Magazine Pouch for an M-40?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Guest, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello,

I have an M-40 that I carry IWB. I was wondering what magazine pouches are out there that will fit an M-40's magazine that I can wear on a 1-3/4" belt under my shirt. I am looking for something $20 or under, but will go to $30 if necessary.

2. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Some of the manufacturers list their pouches as "double stack", others are more specific like Beretta or Sig 228/9. I used double stacks that were listed for Beretta, but it is a little tight, which i'd prefer to loose. I also have pouches listed for "double stack" (non Glock) and they also fit. There are so many choices here, Fobus is very inexpensive polymer, leather you can find most manufactuers. Check the holster section and check out the sites for prices......

If you have other pistols like Sig 228/9, take a tape measure and find the circumfirence and length of the mag compare it to your M40.....for generic.....The companies listed here will have mag pouches specific to Steyr.....but they may cost more.......
    Good hunting..........

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Shooter,

Thanks for the info. Actually, I do have a 228. The magazine loader that I use for the 228 is a hair too skinny to use on my M-40 mags. So I figure that a magazine pouch for a 228 will be too tight for an M-40 if the mag loader is any indicator.

Mag pouch makers list a bunch of guns for their pouches, but no mention of Steyr. So I was wondering if the M-40's mags were a similar size to another makers. When I look at the Sportsmans Guide, for example, and look at the Fobus double stacked mag pouch, they list for sizes either "Universal 9mm/.40" or "Glock/HK." You can view it here:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=244517

I don't think that the universal would work, being that my "universal 9mm/.40" magazine loader is too skinny, but I don't know. Would the Glock/HK size be better?

Thanks again:)

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Glocks are too big......

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Yep, thought of that as I opened my mail and found two new Sigma 40 mags for refit...... 8)

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Come to think of it........the 9mm Sigma mags are skinnier and should not be used as reference......the 40 would be better....the 9mm would make the Steyr mags too tight, maybe..............I'm going to pick up the 9 Sigma mag this weekend and measure it compared to the Beretta......

7. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

Alot of the companies that sell Steyr M40 Holsters also sell the mag pouches for them. Check out our holster sticky thread for a list of all the M40 Holster choices.

I use an uncle Mikes right now for my M40 mags and I haven't had any issue with it. It was cheap and adjustable so that I could tighten it to fit the M40 mags. Retention is pretty good and I can flip it over and shake it for days without the mags coming out.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

If you have kydex ones that are a little too tight, try boiling them for 5 minutes and then stuff your mags in and let cool.

I did this with a holster. The fobus SG-21 was listed for the steyr (and many other guns), but I foung it to be far too tight. After boiling it and letting it reset around my gun it fit very nicely.

9. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

Please make sure that when you boil your holsters or mag pouches, that you add some chicken broth, scallions, baby carrots, and red potatos. Kydex soup is delicious. :lol:

10. ministerofdeath

MMMmmmm, soup...Homer like.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, I bought a Fobus 6909P. Fobus' website says that it fits the following magazines:

Fits Beretta 92/96, Browning HP, Ruger, Walther .9/.40, Springfield XD, Sig 9mm ONLY, Sigma 99, S7W 5906, Taurus 92/99 Millenium .9/.40 Generic 9mm & .40.

I tried the M-40 mag, and just like my mag loaders, it is a tad too thick. I'm not going to return it, though. It fits my Sig 228 and Taurus PT-111 mags perfectly. So I have a pouch for them now. I noticed that Fobus makes a different pouch for .40 caliber Sigs. I wonder if that will work?

ministerofdeath,

What's the exact model of you Uncle Mike's ammo pouch? It sounds like that would do just fine.

12. ministerofdeath

I have the Uncle Mike's Kydex Double Mag Case (Fits Double row 9mm or .40 cal. mags) model number 5136-2. I paid $22.99 for it at my local gun shop about 6-8 months ago. I probably could have found it cheaper online, but once in awhile I like to just go to the gunshop and buy what I can see and feel.

13. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

I have the above uncle mikes and the fobus 6900.
    both work, prefer the fobus though.

14. revchuck

revchuck New Member

Check http://www.concealco.com for pouches. I got an IWB and single mag pouch for my M40 from him. Mag pouch has perfect fit.

15. madecov

madecov Active Member

Comp-Tac #2
    You can get it in any belt width. It is a clip on and the clip sticks like mad to the belt

16. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member