Miata's

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hihoslva, Apr 4, 2005.

1. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

Allright! A fellow Miata junkie!

Don't listen to the haters, man. Anyone who thinks it's a "fag" car has never toe-heeled from 5th to 3rd and slammed an onramp at 65 with the engine wailing and the tires squealing.

I inherited my father's '93 Miata a few years back. Unfortunately, I sold it after owning it for about a year. But I'm constantly scanning the classifieds for another one.

I'm driving from AZ back to NY for a wedding in June, and I'm hoping to do it in the Miata I'll buy between now and then.....

They are amazing little cars, and I don't think there's a more fun car to toss around at any price.

2. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

I'm seriously hoping to buy a 1st gen Miata (I'm a sucker for the flip-up headlights) and do a nice build on it over time. Performance & looks. Supercharger, a clean body kit, suspension upgrades, and some nice 17"s with good rubber to fill those wheel wells.

I've always wanted to auto x, too. And a Miata is just the car to do it in.

3. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

I suggest sticking with the 14's or 15's even if they don't look as cool. Big wheels kill the fun in these cars. Everything else sounds like fun though, I'm thinking of going the FI route too.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Suh-weet

Gun people are good people. I had a 10AE a few years ago and that was total blast with its 6-speed, Torsen limited-slip and Bilstein suspension all from the factory. That thing would drift the rear end so easily and controllably it was almost too easy. Trips to the grocery store were mini auto-Xs to me.

That Anniversary blue is still the best blue of any automotive blue (aside from the BMW Montreal Blue) IMHO.

Jeff

5. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

Hmmmm...what's wrong with 17's? I mean, I think the newer Miatas (maybe even yours) have 16's stock, and I think 17's were an option or something.

I would think that some nice wide, low-profile rubber would increase the handling. Remember, I live in Arizona so I don't need all-season tires on it; I can go with non-snow rated tires which are far better on dry roads.

Maybe the bumpier ride with low-profilers is what "kills the fun" in your opinion? I can understand that I guess.

Meh. I think that blue is very nice, but I'm more of an "old" Miata fan. Mine was Mariner Blue - the original non-metallic, in-your-face blue. I still love it.

I'll probably go silver or charcoal, however. If I can't find one, I'd do a paint job. My vision is for a dark charcoal or silver car with black racing stripes, and ghost flames in the stripes.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Is that the "Smurf" blue? Yikes, even when Porsche did that with the 993, I couldn't stand that color. It does stand out, however.

FI is way cool. I rode in an FI miata and it was fantastic! The closest thing to riding a motorcycle in all of cardom.

7. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

It's a law of physics that acceleration is faster when the greater amount of mass is located closer to the rotational axis. Yes, the 2001+ have 16" wheels but unless you get a MazdaSpeed one they are no fun. Big wheels make Miata's feel heavy and kill that sprite, nimble feeling that you got the car for in the first place. To each there own, but I run on 15's and wouldn't go up a size if they were free.

My car is a 2000 LS, the only second gen Miata I would own other than a 99 Sport or a MazdaSpeed version. Otherwise I would own a first gen.

8. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

Yeah, dude. Smurf blue. I love it.

FI is definitely cool, and is in the gameplan for my Miata. While I know there are cheaper and maybe even more-powerful systems out there (including turbos), I'll probably go with a Jackson Racing setup. I like the idea that they have been researched and tested to death, and I'll have an easy-to-install product with good support.

I don't care about making the most power - enough is good enough :)

9. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

Pax - that's interesting info. But what about using lighter wheels, decreasing the unsprung weight? This wouldn't help?

I will have to test drive some Miatas to feel the phenomenon you're describing.

Also remember, suspension upgrades are in my plans, as well as engine work, so hopefully I'd be able to counteract any handling deficiencies with larger wheels.

All these plans for a car I don't own and haven't even FOUND yet......:)

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree, with aftermarket FI the most important thing is reliability. A properly calibrated fuel management system is the difference between grins and tears. I have a 350Z now and on their forums there are a lot of people that just go for top numbers and grenade their engines getting an extra 25-50 hp with a new or inferior timing-A/F ratio system or changing the SC belts for more PSI of boost. I'd rather go with the proven intercooled Vortech system that has a proven timing control and A/F system on the stock belts. A reliable 375hp at the rear wheels is quite enough for me!

Worldpax - how about some anthracite SSR Competition forged wheels in 16" with Titanium lug bolts? They are so light that if you choose tires carefully you may keep the same rotational mass of typical 15s. Of course your wheel/tire package will now be 1/4 the cost of the car and you'll have to tip-toe around potholes, but what style and performance!

I guess we should move this thread to the pub...

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh lord another coincidence thread

Amazingly I am a Miata guy too - especially amazingly if anyone remembers my thread on GT about finding a holster for a 5'10 280lb guy - not your typical Miata driver.

I have the 10AE #4779 - being in MN it's a toy rather than transportation but we get plenty of summer drives in and 27K trouble free miles so far - no mods or addons - I like to keep original!

Now how come I never see other Miatas at the range? :twisted:

12. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

Is it possible for message boards to be too directed. Should we start-up Quasi-Liberal Miata Steyr Owners.com?

8O :lol: :roll:

13. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr New Member

1997 M Edition, British Racing Green with tan leather interior and top. Only comes out on special occasions. And you thought all I did was shoot.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Do I sense a combined Steyr Shoot and Miata Meet in the near future? What a cool idea, we can set up a combined autocross/IDPA shoot with the combined lowest time winning - talk about a biathlon!

Jeff

15. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

Now this is funny, so what's everyone go by on Miata.net :lol:

IDPA Steyr, ever tried autoX? All your talk about being smooth while shooting reminded me of when I instruct new autoXers and stress smooth driving habits. Two completely different disciplines yet similar philosophies.

16. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

Now there's an idea!!!

17. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

And my prelude or ripped's mustang will take the auto divisions :lol: :lol: depending on how much cornering/strightaways

now if only i could shoot as well
    :oops:

seriously after briefly owning a MX3 I never want another mazda (even if the RX8's appear to be bad arses)

also after I've rolled one car I'll never want a convertible 8O

18. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

Not a chance, I regularly beat Preludes and Mustang Cobra's.

19. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

Wow - so many Miata-philes! This is excellent!

I'm even more anxious to buy mine now......

A Miata/Steyr meet - what a novel idea! I think the ultimate would be a target auto x - we could all race around a track while shooting at targets. Hits knock 1 second off your track time....lol....yeah right.

I still can't believe we've got so many Miata guys here. Great minds must think alike......