My first Kydex attempt

Discussion in 'Holsters' started by heavymetalmachine, Oct 22, 2007.

1. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

So I thought I would give making a holster a try. I have received some great stuff from Rich for my Steyr I thought I would do something for my RIA..

So here it is my first attempt . Please try not to laugh to hard :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to cut and dye the leather. Note to self wear rubber gloves while dying :wink:

Was a huge learning curve I hope the next one is better..

Well off to make another :shock:

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And if you be holdin' your very own handmade holster, I bet it gets a lot better lookin' each time you behold it!

And function trumps form every time in my book. If she holds that hogleg of a 1911 RIA, she's done her job alrite.

And I bet you learned several ways that won't work that can be applied to the next effort.

Some idiot asked Thomas Edison if he felt like a failure because of his 740 failed light bulbs that didn't light. He replied "No. I just ruled out 740 ways that wouldn't work before I found the one that did work."

So keep on keeping on. Winners never quit and quitters never win. :mrgreen:

3. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

Heith,
    Looks great! makes my first attempt look like a joke!
    I made a form from a piece of aluminum coil stock for the belt clip tabs.
    Sorry about the lousy pics, my kids absconded with my good camera and I haven't had the time to track it down.

Any way, I form the clip around a wood blank then put the aluminum form in place and reheat the tab end with a heat gun. Then I use the putty knife to push the Kydex into the channel.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but you should keep making "stuff" and I know that I appreciated all the pointers that I got when I started out.

Rich

BTW the clip in the pic is a CTAC clip, I didn't have any of mine handy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam, *metal* :shock:

Looks great, Dude. Its truly "your's" and the next one you make will be a "more refined onna your's". The Kydex w/ a leather backing is a great way to go...strong, light and conceals nicely. If I was gonna wear my rig overtly, then maybe the leatherwork would be a more important part of my holster, visually. But for conceal, hopefully no one's really appreciatin' my rig at all. :shock: And, Rich, thanx for bein' a standup guy. The progress with your product has a "leaps an' bounds" aspect to it. So far, every different one I've seen posted looks professional and "individual". The only thing that can't be known is how it feels to the user and that can be pretty easily "tweaked" by the user...cant and backing contouring fitting is a snap with the Kydex-leather products. Ya reckon a few of you more knowledgeable members could put together a few tips about "what ya need ta know about conceal rigs and how best to achieve their fit" for me an' the boys? :shock: I mean, I may be yappin' out my pie hole, and no one's very interested 'cept me in tweakin' their rigs for conceal, but when I was messin' with my crude-by-comparison-to-other-guys' holsters, I found that Mark's IWB Crossbreed was an exceptional product for the $ and a great platform for IWB Kydex and leather. But it was only after I had cut the rivets off, re-angled the cant and taylored the leather backing a little more to contour my body better, that it all came together for me. <shrug> And, in the process of doin' all of that, I gained a little practical knowledge and experience that helped me with my own conceal holster design. I began to think of my holsters as "modular"...a sheath and a backing with an adjustable cant. Course, all my old leather backings look like pin cushions now, but with all my dickin' around, I learned to take a piece of leather, trace around my favorite backing pattern, punch the rivet holes in the best places and rivet ever'thin' back how it fit me best. Hell, I was quicker than a NASCAR pit crew!!! :shock: And, don't be afraid ta try it, Boys. I'll never belittle anyone for their holster designs. The worst holsters I've ever seen were some of my own abortions. :shock: But, learning to work with Kydex and leather has opened up a whole new dimension for us armchair holster makers. :shock: A few basic skills and a few tools and some hardware and whallah...your sky's your limit. :) Think about it, all you experienced conceal carry members out there, PM me with some helpful tips for us not-so-experienced members. I'll buy ya a Corona. ;) Oh and,

ATTABOY, *metal* :)

Wulf <-- still tryin' ta fig'r out how ta make an invisible conceal holster that won't get in the way fer nekid galz ;)

5. charmincarmens

charmincarmens New Member

Kind guys

These guys are just trying to make you feel good. That has to be the uglyest holster I have ever seen. You aren't really going to wear that, are you ? But I do give you a "A" for effort. Sorry. Thou shalt not lie. :twisted:

6. heavymetalmachine

Re: Kind guys

Hey thanks man for making me feel so good :D

It does the trick and is quit comfy..

I don't really care if it is ''ugly'' all you will ever see is the clips unless you are unlucky :wink:

Rich
    Thanks for the info on the clips!! I almost called you. I did make some wood blocks to match my belt. I just bent the ends up. I had guessed you had some sort of jig..

Wulf
    You got some pic's??? Post um up so I can see..

Thanks all for the kind and unkind words :D

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Looks good to me! 8)

8. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

Did you buy that leather from online? Is that just regular cow hide? How much was it?

9. heavymetalmachine

I got it at HobbyLobby

I also picked up a bag of leather bits and some dye..