Steyr Club Forums banner
2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  FlaChef 
#1 ·
well people....it happened at last...my first FTE with my M9....well...actually haven't shot the thing all that much, maybe 600 rd total now...but i finally got an FTE....the first prob ever with that gun. Was shooting 115 grain WWB bulk packs from Wally World. Hot motherbleeping day at the range, was after about 2 hours of rifle shooting (got my Yugo 59/66 SKS out for the first time ever today....damn that is fun to shoot!)...moved over to the 25 yard range....my brother had put about 80 rds through it not prob, i switch off with him, he used my GP100 for a while, while I shot the M9, second round out a 10rd clip....FTE...dropped the mag, kept her pointed down ranger...took a good solid jerk on the slide to pop it open...slamed the mag back in and went back to work...no more probs...

fired another 30 or so rounds before we called it quits....too freaking hot to shoot anymore.....was about 95 with a heat index of about 115 today...drank about 3 cans of soda, and 2 bottles of water in 2 hours, never even had the slightest urge to piss.....sweated all that water out of me....wheew!

still love my M9, but i can no longer call it perfect....ah well....

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I'm not too worried yet. Will give it a good cleaning tonight, along with all my other guns i shot yesterday (just had no time to do it yesterday)...will hope this is not the beginning of big trouble.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
actually i think you are dead on

Deluxe,

Actually i think you are right, and that was my first thought when i had the FTE, i wasn't focusing so much on my form, i was just plinking and having fun with my brother and my soon-to-be father in law. After that FTE though i focused on my grip and never had any more probs...not that i shot a whole lot more that day.

Cleaned the M9 out last night, little breakfree CLP, toothbrush, and patches....she looks like brand new.

I'm not too worried about at this point. if i get more of these while i am alone at the range and really practicing, i'll start to worry, but i think this one could be attributed to user error.

A side note: went to 3 Gander Mountain stores in my area last week.... all have Steyrs at this point. 1 new M9 for $300, a M40 used for about $370, and an M40 used for $489!!!.....amazed at the price differences on the 40s between two stores....one must be like NIB and the other shot quite a bit.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
yup

they are in separate counters, and these were in fact in 3 different stores.

my guess is that the $489 one being the M40...the gun dept there knows they are sold out nationally....maybe demand is picking up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.