M9a1 - Just Back from the Range

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by AbsolutNeil, Jul 21, 2007.

Do you consider a Steyr to be as reliable as a Glock"

1. Yes- Steyr just a reliable

100.0%
  2. No- Not as reliable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AbsolutNeil

AbsolutNeil Guest

Just got back from the range where I put the first 150rds through my M9a1.

Here is what I have found:

Trigger pull- As of now, I like the Glock trigger pull a little bit better- it has some resistance before firing where the Steyr has none.
    I can get use to this but my current shooting style likes the "surprise" in the trigger pull offered by a Glock and the first movement stlye in my Steyr causes me to get some errant rounds from time to time. I will work on this.

Sights- Takes a little getting use to. When I really concentrate on those futuristic sights I feel like a bolt of plasma is going to be discharged rather than a plain old slug. Took a few rounds to figure out where to sight to get a perfect shot.

My only concern- During my second box (all Winchester) I had three casings get caught in the breech after firing. Of course this is not a good feeling with a brand new gun (especially with someone that is used to the reliabilty of a Glock). I don't have a "limp" shooting style and provide plenty of resistance to allow the slide to provide plenty of room to void the chamber. I was reassured when this did not occur during the third box. Has anyone else experienced this? I would like to think that this was part of "breaking it in."

Anyway- Off to clean the pistols (sometimes I think I enjoy this part more than shooting).

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Neil

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It's very well known the the Steyr's are made to tighter specs than your average glock - these pistol wear in, not wear out. Many of us had to go through a breakin period of usually 500 rounds before everything smoothes out - at least I know I did. Somewhere around the 500 marker I stopped experiencing problems and all has been well for a good couple of thousand rounds.

One thing to watch for - in my experience, WWB often has chunks of glue from the packaging stuck to the brass. I have switch almost exlusively to CCI (brass or aluminum) for this reason - I don't like scraping crap off my ammo before I shoot it. :roll:

3. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

4. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Actually You want to anticipate the trigger break You just don't want it affectring Your shot! Practice, practice and more practice! I hate Glock triggers, always have!. Even the 3 1/2 pound triggers feel toy like, not like the way a modern combat pistol should feel. My M357-A1 trigger left a lot to be desired at first, but w/ over 3000 rounds through the beast it feels real nice.

While I really like the Tri-Traps, my grouping is greatly improved w/ the PT night sights! Nothing beats Tri-Traps for rapid shooting, but for accuracy You might wanna set of PT's.

Even WWB has a couple of bad rounds every few thousand. You'll hear people w/ lots of high end pistols tell You that any pistol that needs breaking in is no good. Well I'm hear to tell You if Your not cautious enough to run 500-1000 rounds through a new pistol, then You deserve a failure(or ten!). If it contiues(I doubt), then You've got something to worry about.
    _______
    mugdava

5. madecov

madecov Active Member

My M40A1 has been as if not more reliable that when I had a Glock19.

I like the trigger on the Steyr better than almost any polymer handgun I have ever handled and since I transfer a lot of guns around here I get to check out plenty of them.

I find the Trap sights to be intuitive for me. I can get on target fast and accurate.

The only thing that prevents the Steyr from being my primary duty weapon is the lack of real holster availability from Safariland.

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i know los of people swear by glock reliability. i just haven't seen anything to support it personally. i've seen glocks choke all up and down the range.

7. Dag

Dag Guest

Steyr reliability

Sorry squirrelpotpie, that's accuracy, not reliability.

"Reliability" is a pretty broad term, but if you mean feeding any kind of ammo, and going bang every time you pull the trigger (yeah, even when it's dirty), then I say no, the Steyr M, S and A1 pistols are not as reliable as Glocks, especially straight out of the box. Discussions here say it's more sensitive to ammo than a Glock (actually, I haven't seen that in my M40-A1). The general wisdom here is also that you should keep your Steyr squeaky clean to improve reliability (a weakness?). These pistols are world class defensive guns, and I prefer the Steyr to a Glock because the grip angle of the Glock causes it to point wrong for me (too high as I recall). I used to own a Glock 17, but gave it to my son because I hated the way it felt and pointed. So reliability isn't the only thing to consider, but for this poll, my vote went to Glock.

Dag

8. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

My vote goes to Glock as well.

It was made for military use and abuse on the battlefield.
    The real key to the G's reliability is the extremely loose chamber. (it's near maximum SAMMI Spec IIRC)
    It's also the Glocks only real claim to fame.

The G is bulky and far less concealable than most of the competition thanks to the thick plastic mags combined with a "more rounds than the competition" mentality.
    Has a lousy grip angle, shape and is overpriced these days due to demand from the trend followers.
    The trigger is crap-o-riffic to boot.

The Steyr is far more shootable all around and that's what counts in civilian CCW defensive use where there's only what? Two shots fired on average from a clean weapon?
    And every shot fired may have to be defended in court of law.

My CCW is now a S9A1 in a Concealco IWB
    I put away the .45 Colt Officer's LW :wink:

9. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have owned 1 M9 and 2 M40's in the past, and all ran flawlessly. Having said that, I do clean after every shooting session, and I never fire reloads. Ammo has always been Winchester white box in both calibers when practicing; and in 9mm, Corbon 115gr & Federal 9BPLE 115gr. In .40, 155gr golden saber for defensive loads.

I have not owned an "A-1" model yet.

FWIW, my wifes now 15 year old Glock 17 has never had a failure of any kind, aside from it's sights, it's bone-stock. The only part ever replaced was the recoil guide rod assembly, after about 25,000 rds (about 8 years ago).

Regarding failures with Steyr's; I think there is a number of elements at play. First off is the tighter chamber/case support the Steyr barrel has---I think this comes at the expense of needing to use only well-spec'd factory ammo. I would imagine that the M357 has far less problems because of the bottle-necked case.

I think secondly, people phutz around with their pistols too much. Changing guide rods, removing LCI's, messing with trigger components, etc. All 3 of my Steyr's were left alone, and ran perfectly. I notice the same thing with Glock's on GlockTalk. It seems that 99% of the failures reported, the gun has been phutzed with in some shape or form...OR...somebody is using "bubba's" home brew reloads. It is extremely rare to see a problem with a stock Glock running good quality factory ammo.

Just my experience.

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I voted equal because of my flawless experience with my M9 (actually better relative to my G17L, 19, 26, and 21). But if I were to vote based on my perception of overall experience of users I would give the edge to Glock.
    To me the trigger on the Steyr is lightyears better than my Glocks. I like the trap sights.
    I would give at least 500 rounds of breakin before I decided yea or nay on reliability.

11. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I'm no Glock expert. My G29 is the first one I ever shot as well as owned. But it is heavily customized from grip angle changed, full grip stippling, new HD Wolff springs, chrome slide and 2.5-lb. trigger, and I have yet to have a failure. So I guess reliability depends on who did the customizing. But considering the price of 10mm ammo, I haven't shot nearly the rounds through it that I have in my M357-A1 or my S&W 669 9mm, both of which are extremely reliable. I've shot about 200 rounds through the G29 without a failure. The only pistol I have I've shot less is my Kel-Tec PF-9 pocket pistol and it's not designed for heavy use. But I've shot it enough, about 100 rounds, to consider it reliable, too. So which is the most reliable? Got me. I think they're all reliable and won't hesitate to carry any of them as personal defense weapons I am betting my life on, as well as the lives of my loved ones.

Frankly, any well-made pistol should be reliable, bottom line. If it's not, I won't keep it for long, as in the case of the .22 magnum jam-a-matic AMT Automag I owned briefly. Reliability of Glock vs. Steyr is not debatable, at least by me. :mrgreen:

12. Glock_Holiday

Glock_Holiday Guest

I own lots of Glocks. 17,19,21,22,30 & 34. I own 1 Steyr M9A1. I love the design of the Steyr. I love the way it feels in my hand and the accuracy is above par for a defensive handgun. But.... Out of all the Glocks I own and have owned. I have never had a failure. Feeding, fire and extraction have all been 100%. My Steyr has had 2 failures to eject in the first 200 rounds. Hopeing I don't offend anyone here, not my goal. But, I personally don't buy the "break in period" People told me the same thing about my Springfield 1911. Would you accept that from a car manufacturer? "She's gonna break down a few times in the first 500 miles but after that it should be fine". Of course you wouldn't. I'm really not trying to bag on Steyr here. I feel the same way about any gun company. If it is known and accepted that tha guns are manufactured "tight" and "need to ware in" aka loosen up for those who complane Glocks are built loose, then they should manufacture them to that looser tolerance in the first place. Just my opinion.
    I'm not getting rid of my Steyr. I really like the gun. It's in the bag every time out to the range. I just not going to bet my life on it.

GH

13. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Glock_Holiday!

Unless Your pistol is custom made(and fitted!) it's liable to have teething issues(a break in period). Production guns are just that, production. Mass production. They are not fitted in any way and therefore have a chance for mechanical or assembly issues right out of the box. Other than one or maybe two test shots, any pistol is deemed functional straight out of the factory. But what if something is assembled poorly(after lunch!) or a component had some sort of failure(structural!) that made it past CQ. Even a rusty old pistol could get lucky and crank out one or two rounds before failing altogether, so wisdom dictates safety. Allow a period to determine that Your newly purchased firearm does what it is supposed to, go BANG!

Think of a Glock more like a AK, built loose to be reliable. And the Steyr more like any AR(M-16), built tight for performance(.223!). Now a Glock isn't too loose as not to perform, nor is a Steyr too tight as not be reliable. Although the Steyr is tight enough to require some time to break in, just like a good 1911!
    _______
    mugdava

14. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

wait, i forgot... remind me again... what exactly is a "good" 1911.

15. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

hahaha, I love how in one sentence BT can change it from a Steyr bash to a 1911 bash! It took the other guy a whole paragraph!

16. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

put me down for the special,

i want my maypo.....uh, i mean steyr! :wink:

17. Dag

Dag Guest

"Good" 1911

Hi bigtaco

A good 1911 is one where you bought the basic gun for $600, then spent another $1500 to make it useable! :mrgreen:

Dag

18. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

"hahaha, I love how in one sentence BT can change it from a Steyr bash to a 1911 bash! It took the other guy a whole paragraph!"
    ----------------------------------------------------
    +1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

19. AbsolutNeil

AbsolutNeil Guest

thanks for the responses

I am glad to hear this isn't rare- I don't want to think I got a "bum" gun. I will get to the range regularly and hope that it doesn't happen again. And if the sh#t ever did hit the fan I would have both of these pistols near by-

I won't argue the feel of the steyr one bit- the ergonomics are amazing...

but for now, when it all goes down (and obviously I hope it never does), I will have the Glock a little closer until the Steyr proves itself a little more.

Thanks again,
    Neil

20. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Gotta go Glock on this one.....but I keep using my Steyrs for training. And it does seem the more I use them the more reliable they become. i just don't know where that "break" point is that IDPAsteyr wrote about so long ago. At least with a Glock I have some idea where that point may be and can easily change out a part prior to what I think is an aging part that SteyrUSA won't allow me to do............THAT for me is the downside of my Steyr's......
    If I had the parts to trade out after a certain amount of rounds I would feel more confident........