several specialty loaders that make a wicked 10mm for hunting, but i bought a small stash of Silver Tips.........Gold Dots are always a good choice........yep, with the price of 10mm, I'll be reloading all right....... :lol:

10. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hehehehe...

Tis an excerpt from an article that I ran across the other day. If you're interested, here's the url for the rest of the story. :wink:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

It's got some pretty good ideas but sound more like a Mossad Ayoob plug. <shrug> Still, I think its got some good info. Check it out.

Wulf

Sorry PPL. :oops: Seems that Shooter and I have managed to shift the thread. Well, it's Shooter's fault! 8-O

11. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

BTW, Shooter

LMFAO!!! Now whose bein' politically incorrect and insensitive? :p You just opened yourself up to a whole can o' whoopa**, Bro. Heheehe..."Ride 'em, Cowboy!!!"

Wulf <-- Fixin' to watch Shooter bull ridin'...whippin' and a spurin' :p

12. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Sorry, that was a bit strong, and the forty is OK...... :oops: I just would rather not shoot it......thanks for the 10mm article. He probably hadn't shot it in a Glock............. :wink: YOU HIJACKER :!:

13. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

thread hijack in full progress

[​IMG]
    only reason 40sw is loaded so weak is because certain gun manufacture likes to make unsupported 40sw barrels.
    ammo downloaded to work in all guns.

40sw can get into 10mm territory with handloads and the same companies making full power 10mm make full power 40sw,9mm and other popular cartridges.

10mm's advantage is 200gr bullets.

quite content with 40sw sending 180gr bullet of choice 1150fps
    loaded for about half the price of 10mm ammo. Steyr M40 handles it well and is scary accurate.
    ----------now return you to your regularly scheduled thread

if you drink could be set for beer for life. number of steyrs seem to need fixing and parts replaced. perhaps if not beer ammo. perhaps you could talk with the people at steyr and befriend someone and get some answers for us

14. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hey...

Butt out, MrA. :evil: Me and Shooter are hijackin' this thread! :twisted: Come to think of it, "Sorry, bout that *rat." <-- Wulf's sincerest apology Fact is, we're glad to have ya aboard. Oh, and BTW, "Informed...yes. Unbiased...sometimes. Willin' to party...always." :p