Magazine Question

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Tartan427, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Tartan427

Tartan427 New Member

Finally had the opportunity to try out my new M9-A1. Functioned flawlessly. Coming from the tuned .45 world, I was a bit skeptical about the trigger (tough to beat a crisp 3 lb trigger). Found that I actually liked the Steyr trigger. Clean break and with a little practice, I was able to shoot some pretty tight groups (in my case, the gun is obviously more accurate than the operator). The only difficulty I had involved the magazines. My previous experience is with single stack 1911 magazines. Never had a problem completely loading them. The M9-A1 magazine pretty much refused to take more than 13 rounds (and that was a struggle). My guess is that the spring will have to "relax" a little before I can fully load it. Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Yes, they are very, very tight new. Mine have loosened up a bit though. Just another excuse to go shooting :D

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

I only had 10 round AWB mags when I started with my Steyr. they were a damn pita. got my thumb all cut up and sore.

I had issues loading more than 10 rounds with my M40's. M9's were fine. had to load 8 for 40sw. had to fire each mag good number of times.

shooting mags is the more fun way to break them in. you can load them and unload them by hand but tend to end up with sore fingers.
    dont stretch the springs will only ruin them.

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Did you use a thumb-saver from a Glock or such? Strange Steyr doesn't provide such a cheap basic item.

5. Tartan427

Tartan427 New Member

Just picked up an HKS loader. While not a perfect fit (I'm going to fit a small shim), it looks like it should work (at least it did at the shop where I purchased it). I'll give a report once I've had a chance to play with it.

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member