M9A1 Reliability?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Frank N. Stein, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Frank N. Stein

Frank N. Stein New Member

Hey folks.

Recently Buds has gotten new shipments of the M9A1 and I've been thinking about picking one up. However, I've read a lot of topics on here about folks having FTE issues and replacing extractors. Is this a common occurrence with the M9A1? Also, are there any other current reliability issues with these new shipments?

I really want to pick one of these up and have complete faith in it, but a few of these threads have me worried!

2. apvbguy

apvbguy New Member

I believe the extractor issues have been corrected, be sure the ones buds is selling is a new batch and you should be ok, also note the recall notice sent out by steyr today, it is here on another thread, compare the serial numbers of any gun you by against the recalled numbers and be sure the one you get has not been recalled

3. Frank N. Stein

Excellent. Is it safe to say that most of the extractor issues were on models that were previously imported to the US?

I want to buy this gun for defense, so I want to be sure it's a keeper!

4. MadMann

MadMann New Member

I know where you are coming from. A couple of months ago I traded in my S&W MP9 on a M9A1 - here in AUS they are rare and I love the look, feel and sights etc.
    But here they cost $980 (about the same in US $) and I made the purchase commitment before researching. But the fact was I love the gun even though I have never fired one.
    But when I read some articles on them with various problems a worried, and even posted my concerns here.
    I got some good responses and some good advice. My permit should be here in the next few days and im really excited to pick it up. The guys here are passionate about these arms and all the info and advice you could need is here - any firearm can have problems, no matter what the make, but at least here you have support - and like most say here, the new ones are sorted out. Hope you are able to settle on a decision as I was.
    Cheers!

5. unit1069

unit1069 Member

I bought a 2005-made M9-A1 from CDNN when they were at bargain basement prices. Although it had the wrong magazine springs and extractor the gun fired everything with no real issues that would make it unreliable for self-defense. The free springs and new extractor from SAI solved everything except for an occasional failure of the slide to lock back after the last round.

The only reason I don't have that M9-A1 today is because I swapped it for a 12/2010-made S9-A1 that is exceeding my already-high expectations. SAI sent me a new extractor which solved the spent casings bouncing off my head, but other than that the new S9-A1 has been perfect since Round #69 (which I consider the first 200 rounds the break-in period for any firearm). I think Steyr is really getting its act together and I believe as more shooters buy one the day is coming where critical mass will be achieved and then you're likely to pay up for the pistols.

6. Frank N. Stein

Thanks for the input everyone. It looks like the Steyr will be on my to-buy list this year. This will be my first full size 9mm and I love the look and ergos of this firearm.

7. ldsmith79

ldsmith79 New Member

I bought an M9-A1 from Bud's about 3 weeks ago. I was surprised how smoothly the transaction went. The gun has a date code of Feb. 2011, so it has the new extractor. It came with 2 17rd mags, although the review at Bud's mentioned putting 15 round mags through the gun. So, it may be luck of the draw. So far I have put 500 rounds or so through the gun. First trip out to the range I had several FTEs with Federal Premium rounds. I cleaned the gun and went back the next day, this time with more Federal Premium and some Winchester WB. I still had some FTEs with the Federal, but noticed I didn't have a single one with the Winchester. Before the third trip to the range I took some Simichrome and a bullet shaped felt polishing wheel on a dremel to the chamber. At the range I put 3 more boxes of Winchester WB through with not a single FTE. I then broke out a box of Federal, and made it to the last 5 rounds before I had an FTE.

I absolutely love the gun, it is simply amazing, and I am confident the FTEs will be a non issue. Unfortunately, my gun was part of the recall, so I had to send it. Steyr, however exceeded every expectation I could have had. They overnighted me a box, to overnight the gun back, and then overnighted the gun back to me. I sent my gun out Monday morning, and had it back in my hands on Wednesday along with another 17 round magazine for my trouble.