Moving to a new city....

Discussion in 'Texas' started by fnewendaiku, Apr 10, 2008.

1. fnewendaiku

fnewendaiku Guest

Moving to the north! Got a new job and will be moving from Houston to Dallas.... well, Ft. Worth... Mansfield to be exact. I'd like to know of some nice places to go shooting and if possible, anyone who'd like to go when I move up there.

2. Jakeborder

Jakeborder New Member

Welcome to N.Texas. Syntax will be able to help you out on finding a good shooting range. I'm still waiting to get my first gun, once I do I'll be down to go shooting.

3. fnewendaiku

fnewendaiku Guest

Excellent. Still working on getting a consistent aim really. I was also thinking of looking into one of those competition shooting shindigs once I start getting use to shooting. I haven't been shooting much even when I got my Steyr. Perhaps I can get some pointers when I get up there and meet ya guys.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Mansfield is really close... In fact, my good friend (and board member silverx0ne) lives in Mansfield a bit off south 360... We have a growing Steyr cult - 4 of us (5 M9A1's between us and another 2 on the way...) :twisted: Alpine will be very close to you - it's a decent enough outdoor range, though it is often pretty crowded. Bullseye is located over in Duncanville - the lighting/ventilation sucks and the facilities are lacking, but it definitely works if you need an indoor range. There are other indoor range options if you travel to Dallas (DFW Gun Club [sucks] :evil:) or go further north (BulletTrap in Plano - reportedly good). Quail Creek (outdoor) is out to the north west and is supposed to be a good range.

My main complaint with the local ranges is crowding and the outdoor variety do not allow FMJ rifle ammo :evil:.

And you rock the ultra-rare M357A1? :shock: I'll definitely trade you a few rounds downrange on my suppressed M9A1 for the chance to do the same on the .357SIG :party: What else do you shoot?

Just curious - what age bracket do you fall into? There's always room for another Steyr shooter here in the metroplex! :beer:

5. fnewendaiku

fnewendaiku Guest

I'm 27 at the moment... as for other weapons, I only have a beretta m92fs. I think I'll be giving CDNN a call sooner or later to get a M9A1. My uncle said he wants to trade me the beretta for a colt 1911. I'll definitely want to take that off his hands. I also got one of the last 40s&w barrel and slide kits from CDNN a while back. Been keeping that thing on the Steyr cause I like my golden sabers. Just seems nice in the back pocket.... Though an SA1 would go nice back there too

So sure, I'll definitely want to try out your M9. Letting you shoot the 357 is a small, yet definitely worth it, price to pay to see it in person :)

I'll let you know when I'm going to be permanently up there so we may be able to go to one of these ranges.

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Sounds good! :beer:

7. JaegerWulf

JaegerWulf Premium Member

Give me until this summer (and that stimulus package money) and I'll have my own M9-A1. I'm in Plano right now, but will be in Lubbock until December. Getting out of the Marine Reserves in May. All I know is the M-16 A1 and M-4. I know slim to nothing about pistols though. Can't wait to get one and then to get a CCL. I haven't tried the BulletTrap. When I do, I'll let you all know. I'm used to the outdoor ranges in Lubbock though, so my bias may be evident. In any case, I'll see you guys when I get a chance. Be safe and have fun :)

8. fnewendaiku

fnewendaiku Guest

Hey Syntax, I got in town and am settling in. Just want to know when a good time and place to shoot may be. Kind of anxious about getting to a range up here.

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Any of the ranges I mentioned before will work, with my strong preference on Alpine (outdoor) or Bullseye (indoor)... I would meet up with you on a weekend, but class just started and I'm broke :oops:. Give me a couple weeks to get my head back up above water and we'll set something up :beer:.

You should be aware that there is a Dallas Market Hall gunshow on June 14 & 15 - $7 to get in. I've always found them to be worth going to, though it seems prices have been getting a little out of control around here lately. The DACA shows are pretty big (bigger than anything else I've been to in the area) and it's a good way to kill a few hours on the weekend if you are interested. I'm not 100% I'll be making it to this one or not yet...

10. silver x0ne

silver x0ne New Member

Would be nice to get together and do another shoot em up weekend... I have the upcoming weekend off 21/22. If you guys want to get together then I'd be down!

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I can probably swing it... You're thinking Alpine, I assume?

12. Jakeborder

Jakeborder New Member

I'm down, I need to make sure I don't have a lemon.. :lol: