M9A1 from CDNN vs. Glock 19?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Wuchak, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Wuchak

Wuchak Guest

I tried a Glock 19 for the first time at the range last week and to my surprise I really liked it and was quite accurate with it. I normally shoot revolvers but I have been thinking of adding a compact 9mm to my collection. I stumbled accross the Steyrs at CDNN and after reading through some of the postings here I am very tempted to get one of these instead of the Glock. Unfortunately none of my local stores has one for me to handle so I would have to order sight unseen. My question is how does the Steyr compare to the G19 size wise? Especially grip length.

I was also thinking of the SA XD sub-compact but when I put it on top of the G19 I was surprised that the grip lenghts were almost identical. Certainly close enough to make the smidge longer G19 worth it for the 5 extra rounds.

Thanks,
    Wuchak

2. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

I believe the Steyr grip is just slightly longer than the Glock. But it's WAY more comfortable than the G so it's definitely the best choice :wink:

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Where are you located? Have you checked the Frappr map on the homepage for a member in your area? Perhaps someone would be kind enough to let you try their pistol...

4. stdsmc19

stdsmc19 New Member

If you're still interested I'll see if I can get some side by side shots of my m9a1 and my roommates 19 from what I can tell theres a few differences between the two I like my steyrs sights and the rail the glock theres a lot of parts you can purchase, a glock light from cheaper than dirt will fit but for my hands it is hard to reach the switch but you can't beat the ease of use for taking it on and off. But I ramble on but I'll try to post some side by side pictures of a glock 19 and my steyr m9a1

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

G19 is 5.0" tall from bottom of grip to top of slide, MA1 is 5.2".
    I've held both and shot both and the grip angle alone would make me choose Steyr.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At least for me, the grip angle on the G is too steep. But millions love 'em, so whatta I know? :mrgreen:

6. Wuchak

Wuchak Guest

Thanks everyone. I was afraid the Steyr was bigger. Looks like I'll stick with the G19. I don't love the grip angle but I shot it accurately and it's already pushing the limits of size for a CCW weapon for me. All the other compacts (CZ75, XD, Steyr) seem to be just a bit larger and the sub-compacts just a bit smaller but with much reduced capacity. In the case of the XD it's only about 1/4 shorter in grip length but has 5 fewer rounds.

Thanks again for the help.

7. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

The Glock 19 is a fine pistol, good that you have something that works well for you.

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Everyone should own a Glock, and if it fits you that is good. Steyrs feel much better in the hand and shoot great. I'd steer clear of the XD........But for the price, you can't beat the Steyr at CDNN

9. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

I bought a Glock 23 and after a couple range visits replaced it with an M40-A1. I love the quality of Glocks, they just don't shoot as good as my Steyr does.

I'd rather work at concealing my M40-A1 than own another compact Glock. The only Glock I would consider owning again would be a Glock 30 and even then I'd rather get the compact XD .45 before that.

10. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I have 2 .40 caliber Steyrs and don't own a Glock. I've shot a few, and think they handle and shoot just fine. In competitions, I've seen them go down as often as anything else, which usually is due to reloads/remfg ammo. I prefer the grip angle, trigger, look, and unique aspects of the Steyr. I'm considering an M9-A1 to save on ammo expenses.

11. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

So where is this guy located? He is giving up on Steyr because of .2"?

Why does it not tell you where people are from now?

12. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

You have to go into the user control panel and put in your location manually.

13. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Good Call......

8) 8)

[....hate mail starts now....]

:| :|

14. I don't see the major difference with .2", but to each their own. If you're looking for compact pistols there are lot more compact than the G19.

15. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

It doesn't seem like much but there is a difference. Laying my G23 on top of my M40-A1 was noticeable.