my brand new m357a1 broke today after only 30 rounds

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by tommy, Feb 21, 2007.

1. tommy

tommy Guest

brand new m357a1 broke today after firing only 30 rounds

the "firing pin spring guide" broke and stacked at the top hat.

i am irritated.

damn good thing i was not in a gun battle when it broke

shot 24 rounds (two clips) last week when pistol came in and was planning on shooting about 200 rounds today when the spring guide broke after firing six rounds. cartridges fired were pmc green 85 gr. and today
    remington umc 125 gr. these are the only brand cartridges available locally over the counter

you would think that this spring guide would be made of stronger material

make sure your first six rounds count...

tommyT

2. Angel

Angel Guest

man! I would be so irate. Especially after you worked you hard to find one.

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully SAI will fix it and turn it around quick.

3. steyrile

steyrile Member

That's a bummer.
    Would be terrific if Steyr USA offered a small parts spares kit for just such emergencies. A little packet of springs, firing pin, extractor, etc available at a nominal fee...
    Oh well.
    Health, Peace
    steyrile

4. ToadWhisperer

ToadWhisperer New Member

Tommy, I work customer service for Cooper Firearms. We build the most accurate production rifles in America. As the guy that does all the repair work on these fine guns I can tell you that any company, no matter how diligently they test there products, will have a certain amount of failures get through to the consumer. It’s an unfortunate fact of life.
    Don’t let this incident discourage you. Contact Steyr, if you haven’t already, and give them a chance to make it right. I’m willing to bet that when all is said and done you’ll be a die-hard Steyr fan like the rest of us.
    I’ve fired about 2,000 rounds (I know, that's a not a lot) from my M40 without any issues and, while I don't claim to be an expert, I have recommended it to quite a few people for personnel protection, including my own son.
    As with ANY firearm used for defense, it needs to be function tested through at least 500 rounds. Not something you’d want tacked on to price of the gun.
    Good luck and be safe.

5. tommy

tommy Guest

my brand new m357a1

thanks for the replies

i am not giving up on the Steyr.

6. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

was it near the c clip or at the slide end plate?
    whats your striker spring guide rod made out of?

7. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Tommy, the same thing happened to me......Steyr fixed it and had it back to me in less then two weeks, new striker and spring guide. Good choice of calibers.......... :D

8. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

as toadwhisperer said, it is literally impossible for any manufacturer to build every part exactly the same and guarantee every part's function.

many people believe that metal is 100% uniform, thereby guaranteeing that any given production lot will be 100% the same.

the reality is that small inclusions in the molten material can clump up meaning that as the material is forged, or pushed through the die, or led through a continous caster, this clump can create a brittle zone in the material.

if any air gets into the material (especially common in parts that are cast), the air can create a pocket where no metal exists.

we're all familiar with wood, and it's inconsistent directional grain. think of metal the same way. but the grain is microscopic, and through different processes we can control it's structure.

even during the manufacturing process, a brand new cutting tool on a lathe that had a 0 degree cutting radius has an extremely sharp point. 0 degree radius means that the tip is not rounded at all.

this point can leave a series of scratches as it passes down the metal, each of which becomes a stress point.

through statistical process analysis, (which sounds fancy but really just means "measure what you just did") the manufacturer can determine which processes yeild the greatest number of consistent parts.

the only way that a manufacturer could 100 percent guarentee that every part was 100% accurate would be through a series of tests including measurements of all dimensions, qualifications of finish, x-ray, and actual bench testing.

these are the kinds of things that consumers of $10,000 rifles have come to expect. and these kinds of tests are what you're buying for $10,000.

modern manufacturing processes yeild extremely consistent parts.

the warrenty exists specifically to cover those few, very few, parts that are flawed.

hopefully steyr will make good on this. if not, my next project was to re-design the steyr firing pin guide rod.

i'll make good on it, if steyr will not. and give you a warranty, just in case my part is flawed!

it happens to the best of us, and i will continue to keep steyr in my personal best list.

9. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya BT :)

Hey, when ya gonna have them new stainless steel guide rods available to SC Members anyway? Just curious cause I wanna be 1st in line for one for my M357-A1. I gotta new S9-A1 that I'd like one for, as well. Plz post here or PM me. Thanx. You rock, Dude! 8)

Wulf

10. steyrile

steyrile Member

Hey Wulf!
    I thought the S guns came with steel guide rods. You upgrading to stainless?
    Health, Peace
    steyrile

11. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya stey* :)

They do and I am. :p So, what's your point? 8-O The OEM's ain't stainless steel and BT didn't make it for me. <shrug> If you're gonna go all out with a carry piece or keep a home protection' device by your bedside, ya might as well make 'em reliable, sh*thot shooters, my way o' thinkin'. Hadda good Army Ranger Bro in TX usta tell me, "Man, always improve your position....". Then we'd drink some more Caronas and blast away. Works for me. :p

Wulf <-- Thinks stainless steel guide rods and drinkin' Carona = improvin' 'is position 8)

Also, BT...

Get clued in to irc and join us at *Steyrclub for a live chat. PM me if ya need a little help. Hope ta cya there. 8)

12. steyrile

steyrile Member

No point Wulf.
    Just getting things straight in my mind exactly what the S comes with since I see one in my future. :D
    Far as as having a reliable piece, I'm with you 100%. Plastic guide rod not so good. Stainless IS very good.
    Health, Peace
    steyrile

13. Wow,

Thats first time I've heard of that happening and I've been coming in here for a long time. Didn't hear anything prior to this forum about this kind of thing on Glock Talk.

Hey, I guess everything thats mass produced is bound to have a lemon at some point sorry it had to be your pistol.