My Dilemma; M9-A1 versus Caracal F

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by BoreBrusher, Feb 5, 2013.

1. BoreBrusher

BoreBrusher New Member

First post here, just joined a few minutes ago. I have a dilemma, I am not sure if I should go with an M9A1 or a Caracal F. Either way I want a full sized gun. I have never fired either but i have dry fired both and love the triggers. I was going for the Caracal and then I think I discovered that mags are scarce, and actually, now guns are too. I believe that every handgun should have at least five mags. Well, locally I found an almost brand new M9A1 and talked the owner down a bit. We were a bit delayed getting together due to competing schedules so in the meantime I acquired 3 extra 15 round magazines. When we finally hooked up I found he had a frankenstein gun, one of the M9A1s with the M9 slide and M9A1 frame. I was really torn but rather than lower my offer price I just cancelled the sale. I felt bad since he was meeting me with his two kids in the car.

So now I have three Steyr 9mm mags. I read that some Caracals may be about to hit the market. M9A1s are out there, so that is an option. And now you guys tell me the L9 is coming!

So, assuming I can only get one do I go and get a M9A1, or get an older M9 with a savings of around $150, wait for a Caracal, or wait for an L9A1?

2. Jubal

Jubal New Member

Well, I have 2 of the "FrankenSteyrs" purchased recently (I didn't know at the time of purchase), and I know some people are put off by that (I was too initially), but to be honest I have not had any problems, and I was told by Steyr America they would honor any warranty work. That being said, I feel (in my opinion) that these pistols are better weapons than those I have had previously (and I had some excellent pistols). I may have been just lucky (and that may change) but I'm great with what I have. I will look at getting an M40A1 or an L9 next, but I'll hang on to these also.

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Nothing wrong with the so called 'FrankenSteyrs" - They are 100% Factory guns and will produce about as many real problems as the mythological "Gun Show Loophole"....

Probably should have picked it up....

I have a few Steyrs, but I think my Caracal outperforms them in every aspect other than appearance. I absolutely love the Steyr M-A1 design and Trap Sights.

4. Riogrande481

Riogrande481 Member

My Frankensteyr is a gem. I did the full Big Taco treatment (parts and a bit of polishing, not the latest Taco Bell treat) and the result has me wishing I had bought another Frankensteyr.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

This, without a shadow of a doubt. The only reason I would recommend Steyr over Caracal right now is due to the safety recall that is still in the works. Caracal is the better shooting, more reliable gun.

6. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

I would probably wait for the "freshest" M9-A1 I could get. You may see Caracal guns very soon and you may not. They could rot in customs for quite some time after the factory gets them on a boat. I have never held a Caracal much less shot one but if it's nicer than a Steyr they should be a good weapon.

7. Riogrande481

Riogrande481 Member

I have held and dry fired a Caracal C. I almost bought an F, but the slide finish was not up to what I liked so I never bought one. With all the recall stuff I am glad I did not buy one.

Still loving my Frankensteyr.

8. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

Got an e-mail from Caracal today. They expect replacement guns for the recalled ones by the end of this month but it will be no earlier than April before new Caracals will be avalible for sale.

9. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

This is my first post, I picked up a Frankensteyr just today. Love at first sight, and I beelined to the range to check her for function and she chewed up two boxes of remington hardball flawlessly. In the last few hours I have been voraciously reading everything I can find to learn more about these beautiful pistols and found the forum here. I am really enjoying learning what you guys have to say!

Seems I have a pre-2002 slide with the old extractor, so I plan on ordering the upgrade parts for that, but she runs fine as is. She came with (2) 15 rounds mags and I just ordered (3) 17 rounders from Brownells.

I think it's the beginning of a love affair ;)

Cheers!

Rob

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Excellent!

If you have no issues with the installed extractor, DO NOT replace it.

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Agreed. Every gun does not require the new design parts - only fix it if it is indeed broke.

12. BoreBrusher

BoreBrusher New Member

I think I am going to ride with what I have for now (just the three M9 17 round 9mm mags). I am deploying in Afghanistan. When I get back I will do one of the following;

A. Snap up an M9-A1
    B. Buy an L9-A1
    C. Buy a Caracal and flip my Steyr hicaps for Caracal hicaps