Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the re-hammered GB out today for a quick 30 round smoke and function test. In every respect it exceeded my expectations for smoothness , accuracy, reliability and O-Yeah soot build up. Holy Moly filthy . 30 rounds transformed the internals into a tailpipe from a crosstown bus.
Is this a dirty little secret no one talks about or was my generic gunshow remanufactured stuff especially funky.
Do you who shoot them have prefered ammo ,powder or secret magic clean up tricks?
Maybe I got the non-turbo diesel model.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I like to compare the GB to the HK 91 in terms of how dity it gets...So yeah, they get filthy rather quickly. Most reloads I've shot have been much more dirty then factory loads. Maybe someone that rolls their own knows why it's that way.
Always shoot jacketed bullets as lead can leave deposits ( more like smears ) in the bore and also gum up of the gas cylinder. I've used speer lawman, blazer brass and alum cased, federal from Walmart and many others over the years. None has given me any issues.

As for cleaning, that depends how anal you are. Some people like to have the outside of the barrel nice and shiny after every cleaning session. That really isn't needed, but it sure is pretty. The rings around the barrel, the end of the barrel where nose cap rests and the inside of the nose cap should be kept clean. Feel free to use pretty much any cleaning solution you want, but just be sure to remove the grips and the takedown lever. The reason I say the lever is it has a small rubber o-ring and you don't want it drying out. Removing the grips gives you access to all the guts and makes it easier to take the hammer out again...cause you like putting it back in, right? :cuss:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for answers. Sounds like situation is normal.
Joel, is that stuff the Oven cleaner? Cillit Bang is of course unfamiliar (although it sounds like a bad movie I saw long ago ) but Easy Off sounds like oven cleaner and that makes sense.
Dash, I wake up at night, in terror, thinking the hammer pin fell out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what powders are you using for your reloads?
I would try some Vv N340 or Hodgdon Universal both burn relatively clean.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Joel, is that stuff the Oven cleaner? Cillit Bang is of course unfamiliar (although it sounds like a bad movie I saw long ago ) but Easy Off sounds like oven cleaner and that makes sense.
Well, it seems it's more like a general purpose house cleaning stuff.

But indeed, maybe it could work as well on a dirty oven (and I'm going to try some such things on my GB, just to be sure I'm not missing something great, thank you for the idea :thumbsup: ).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts