Modernizing the Steyr collection

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Whisper, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Whisper

Whisper New Member

As I mentioned elsewhere, because I've moved away from the .40 caliber, I am hoping to trade my M40s for M9s once the classified section is working again. In the meantime, I've sold off a couple of other guns, and so I decided to modernize the Steyr collection: Yesterday I picked up an M9-A1 at a local store (Tier One Guns in Monroe, NC -- Carlos is a friendly guy and shoots a Steyr himself) and I've ordered an L9-A1 from Trellix Tactical.

I had time yesterday to put only a box of ammo through the M9-A1, but there were no failures to feed or eject. After reading the thread about the L9-A1 ejecting brass into a shooter's face, I was alert to this possibility, and I did have a few cases hit me in the chest, but most went wide and to the right as you would desire. I will be watching this but I expect ejection will become more consistent as the gun breaks in.

Some thoughts:

-- I was reminded of how fantastic it is to shoot a gun with such a low bore axis. I've not shot my M40s in a couple of years as I focused on the 9mm and .45, and it was great to experience once again the Steyr's quick shot-to-shot recovery times.

-- The M-A1 gun seems bigger than the M. The more squared-off backstrap and the larger rail under the barrel aren't all that much different (and in fact the M9-A1 fits well into a Wild Bill's Concealment open-end holster for the M) but they're so noticeable that it gives me the impression the gun is almost a different size.

-- The trigger is definitely improved from the M series. Even new, it's crisper than the triggers on a number of other autos I have that are well broken in.

Now I am looking forward to the arrival of my L9-A1 and to some comparison testing. And more practice.

Cheers,
    Whisper

2. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

Congrats on the new purchases. Enjoy shoot in and don't run out of ammo!

3. misterlarry

misterlarry New Member

Congrats on your new pistol(s)!

4. Whisper

Whisper New Member

The L9-A1 has arrived, and I picked it up from my local FFL today. Now to see if the rain will hold off tomorrow so I can get it on the range.

Thanks to Trellix Tactical for their speedy shipment. Dealing with them was a pleasure.

Cheers,
    Whisper