Mag release not letting empty mags drop

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ThaiBoxer, Jul 4, 2007.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Gents-

My A1 is finicky on letting empy mags cleanly fall free. Seems to be dependent on how much I depress the mag release button, I guess that the compressed spring rubs the mag, but don't know. PRESSING FIRMLY IS NOT THE ANSWER, but is a guaranteed way to reproduce. A light touch that moveas the button about 1/2 it's travel range works 100%. It's not always easy to reproduce the correct push.

What are my options for correcting this?

Thanks for any help,

Ben

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

take the slide off look down the well with a magazine. should be able to see in front of the magazine.

its a pita to take the catch out also keep note of the plastic block at the end if you try.
    check the plastic block and spring it may have moved toward the magazine.

3. West01

West01 New Member

Hi ThaiBoxer,

Stupid questions.... Does it happens with all of your mags? Did you check if anything (with a light) if anything is stuck in the release mechanism inside the grip?

West01
    :D

4. smores

smores Guest

hm, I'm sitting here ejecting my mag over and over, with snap caps loaded and empty... no matter how slowly or "lightly" I press the mag release it falls free. Are the rounds all fully seated rearward? I know sometimes the top round might slide out just a little bit and stop a mag from falling free...

5. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

Mine slide out slow if they are empty and dirty but I've never had one not drop. After the third or fourth reload on a mag at the range I usually have to wipe it down to get it to fall easily.

edit: I'll pull mine out later and test to see if I can reproduce your problem with pushing the release too hard.

6. Dag

Dag Guest

Sticking Empty Magazines

Hi ThaiBoxer

My M40-A1 does the exact same thing. I spent some time under a strong light, dropping the mag, over and over (man, are my fingers are sore! :( ). It's interesting that when I press the mag release from a grip other than my normal shooting grip, the mag never hangs. I tried holding the gun upside down, firmly pressing the release and slowly sliding the magazine in and out. No problem. But when I do it from a normal shooting grip, using my thumb (I'm right handed), I get the mag hang about 75% of the time. It looks to me that when I shift my grip to hit the mag button, I end up tightly squeezing the grip with my fingertips, and I believe the thin mag well sides flex inward, just slightly, and can hang up the magazine. Anyway, that's what it looks like to me. I'm going to play with it some more, and see if I can come up with a technique that won't cause the hang up.

Dag

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Hmmmmm... first I've heard of this. I'm kinda surprised, actually - I've never had any trouble and my M9A1 mags fall out a lot more willingly than some of my other pistols. :?

Perhaps change hands - try dropping the magazine with your index or middle finger and see if it still hangs. That should be an indicator of whether or not squeezing the grip is to blame...

8. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Re: Sticking Empty Magazines

I tried some things out. Ran all of my 9 mags through. It is due to me squeezing the grip. Because I have short fingers, I have to shift the pistol in my hand to reach the controls, because I can't just lift a thumb and apply perpendicular pressure. I think this results in more inward pressure on the grip. I can reproduce the effect by squeezing front-back, or left-right.

The solution is to loosen my grip slightly after pressing the button, or when the mag hangs, or just to "snap" it out with a wrist move. My instinctual response to "press and squeeze harder" is not adaptive in this situation. :)

My M40 does the same if I squeeze the grip while dropping a mag.

Thanks for all the thoughts and to Dag for seeing the problem.

Ben

9. smores

smores Guest

hm, in my CZ-75 the mags hang because there's a flat spring in there that causes them to do so. I have pretty large hands, so I have no problem reaching the mag release on my M40-A1, maybe that's why I never have had a mag stick... *shrug*

10. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

been meaning to take a mag catch and drill it tap it then install something to make it easier for my thumb reach.

11. Dag

Dag Guest

Hanging Mags

Hi ThaiBoxer

Glad I could help. BTW, I have small hands too, which is why I like the Steyr so much. Most guns don't fit my hand as well as the Steyr does. :) It's curious that I hadn't noticed the problem before. I guess I have a lighter touch at the range. If I had to reload during a high stress "situation", I'm sure that's when the problem would have reared it's ugly head! :shock: Much better to find out now, than later. Thanks for the heads-up.

Dag

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I wiped all mags dry, then sprayed the main contact areas with dry moly lube. Might have helped, it's certainly harder to reproduce the effect.

Ben