My First Steyr

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by luvmy40, Jul 18, 2007.

1. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

I recently won a drawing at my pistol range. The prize was enough in-house-cash to pay my membership and pick up a new Steyr M9A1.
    I looked at the Steyrs about 6 months ago when looking for a new CCW weapon. I eventually opted for the M&P40c.
    I wound up getting the M9 over another base model 1911 .45ACP because I already have a few .45s but no 9mm.
    I brought th M9 home and disassembled it for initial cleaning, fluff&buff and to condition it with EEZOX.
    The only fluffing I wound up doing was a little polishing of the feed ramp. The quality out of the box is exceptional and I am extremely pleased with the ease of disassembly.
    The next day its off to the range!
    It took me about 50 out of 200 rounds to get used to the sights. They shoot low for me when "nested". I'm dead on if I stack the sights to form a pyramid.
    Once I was comfortable with the sights, I was stacking rounds at 7 yards and had a nice group at 15 yards. Admittedly I am not an expert shot with any pistol but this one performed as well as any i have ever owned. My M&P does feel better in my hand but that may simply be familiarity. Thats not to say that the Steyr felt bad, just different.

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have been reading some threads about a new gun from Sig, the P220 I believe, It is being touted as the next great gun of all time by some Sig fans. It does look interesting. One of the features that is being hyped is the frame's steel sub-frame that is removable from the poly frame/grip in a very similar manor as the A1. The word is that it will be interchangeable with a compact poly frame and convertible from .40 to 9mm to .357sig. Is this the case with the M9A1? It has also been said that it is only the steel frame assy. that is FFL accountable. No SN on the poly frame.

All in all, I very happy with this pistol. I t won't take over for my primary carry simply because of the extra size as compared to my M&P40c, but it is a very viable alternative.

2. Dag

Dag Guest

Hi luvmy40

First of all, welcome to Steyr Club. I don't think you'll be disappointed. There is an amazing amount of knowledge here, so don't be afraid to ask questions. I think you'll be happy with your new Steyr. I picked up an M40-A1 awhile back, and I really like the gun. For me, it's the ergonomics and the sights. I've got small hands, and the M-A1 fits me like a glove. And I gotta say, I like the trap/triangle sights on my Steyr better than any pistol sights I've ever used. :shock: If I could get 'em, I'd put those sights on every pistol I own. No bull! :!: So shoot the heck outa your new weapon, read the forums here, and enjoy!

Dag

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Looks like you have a keeper! If you want that thing to really melt into your hand, go put a hogue tool grip on it - they work much better than the handall IMHO. I've recently discovered they can be had here from Hogue direct.

If you're interested in the caliber conversions, you would have been better served by a M40A1. The 40/357 only need a factory or afermarket barrel swap to trade calibers, and can be made into 9mm with nothing more than a magazine and special barrel from IGB. The bottom end is the same on all models - the slide and barrel are different.

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Welcome. Glad you had a good initial experience. You might find in the future the capacity and sight radius advantages of a full sized service pistol might result in the Steyr finding itself on under your shirt with more regularity. 8)

5. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

Hi again,

I carried the M9A1 for the first time today, all day. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised at how comfortable and inconspicuous it was in my home made IWB.

I also made another range trip and shot with it in my PPC group. The sights have magically aligned themselves with POC!:lol: OK so I spent a few hours practicing dry fire drills and realized I was pulling the POA down. I order my reloading dies and other assorted goodies today, so I should be able to put some serious range time in with this laser beam soon :D :D :D

I'll post some of my Gibsonesque art at a later date.

6. Dag

Dag Guest

*T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L*

Hi luvmy40

Sorry, briefly off topic:

I see you're a Heinlein fan. For the uninitiated: TANSTAAFL - acronym for "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" from, as I recall, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

OK, back on topic!

Dag