More Shootings.

Discussion in 'The Soap Box' started by Specter, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Specter

Specter New Member

:horse::wall::horse:

More shootings happened in the Greater Seattle area this evening, but didn't take place within Seattle city limits as many of them, more often than not, do. They were a lot closer to home today in a city south of where my permanent residence is– for those who don't know this kind of thing does not really happen on the Eastside (that's what my area is called, usually in reference to a handful of the cities east of Seattle) and if it does it's hushed and doesn't make the news.

It's concerning to say the least because, based on the lack of details from the news, the shootings appeared to be arbitrary with two gunmen (speculation on it being gang related) <http://www.komonews.com/news/local/98688659.html> the state park it took place at was made famous in the 70's by Ted Bundy.

Do those of you who live in the smaller "quieter" areas of major metropolitan areas encounter this sort of thing? or are the people of Puget Sound just losing their @#%^(* minds? :willynilly:

I am sure this is also exactly the reason most of you carry from day to day– as I shall start doing soon too.

2. Jakeborder

Jakeborder New Member

I live in a pretty quite area of the DFW Metroplex, and every once in awhile you will see a home invasion in the local city newspaper (in the area where they show all police activity); but you NEVER hear about it on the news or in the bigger newspapers.

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I live in an area that is one of the wealthiest 20 square miles in the US. But, it's Metro Atlanta and the criminals commute. We have some car jackings and more than a few home invasions. It goes part and parcel with being in relative proximity to urban areas. The worst time of year is in the months leading up to Christmas. The smash-grabs at the hotel parking lots start things off in October/November. Once the police crack down on that the crime moves to the mall with armed robbery. Then, once that is dealt with the home invasions start. Some of these home invasions are occurring in gated communities.

Living in a quiet peaceful community is no guarantee that one will be safe. The criminals know where the pickings are good. Luckily our police department is top notch and the criminals invariably leave the area via Georgia 400 where the police know to be waiting for them.

4. darksidemxer

darksidemxer New Member

it happens everywhere, even out where i live 25miles from the closest town. i have had people follow my fiance home from in town...to our house next to 500acres of woods and on a dead end street. i met them at the gate, being polite at first then after hearing their intent pulled the doublestack para. just the other week a couple was strangled and stabbed off some backwoods road while stopped at a light the people jumped them in there car.

5. demac777

demac777 New Member

I don't hear a lot about that kind of thing happening around here, not that it couldn't and hasn't happened, but I think people here know they are very likely to get their ass blown off if they mess with the wrong person.

6. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I think that you really need to remain aware of your surroundings no matter where you are at. There may be different levels of awareness for different situations, but the problem is that trouble can come at you when you would least expect it. I'm not talking about paranoia here, but only acknowledging that the stuff can hit the fan most anywhere at any time.

7. Specter

Specter New Member

You said it, I think the last thing these people expected was getting shot or shot at. I do my best to pay attention to what's going on, especially when I know I am walking through a bad area or an area with a higher crime rate– I spend a lot of time in Seattle around the University which has a lot of muggings take place.

8. GROUPER TROOPER 32

GROUPER TROOPER 32 New Member

You are much nicer than me. A shotgun at the low ready would have been a little more in line. I understand that you live far away from the nearest le office but did you or she call them? If things went south, it would help your version of the story being believed. I encourage anyone being stalked/followed to drive directly to the police station and call them. Never drive to your home. Even though you showed them you are willing to go to the edge to protect yourself and your loved ones, they now know where you live. And get a tag number if they turn around.

9. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

i kinda got that same impression when i drove through your neck of the woods 2 weeks ago...

very sound advise...

10. khoff

khoff New Member

here in north florida around the panama city area home invasion robbery is rampant.it happens daily!most we don't here about because of the liberal media bent ! DAILY , this is true !

11. Narsil

Narsil Premium Member

Having been to DM's home, this advice is quite sound in theory but extremely impractical in practice. He lives essentially at the end of a dead-end street. Unless he carries a shotgun in his car, he can't have it at low-ready when he exits the vehicle. He also wouldn't know that the people in the car behind him were really following him until he got all the way to his driveway. He would have to turn around in his driveway and drive a half-hour or more to get to the nearest police station. I think he did what was best in the circumstances but having his g/f call 911 while he was exiting the vehicle would definitely be the best idea as there would be a recording of the audible portion of any dialogue occurring.

12. GROUPER TROOPER 32

GROUPER TROOPER 32 New Member

From the post, it sounded like gf was coming home and DM was already home. It also seemed like she was being followed before she turned down her street. I may be reading into this. If someone I don't know follows me to my drive way I will be exiting the vehicle firearm in hand, discreetly, of course.

13. Narsil

Narsil Premium Member

Perhaps, then, I misunderstood. I thought they were both in the vehicle at the time.