Steyr Club Forums banner
3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Wulf 
#1 ·
Just finished an excellent shooting course here in Florida run by OPS
options for personal security (.com). Ran 300 rounds of wolf and cci aluminum 9mm through my M9 with not a hiccup..........Strangely though, I pulled the pistol out and tried pulling the trigger and nothing happened.....Quickly disengaging the manual safety I had not engaged.........Anyway I continued shooting and scratching my head trying to fiqure out how that happened......
I came to the conclusion that in the slamming of the magazine into the well engaged the manual safety through enertia.......it may never happen again.......but.....I've decided once - in practice- is enough......
Has anyone or does anyone know how to disengage the manual safety without messing up anything else... I thought of super-glue but thought it might make taking the sub-frame a permanent fixture to the frame.....

#2 ·
i know that it is possible to engage the manual safety during fire if your thumb rides it . to stop that, you could grind off that side of the lever.

you can also simply remove it from the gun by pushing out the pin that holds it in. it will not affect anything in anyway. if you want to get sexy about it you could fill in the resulting hole in the frame.

#4 ·
bigtaco,
Took the gun and safety apart....that was a breeze thanks to the downloads......I was thinking of filling it in and thought twice.....figured you had done this already....any recommentations for what to use of the details???
thanks again
shooter

#5 ·
i think the best possible way to do it wold be to fill it in roughly with fiberglass leaving some room in the trigger guard. then smear and smooth a black gel coat on it such that the exterior surface is very well blended.

you could try to fill it completely with fiberglass and then paint it. but no way to estimate the life of the paint.

i haven't done this myself but others have. if you posted the question in the regular m and s forum you will probably be able to find the person that did it.

#6 ·
thanks, I've filled in the back strap area with epoxy successfully to make it straight line grip for my girlfriend and that worked very well, but this one may require a bit different approach.....I'll post it.... :)

G
#10 ·
I had this happen before changing the pin. I posted this on the glocktalk forum numerous and was call everything as being my fault. But mine was NOT from slamming in the magazine. Still never knew or figure out why but sometime you would shoot the gun and the triggerguard safety would happen to enage. I do believe it was not from the magazine insertion but from the SLIDE being released and it's forward momeutum dropping the safety.

I change the pin once and never thought about just eliminating it and jusr recently I had the gun service free of charge by steyr usa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.