Mannlicher's 160th Birthday

Discussion in 'California' started by historydigger, Jan 21, 2008.

1. historydigger

historydigger Guest

Ferdinand ritter von Mannlicher who'll always be connected with Steyr has his 160th birthday on January 30th. To celebrate some of us will have a get together at Schroeder's Cafe in San Francisco, CA on Saturday, January 26 at 6:00pm.
    Those who's like to attend may RVSP me at [email protected]

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Wish I could join you, but San Fran's a bit far to go for supper. Lift one for me! :beer:

I did a little historical research recently on Ferdinand Mannlicher: Austria's John M. Browning. Remarkable man that more Americans need to know. :mrgreen:

3. historydigger

historydigger Guest

Yes, he had an interesting career. Not as wildly successful as Browning, but still a very important designer who was ahead of his time. Someone has yet to write a biography on him. For a good online biography check out:

http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/ ... licher.htm

historydigger

4. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Well there you go. I go out to Cali for about a couple weeks, drop by San Fransicko, visit MrBoma when I was there and still miss something. I can say without a doubt, I won't be able to see ya there, but wish you all the best and my thoughts and joy will be with you all. Contact MrBoma, he should be able to make the trip.

Take care,
    MTS

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Just ran across this article from Guns magazine, August 2004, on Mannlicher's 1895 rifle design.
    I'll be adding some of this info to my Mannlicher bio page. :mrgreen:

6. midtnshooter

I am working on my website (LGSTO.com) and would love to add your research to it. If you allow me to copy/paste, I will give you full credit with a full parade of college cheerleaders leading the way.

MTS

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

MTS,
    I hereby grant my global permission for you to copy and paste to your heart's content. I can't stop people from stealing from my site anyway, but credit is always appreciated. And don't forget to give the "full parade of college cheerleaders" my home address. :mrgreen:

Speaking of "stealing" names, I think I found out who the "other John Myers" is who bought my former johnmyers.com domain name. The new registrar owner is a John Myers in London, England, and this particular John Myers is a London rocker who just signed his first big recording contract: 1 + 1 = http://www.johnmyers.co.uk/? And I shouldn't accuse him of stealing. He paid well for it and I've got the new pistols to prove it. :mrgreen:

Maybe there's a wealthy John W. Myers out there who'd like to buy my new domain name?

8. midtnshooter

Anyone want to buy LGSTO ? Physc, I was pretty lucky to get such a short address and something like Let God Sort Them Out might be something someone would eventually like to buy. Maybe I can buy me an AR with it.

Thanks for the hard work. A copying and a pasting I will go :v

MTS

9. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

MTS, Hold off on stealing the Mannlicher page at least until later today. I've got some new copy I want to add and it's the very next thing on my to-do list. When I get a round tuit. :mrgreen:

Today, I promise! :bs:
    PS. OK, MTS, I finally found that round tuit! Ferdinand Mannlicher page is updated, proofed and ready for primetime: http://www.johnwmyers.com/mannlicher.html. Steal away. :mrgreen:

10. midtnshooter

I like how you told me to wait before I steal it. :D

Thanks,
    MTS