Magazine Question

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Hospitaller03, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Hospitaller03

Hospitaller03 New Member

Hello All,

I ordered a few M9 17 round magazines from R&R Arms out in MN back in Jan. For various reasons I only got my hands this week. Three were simply wrapped in a plastic with their barcode label on the tight plastic. The other two were wrapped in the same tight plastic, but they were in 2"x4" ziplock bags and the bags had the barcode lable. Anyway, the three in just the tight plastic work great, but the two that came in baggies are hinky. To be clear, I have not have a chance to shoot with any of them, but when I insert either of the two from baggies, the slide catches on the magazine and it won't go into battery. If I put a dummy round in, it will go into battery, but it feels reluctant, and when I pull the slide back it continues to feel stiff.

I'll get to my two questions. First, what can I do to make the two hinky magazines to make them reliable? Second, does anyone know the provenance of the magazines. They were sold as M9 17 rounders (which they certainly seem to be), they have the 2 round extensions, and while the magazines that came with my 4th Gen M9-A1 have Steyr and the target logo on the bullet side all of the new ones just have the target logo.

If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears.

Thanks.

2. Hospitaller03

Hospitaller03 New Member

Buller? Buller?

Anyone? Anyone?

3. JMJNet

JMJNet Member

Not sure what to answer your question.
    I am probably newer than you in owning this gun.

I would call Steyr Arms directly and ask them.

My experience is the 17rd mags were tight,
    You may want to exercise them a little.
    If it caused some jam in the range, then you can probably send them back to Steyr Arms.
    Make sure you have the receipt of the purchase.

4. Pier23

Pier23 New Member

Being a newbie here with no Steyr experience aside from my current M40 and my fave GB, I am wondering what the debate is about? I don't know anyone who trusts a "repaired" mag..a mag works or it doesn't. If it doesn't, it gets tossed and replaced.

Ship back to the dealer and get a replacement set.

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam Pier* :)

Send me all ur f*dup mags, Bro. I'll see that they getta good "burial". :thumbsup:

Take care.

Wulf <-- PM him for proper disposin' of all your f*dup mags! :thumbsup:

6. Hospitaller03

Hospitaller03 New Member

Gents,

I'll call Steyr, I just wanted to pick the brains of the hivemind. I'm looking forward to exercizing them, but I just wanted to find out if anybody could explain the difference between the two markings on the mags.

As for retuning them for more, the seller is cleaned out. And I'm not even sure that it is even needed. They aren't any tighter than the other mags, they fit everywhere, they just catch on the slide. I'm just trying to find out if I can break them in, or if I will need to file something.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm just going to call Steyr and go to the range.

I know, poor me.

7. mp-43

mp-43 New Member

Received some factory 17 rounders from brownells that do the same thing. Appears that the follower is a slightly different shape than the 15 rd mag's and does not move down enough when depressing the slide release for the slide to clear on an empty mag.

8. Hospitaller03

Hospitaller03 New Member

Thank you MP-43, that makes a lot of sense to me. Now I'm going to switch stuff around and see how that works. Good to know that the Brownels mags will have the same issue.

9. FineUpstanding

FineUpstanding New Member

Hmm, I have two 17 rounders on the way from Brownells. They were like 40% off, which is very surprising during a run on anything hi-cap. I wonder if there's a quality issue. We'll see, I guess.

10. Hospitaller03

Hospitaller03 New Member

I am going to switch followers and see what that does. I'm also going to see if I can find a 10 rounder or a S mag. The follower may from those mags may be a solution as well. I wouldn't be suprised if this was why they were discounted. Still, I should pick some up. Get while the getting is good right?

11. madcow19

madcow19 New Member

Just got my 3 mags from Brownells. I see the same problem, but...it's not a problem for me. With rounds in them, they seem no more or less reluctant to load a round than any of my other 15 or 17 rounders, and when empty, I don't especially care if my slide hangs up on them. The only time the slide does hang up is when I don't let the slide drop home. If I use the slide release or truly "sling shot" it, it's fine. If I pull back and ride the slide a little, it hangs up. Either way, it seems like the slight interference happening between the follower and the slide would be worn off after a couple dozen proper closes. Yours might be different, but I'm not worrying about it unless it messes with the function of the gun when firing (which I have no worries about).

12. JT353

JT353 New Member

I picked up my M9 today from layaway and actually had a chance to see for myself how the two mags I ordered from Brownells worked. First I tried the two mags supplied with the gun, and sure enough no issues. Then I tried the mags from Brownells and the slide did catch the rear of the follower. However, after a couple times of releasing the slide against the follower, they rode forward just like the other mags. I swapped all four mags out a few times while dropping the slide and they all function normally.

The issue is, the followers in the supplied mags already have the little indention made from the slide...however the new mags do not. Just work the slide against the newer mag followers a few times and the issue will go away (at least it did for me).

Good luck!

13. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Thanx for postin' this info, JT*. :thumbsup:

Guys, give it a go an' lets see what happens with this issue. :popcorn:

Wulf <-- headin' back ta Gunbroker for some ammo sales recognisance