Maybe it is time to move.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smores, Nov 14, 2007.

Did I overreact?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. smores

smores Guest

As someone who's had his car broken into/vandalized several times, I'm no stranger to waking up to the feeling of anger and despair of being a victim of petty crime. Home invasions are in the police blotter of my local newspaper every week, most within a few miles of my home (or closer, even on the same street!).

Late last night, I had just finished baking an apple pie with my gf, we literally had just pulled the pie from the oven and set it on the counter when we heard a "pthunk", and looked behind us to see egg on the window. I pause for a second, think "I really hope this isn't the start of some Home Invasion BS." My gf looks at me and says, "DON'T JUST STAND THERE, GET 'EM!"

So I grab my AK (well, Arsenal SLR-106FR in 5.56 NATO), and switch to semi. I run outside, and thankfully no one's there. I go back inside after seeing the damage (just one egg, but still a PITA to clean) and call the police non-emergency line to make a report. I'm really glad I didn't have to confront anyone, but I would have loved to put the little punk under citizen's arrest, or at least give him a good scare so he doesn't continue harassing people in fear of pissing of the wrong one.

Was it wrong of me to fear a home invasion, or react the way I did? I'm sick of seeing stories on the news of people being the victims of Home Invasions. Around here, it's always "multiple male suspects entered a house/apartment, shot/stabbed/bludgeoned and wounded/killed the resident(s) of such and such house last night." You never hear of someone fighting back. I just want to get opinions from you guys.

2. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Maryland is probably not the best place to run outside and confront an egg thrower with an AK.

http://www.baltimorereporter.com/?p=3628

Sounds like they are working on replacing their current "duty to retreat" statutes with a "stand your ground" statute but have not yet advanced to the "run outside and pursue with lethal force" stage.

3. smores

smores Guest

Yeah, you're probably right. In retrospect it wasn't the best idea...

4. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

I do sympathize with your desire to discourage attacks on your home, grew up in rural southeast PA and as a kid saw timely shotgun blasts in the air discourage would be thieves and later in life disperse a bunch of teenagers intent on reenacting a west side story style gang fight - but times have changed and now such actions are more likely to be viewed as "life threatening responses made in the absence of an imminent threat"

If you really wanted to mix it up with the egg throwers you could run outside with a carton of eggs or a super soaker but that would probably just encourage em and from what you have said about your neighborhood - egg throwing could be an attempt to lure you outside so they can ambush you and then plunder your house.

If you don't want to move you might consider trying to organize a neighborhood watch group in an effort to stop the downward spiral.

5. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

This is what pellet guns are for.....steyr in one hand (just in case) and a pellet gun in another to pop the little f.........ers

6. smores

smores Guest

Sometimes I regret selling my electric airsoft AK-47...

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Considering Maryland's draconian gun laws, if it was me, I'd move at least across the Virginia state line and while you're at it, find a better neighborhood, too. You probably did over-react to an egg thrower, but as was already suggested, it could well have been a prelude to something far worse. Life, limb and property should certainly be protected, but when the thugs outnumber the good guys, maybe it's time to pack up and get the H out of Dodge.

I've got a sister-in-law who lives in Baltimore in a nice, quiet neighborhood, but you couldn't pay me to live in a big city of any stripe. And when we go visit here, my NC concealed carry license ain't worth a hoot under Maryland law. :mrgreen:

8. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Should you move?.............. YES !!! Why don't you move to Nashville? I lived in Memphis most of my adult life and was held up twice and my truck broken into twice in front of my house.

About ten years ago, I moved to middle Tennessee and have never looked back. This area is based around the family. Even the bad in our community is far less intimidating and threatfull than other parts of the world. Your life, your family deserve better. Should you run away ? NO. Should you stay in harms way, just to take a stand...no.

There are ALOT of jobs here and I will assist anyone with their move.

As for the AirSoft gun...... I bet you'll get some kids P*ssed off at you. When I lived in Memphis growing up, we had a neighborhood that was called "Voodoo Village". This street had houses with spikes bolted to their exterior walls. My father (LEO) told me to stay away from there repeatedly. Did I listen...no. A group of us pilled into a car and went to see for ourselves. These families would block you in their street with a large retired school bus. We took my buddy's car through the grass of this corner street church in a successful get-a-way. I think they started the weird home construction to get the city's youth to stay away. They actually did more harm than good. Hopefully those kids in your area will get bored with you and move on to something more productive. Maybe birthing some ancor babies or getting hooked on new vices.

Take Care and PM if you want to relocate.

MTS

9. smores

smores Guest

I've been looking at moving to VA for a while. It's a matter of getting a better job and having enough money to move out of my dad's house. I'm turning 22 this Sunday, so I'm still young. I'm making next to nothing right now, but I've been applying to different LE agencies, and other jobs to make more money in the meantime until I can land a job as a police officer or sheriff's deputy. At the very least, I want to move a little northwest within Maryland, as it's not so bad out there, and there are some decent rural areas.

Maybe I was just hoping to catch someone last night in the act... I've always wanted to confront the people who vandalize my property, but then again it just shows what cowards they are. Scum of the earth who have 0 respect for the property of others. I can honestly say I've never vandalized anyone's property, be it their house, car, or whatever - even for revenge. Maybe it's because I always think "man, would I want that done to me? Hell no... then why should I do it to someone else?"

Once I was sideswiped by a Ford Explorer that was lifted, and had huge tires. The other vehicle's wheel hit my quarter panel and dented it in. Me and my friends started trailing him, while I called 911. 911 told me to stop where I was to wait for an officer to inspect the damage, and not to pursue the other driver. My friend didn't have a cell phone at the time and followed him home. The police determined that because there was no paint swapped between the vehicles, they couldn't prove who hit me... and of course the guy denied everything. I tried to explain that the guy's tires were so huge that it was impossible for me to have hit his SUV.. but whatever. Friends discussed doing all sorts of stuff to the guy but I ended up taking no action.

I think it's partly because no one ever gets caught for these crimes, and I can't afford the insurance deductibles to cover the damage anyway. It sucks being a victim :(

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I would certainly move ASAP if my car was being broken into on any regular basis. Beyond that... if the egg thing is really bothering you, I don't think that alone would be enough justification for me to move... It certainly would not have been enough for me to warrant running outside with an assault rifle... :shock: I don't recall hearing about egg throwing as being a common precursor to an imminent home invasion, but I suppose I can follow your thought process - it would be a good way to get most people to throw their door open and run outside and invite trouble...

11. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

Semi? Does that imply that there's also a "Full"? :p

The appropriate response would be to load up the AK and bunker down for a few minutes with the front door in line of site.

Then if nobody came bursting through the door, you hand AK off to GF and venture out to see what is up.

If things go rodeo you hit the ground and yell for GF and she comes out prepared to drop anyone standing.

12. midtnshooter

Rodeo? Is that a Southern RO-DEE-OH or is that a California RO-Da-Oh ?

Try running of the house screaming at them, while the GF screams "No Honey Don't Shoot !!!" No weapons were pulled, but at least the reeking smell of their drawers will let them know....Who is in control of the situation.

:D MTS :D

13. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I live in a VERY small town in mid south TN. I live on a dead end street and far enough off the road that I can't see it. If I happen to notice a car going by I pay attention there should be none. If someone came out to my place just to throw eggs they would get shot at.. Well kinda I would put a few rounds over there heads. Best thing too is the law would be glad I did that and did not call them. Out here if something happens at the house you need to be ready to deal with it. By the time you call the law and they get out here it is to late.They know this and leave a lot up to the fine folks around here. Now I know it an't right but thats the way it is.

14. midtnshooter

Same Here, my friend, same here.

15. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

WHY ain't it right???????

16. smores

smores Guest

Sounds like a plan!

And no, I don't have a select fire AK, I just like saying "semi" better than "fire" ;)

17. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Certainly ok to be ready for a home invasion (most times when I come in from carrying outside, I do not remove the M9 from my holster).
    However, if the only incident was an egg throwing, it does not rise to the level of a lethal threat; and you can expose yourself to serious legal consequences by brandishing a firearm in that situation.
    Come across the river here to VA.