Multiple questions on the M9-A1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by chp5, Nov 2, 2007.

1. chp5

chp5 Guest

Hi and this is my first post here. Well, I’m a Glock guy. I carry and compete with Glocks in USPSA/IPSC. However, I always enjoy trying different guns.

I was interested in shooting an M9-A1 and found a rental gun at a local indoor range (I hate shooting inside). Anyway, I really liked the M9-A1 and plan on buying one to play with. I’d appreciate your thoughts on a few topics before I buy.

1. Trigger. The M9 had a nice out-of-the-box trigger. The only thing I’d like is a shorter reset. Is that achievable and, if so, how difficult is it?

2. Sights. Interesting sights. To hit POA, I had to hold the tip of the front sight higher than the top edge of the rear sight. In other words, something like this: ---A--- (that’s the best I could do on the keyboard). Is that normal? I didn’t notice – are the sights metal or plastic like stock Glock sights?

Also, do any other sights fit the Steyr dovetail (e.g. Sigs sights)? It seems like only PT makes after market sights for the Steyr and they are too fat for USPSA shooting for me.

3. Grip. It’s a good angle for me but slightly too thin. To me, it points closer to the Glock than my M&P. It looks like guys here use the Hogue Tool Grip (which is designated as not fitting firearms??). Does that grip have palm swells or is it straight? Any other good alternatives?

4. Buy New or Used. I have a line on an M9-A1 locally. $280 with 2 hi cap mags and I can avoid any shipping or FFL fees. It was imported by the former distributor (GSI?). I worry that I can’t get warranty work on an older A1 as the second owner and I won’t have a chance to shoot it before purchase. So buy used or get a new one from CDNN for $340 + ship + $25 FFL fee?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. bmitchell

bmitchell Premium Member

I have to 'ziggurat' the sights as well to hit what I want, as did my Beretta friend.
    The tool grip really marries the grip to my hand. It does not have palm swells but it does have two finger ridges, one of which kind of rests on/next to the finger ridge on the grip, which can feel a little annoying. The tool grip can be difficult to install but I was not present for the installation of mine (my Beretta Pal did that for me since I had to go to work, and I believe he was on some cold medicine at the time).
    The price looks right to me. I've only heard great things about SAI's service. I looked around for an M9-A1 locally and bought the first one I saw, which was unused and overpriced.

3. cyberiad

cyberiad Guest

I've only had my M9-A1 for a couple of months. I am not aware of any way to reduce the reset. There are some articles by "Big Taco" on the main page that may help. I too shot mostly Glocks before buying one. I recently used the M9 in a match and didn't feel the reset was a problem and definitely didn't short stroke the trigger

I think the tool grip has a slight swell but I can't remember for sure. I decided I didn't like it and cut it off and threw it away. The tool grip comes in a pack of 3 - 1 black, 1 red, and 1 blue. If you want the blue and red ones I have left email me. I'll sell them to you for $5. I'm going to modify the Wesselman grip tape made for a Glock
    http://www.ericwesselman.com/store/store.html and try that on my M9

I bought a new one sight unseen and the trigger is very nice (and getting better with use). I think SAI would take care of you if you buy a used one. I haven't had to contact them but all reports are that their service is very good

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The Hogue Handall Grip is also used by many Steyr owners and its finger ridges are more pronounced.

Here's the Handall on my M357-A1 and M40-A1.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's a new thread on the trapezoid sights and point of impact: Steyr sites and POI?

As for buying new or used, that $280 M9-A1 sounds like a great deal and the importer, Steyr Arms, doesn't care who was original owner. They service current owners and from all reports, service is quick, cheap or free and excellent! I haven't needed them yet and been an owner for over a year. :mrgreen:

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

$280 is a phenomenal price. If you decide to pass, perhaps you could share the sellers info? I don't think I could pass that up, even though I already own one... :twisted:

6. chp5

chp5 Guest

So you'd have no issue buying used? Do you think Steyr would do warranty work on a used gun? Thanks.

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

They do it all the time - SAI doesn't care where it came from... it's their product and they stand by it.

8. chp5

chp5 Guest

Thanks for the replies guys.

So are there any other gun sights that fit the Steyr dovetails? The rear looks like a Novak-type cut.

9. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

the factory sights are metal.

10. 1. I'm not sure you can have a shorter reset than the Steyr has now through aftermarket modification. However, I have always been very pleased with the reset and found it short enough. I think going any shorter with the reset would become a safety issue.

2. The trapezoid sights are metal and are designed for fast acquisition. If you want something more accurate or traditional you cav always go with the traditional 3-Dot Sight whether day or night. Any dovetail sight that will fit the Glock will work with the Steyr. However, I do really recommend the PT night sights as they will install the sights for you free of charge if you send in the slide and of course purchase their sights.

3. For those with bigger hands the Hogue Tool Grip is good-to-go with the MA1. I use one on my Steyr and find it actually works better for me than front and back strap options on other pistols.

4. If they will let you field strip it at the store and it looks to be in good shape than you may want to go with the used pistol. Even if the owner treated it like crap you can always send it into Steyr Arms for service work and they are excellent about handling customer service. Right now I would say they are the best in the pistol world for customer service and warranty work.

11. cyberiad

cyberiad Guest

Will any sight made for a Glock actually work on an M9? Even if I could modify, say, a Sevigny rear and put it on my Steyr I would have thought that the differing sight heights would cause a problem (I haven't measured the Sevigny and Steyr rear sights but they look different to me, by eye)

Does anyone know of PT make all-black front and rear sights without Tritium? I might like to try traditional sights on my Steyr but I don't want night sights

12. chp5

chp5 Guest

I shot about 250 rounds through the Steyr today and I'm impressed. The stock trigger was very servicable.

The grip is too thin for me and I put a rubber sleeve on it. The funky sights were very easy to pick up and worked very well on open targets, but were hard to use when shooting "head" shots at 12+ yards. It did seem to send a lot of brass back on my head though.

It would not come close to fitting into my Glock holster. What holsters fit a Steyr?

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

See the Holsters Forum for everything anybody here knows about what fits M and MA1 series pistols. :mrgreen:

14. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member