My Custom S357 Sig Project

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Joemb, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Joemb

Joemb Member

Heres a bunch of progress pictures and after pictures I took of my custom Steyr. Sorry the pictures aren't great, they're from my crappy phone camera. It started as a project gun but quickly became my favorite gun to carry/shoot. The frame modifications now make this grip fit like a glove for me and the .357 Sig barrel is insanely accurate / fun to shoot! The pistol started as a M40-A1. I installed a BT steel guide rod and BT delrin bushings which were both great upgrades IMO. Shortly after I swapped the barrel to .357 Sig after scoring one from another Steyrclub member.

I didn't like how the butt of the gun printed so I chopped the grip and reshaped it to the "S" frame size. It now accepts S40 magazines.
    gripchop.jpg gripchop2.jpg gripchop3.jpg gripchop4.jpg

Then I ground down the serrations and indents on the backstrap.
    backstrap.jpg
    backstrap2.jpg

Next I undercut and polished the trigger guard.
    undercut.jpg

After the undercut, my grip was much higher and the finger groove didn't fit right so I removed it also.
    undercut2.jpg

Next I contoured the edges of the grip from square to more round corners. I felt this was a drastic improvement for the grip. Then I ground all the texturing of the sides of the grip because I planned on stippling later. I removed the "Mannlicher" on the bottom but left the small Steyr logo next to it. I then polished the entire grip smooth.
    undercut3.jpg
    side.jpg

b_minus likes this.
  2. Joemb

Joemb Member

I decided to Cerakote the frame "Magpul OD Green". Unfortunately, I didnt get pictures after all the prep work (blasting, degreasing, taping...) Just in and out of the oven.

oven.jpg cerakote.jpg

Now it was time to make borders and sand the negative space back to black.
    cerakote2.jpg cerakote4.jpg

Finally, it was time to finish it with stippling. I went with a medium dimple stippling. This gave a great grip and feel but wasn't too aggressive that it would rip shirts/skin.
    stipple.jpg
    Last thing I did was paint the front sight triangle orange and the rear trapezoid black.
    steyr1.jpg

Some after pics
    steyr2.jpg steyr.jpg holster.jpg steyr5.jpg

STEYRFIRE, MicPop and Case like this.

3. DekNgo

DekNgo New Member

That looks really good!

4. b_minus

b_minus Active Member

Nice job! The frame mods, the paint, the stippling, all look awesome. Well done.

5. Case

Case Well-Known Member

6. GLW

GLW Member

Very nice! I'd like to see if anyone has done any other customizing like machined slots in the slide barrel area

7. MicPop

MicPop Active Member

Man! That looks great!:)

8. Joemb

Joemb Member

Hey thanks a lot guys!

9. Joemb

Joemb Member

I've only seen a couple people who have machined their Steyr slides. One was a ported barrel and slide done by Mag-na-port. It looked really nice but I cant find the picture. Another one that comes to mind is Ccombatcarl's S40 seen here https://www.steyrclub.com/threads/s40-conversion-barrel-9mmm.12020/#post-97119. And this L9-A1 from Dixie Gunworx http://www.dixiegunworx.com/custom-worx-2/

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    b_minus likes this.
  10. JaySol24

JaySol24 New Member

You really worked on this, looks like a quality result, hope it shoots well for you and thank you for posting, the photos are fine