Magazine not ejecting?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by tenchu74, Nov 25, 2007.

1. tenchu74

tenchu74 Member

I just took my new M9A1 to the range today and it shot pretty good. The only problem I had was that the magazine would only eject from the pistol about a quarter of the time when I pushed the magazine release :( . Has anyone else had this problem? Whats the solution?

2. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Look at the mag spring some seem to be short....

3. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Oh and WELCOME to the club!!!!

4. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Nice Memory Skills Metal !

It's really nice to see a previous reference to a certain question.

Hope to hear more about this. I will phone as well.

MTS

5. tenchu74

tenchu74 Member

Any other thoughts or opinions on why a magazine might not eject? I called Jeff at Steyr and he said that the short mag springs shouldn't effect this. So far I've put 200 rounds through this pistol and other than the mag issue, am really impressed. Unless I come up with a solution soon I'll have to send it to Steyr soon.

Steve

6. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

Mags should drop just by gravity alone. (At least it's like that in all my Steyrs)

When you get your Steyr new in box, you'll sometimes get some sticky crap all over the mags - it's what they use to hold the foam cutouts together inside the box. If that substance is on the magazine, it most definitely will not drop. My recommendation - clean the magazines and inside the mag well with some Hoppes 9. Good luck!

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Steve :)

I've run into mags not droppin' plenty, but never with factory mags. <shrug> What happens to the Sigma 40 mags that I use for conversions is the mag release spring binds against the front of the mag body. If you disassemble your pistol and just have the grip frame in your hand and can watch as the mag is inserted and released using the mag release, you should be able to view what is happening. With the Sigma conversion mags, you can keep depressing the mag release and the mag will eventually release a bit atta time until it releases enuf to drop free. Its a real indicator that the spring is binding against the mag body when being compressed. That having been said, I've taken some 1500 grit sandpaper from Wal-Mart and honed away any little "ridges" that I can feel with my fingers inside my mag well. That has made a real difference in how easy my mags drop free, OEM'ers or Sigma 40 conversion mags. What ever is going on with your M-A1, if ya can't fig'r it out yourself, don't be scared ta send it to Jeff at SAI. He'll take care of ya. Good luck and hava great holiday season. :)

Wulf

8. yugo308guy

yugo308guy Member

Do me a favor Tenchu, Using just one hand, grab your pistol by the slide only from above, then push the mag eject button. Does it fall out freely this way? I have noticed on my M40A1 that when I shift my grip(I have small hands) to release my mag, that the pressure from the heel of my hand versus the pressure from my pinkie and ring finger create a slight bind which does not always allow the mag to fall free. I will say, I have fairly stong hands and I may be gripping it too tight, but there is definitly more flex in th A1 series of Steyrs than the original M series at the magazine well. The polymer is definitly thinner in the A1 series. I don't think it is a major point, but something that I, at least, need to train for.

9. 7nthson

7nthson Guest

I had a problem with my magazines not ejecting on my new M40-A1. The problem was that the mag release spring coils were rubbing against the magazine. I rotated the spring so that the coils were not protruding into the magazine well, and now the magazines drop cleanly and insert easier.

10. tenchu74

tenchu74 Member

It seems like it might be that depending on how I hold the grip the mag will eject sometimes. When I have less hand on the grip, or when I hold the pistol by just the slide and push the release the mag falls. This is not right, the plastic in the grip should not flex enough to bind up the magazine. I'm going to mess around with it a little more and then send it to Steyr if I can't fix the problem myself. Thanks for your responses.

Steve