maximum loads = dangerous loads

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by khoff, Nov 5, 2011.

1. khoff

khoff New Member

an antiquated old coot named Elmer Keith derided the term "maximum load" . he thought, rightly so i believe, they should have been termed "dangerous load". the most accurate loads are usually not the most powerful loads but usually moderate loads. of course i am speaking in broad very open terms. some powders are not intended to be used past a certain pressure threshold. for example 800x. imr says it is not to be used past 30,000psi. yet on other forms i see people loading 800x to significantly higher than 30 grand and BRAGGING about it. i am talking 15 and 20 percent and more higher. there are old reloaders and there are bold reloaders, but there are no old, bold reloaders. come on people we need to be careful . our numbers are too few. your pro 2d ammendment votes are desperately needed. please be careful reloading. remember it doesn't hurt to be humble.

2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Well said!

Whether pistol, or rifle, or shotgun, "maximum" loads are dangerous. Looking at the chrono doesn't tell you how close to max psi that you got. Pressure is your friend and enemy at the same time. All of the reloading data from Hornady and Lyman is collected using calibrated test chambers with strain gauges. Since no barrel is identical to another there are variations in performance.

A good read is "Steve's Pages". He talks about how he was all excited about being able to get .22 cal bullets to 4000+ fps. An older reloader told him it didn't matter to the varmints how fast he missed them.

3. khoff

khoff New Member

i love to hunt varmints

4. unit1069

unit1069 Member

Why don't you just stay with factory ammo?

The ammo manufacturer is on the hook if the ammo isn't spec'd properly. Think of it as cost-free insurance in this day and age of tort lawyer class action lawsuits.

5. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

There's this wonderful rush you get when you get the load dialed in for your gun barrel. You don't get that with a factory load, you get whatever the tolerance at the time of production gives you. When you start getting the load right at 0.1 grain, there's a distinct difference between +/- 0.1 grain. This is for my USPSA shooting. When I shoot +P+, well, a smack in the hand is a smack in the hand.

PDA is a different beast from gaming, and benchrest shooting with a rifle is a lot different than hunting. Nonetheless, getting a load right in a rifle is seriously rewarding.

6. khoff

khoff New Member

you go git em ETH77. load er up an let er rip !!!!!!! YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAA.

7. khoff

khoff New Member

UNIT 1069 , There is something extremely rewarding about rolling your own ammo that i am unable to elequantly convey with words however Richard LEE in his book Modern Reloading is able to explain perfectly. it is very enexpensive and every gun owner and shooter can benifit GREATLY from reading it. it is about 12.00 dollars for a HARD bound version. beware very addicting.