M9 vs. M40 slides

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Gray_Wolf, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Is there any difference between the 9mm and .40/.357 slides? Other than the calibre markings of course.

Are the extractors and extractor sockets the same in 9mm and .40 slides? I was thinking maybe the new extractor I got was for .40 calibre Steyr that’s why it’s not flash with the slide?

Can anyone who owns both 9mm and .40 or .357 pistols post a picture of the ejection window of two slides next to each other?

2. Slunglo

Slunglo Guest

M40 vs M9 extractor parts

Just from looking at the parts manual... it appears the extractor parts are the same. The parts list showing differences in the slides / barrels and mags only.

Sorry no pictures....

3. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

If the extractors are the same, that would mean that all you need to go from a .40 or .357sig Steyr to 9mm (or other way around) is a barrel not the entire slide assembly.

Has anyone tried changing the barrels (and magazines) between M9 and M40/M357 to see if it would work? Can someone please test this and report back?

4. Slunglo

Slunglo Guest

M40 vs M9 extractor parts

I think there is some confusion here...

From reading on this site... It is my understanding the slides for the .40 and the 9mm are different. The extractor parts are the same.

I also have read to convert from a .40 to a .357 sig, all you need is the barrel since the cartridge diameter of the .40 and .357 sig are the same, bullet obviously different. Same clips work for both is also my understanding.

9mm ... the barrel, slide, clips are all different.

so.. as far as your question regarding the extractor parts.... all appear to be the same.... A1's not withstanding.

5. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

That makes sense since .40 chamber/ barrel would be wider of course, including the muzzle hole in the slide. Ps: I have a cold... not thinking straight.... :oops:

I would still love to see a photo of 9mm slide and .40 or .357 next to each other with ejection ports visible...

6. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Unless they factored it in and the 9mm barrel is a bit thicker than it otherwise would have to be?
    That would make much more sense production wise than making two different slides, wouldn't it?
    But no, I don't actually know. Hopefully someone will do a comparison.

The extractor parts are the same as the rim of the cartridge is the same with 9mm, .40 and .357 (remember they also use the same case holder in reloading equipment).

7. Guest

Guest Guest

i thought that the rim on the 9mm was different than on the 357/40? This would explain the need for different slide. Am I wrong?

8. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

only the size is different on the rim otherwise its same principal.

slide muzzle hole is bigger on 40/357. barrel for 40/357 thicker.
    IGB in Austria can make conversion barrels to 9mm.
    9mm is stuck with 9mm.

9mm casehead measures nearly under .400
    40sw casehead measures .421

last time I tested my m40 would feed and extract 9mm.
    m9 barrel is very loose in m40 slide would say it is not close to fitting at all

9. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

extractors and ejectors are the same for 9 and 40.

got bored one day and threw the m9 barrel on the s40 frame. inserted a 9 mag and blasted away. no sweat. looked funny. worked great. i'd be into a short grip/ long barrel 40 for carry if my s40 wasn't already a tack driver.

i noticed a cut on the underside of the m9 slide that isn't on the s40. looks to be purely in the interest of lightening the slide. it could be that even the recoil springs are the same from 9 to 40 and they use a lighter slide on the 9 to compensate. but i don't have an m40 to compare so i'm kinda comparing apples to oranges.

anyone with m9 an m40, or s9 and s40... is there a cut in the bottom of the 9 slide that isn't on the 40?

10. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

What BIGTACO has said is consistent with what I was told by my shop who works rather closely with Steyr USA. This information didn't come from Steyr USA but from the shop itself.

When I mentioned that some had put a 9mm barrel in a .40 slide I was told that this was fine and that the fit should be good as the 9mm barrel had more meat on it to fit the .40/357 slide. It does require the use of a 9mm magazine.

If that is the case then a .40 or 357 barrel theoretically should fit in an M9 but I have my doubts about the whole thing.

I'm going to put my M40 and newly acquired M9 side by side and get my calipers out and see what it going on.

Buzz

11. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

So does this mean that 9mm and .40 barrels have the same diameter?

I thought my M9A1 had thin barrel walls compared to my 92FS, if the above is true than the .40 Steyrs must have realy thin barrels...

btw I have been told by Jack or Jeff from Steyr USA (can't remember who) that M9's and M40's use different extractors.

12. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I did the measuring with my M40-A1 and M9-A1 side by side. With the M9 the outside diameter of the barrel is .51 inches. The outside diameter of the barrel opening in the slide is .53 inches.

With the M40 the outside diameter of the barrel is .57 inches. The outside diameter of the barrel opening in the slide is .60 inches.

Based on the barrel sizes alone it is clear that a .40 barrel (and I assume a 357 barrel) will never go in a M9. There is room for an M9 barrel to fit in the M40 slide, but there will be a .09 inch gap between barrel and slide as opposed to waht it typically a .2 inch or .3 inch gap with the proper barrel in the proper slide. Apparently, based on BIGTACOS experience, the gap isn't a problem, although he was using a longer barrel in a shorter slide. My shop guy said that the M9 barrel would work in the M40, but he had the gap issue wrong in that no extra meat was added to the M9 barrel to close the gap. While that would be nice it would be pretty poor marketing on the part of Steyr making the gun a three-caliber gun rather than three sepate guns with only two of three potentially mulit-caliber.

With markings inside the slide, both slides have that tilted "3" on the inside slide top. Up by the muzzle on the underside below where the guide rod/spring fits on the M9 it iss tamped "U6" or "U9", and with the M40 it is stamped "V1" or "1V". I noticed no other differences and didn't compare extractors. I'll take another look as I wasn;t able to spend as much time as I would have liked.

It seems to me that an M9 can only be an M9. An M40 or M357 can be both base calibers and may also be able to be a 9mm. I think that I will give Steyr a call and discuss this issue with them.

Today besides picking up a new M9-A1 I also began the purchase of a used older generation M9. I'll put all the slides side by side when they gun arrives, or maybe someone else could if they have a mind to.

Buzz

13. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

thanks for the info :)

if you get more time maybe you could compare the extractors side by side.

14. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I will do that.

I do have one question. Is the 357 barrel that I would use to shoot 357 from my M40 a conversion barrel or is it just a standard 357 barrel that I would take from an M357 and put into my M40?

Buzz

15. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

By the way, while we're on the topic of calibers, I'll make a prediction.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the M45-A1 is introduced at the upcoming SHOT show. If you read between the lines with a lot of what has been written, and said, it seems pretty certain to me.

Buzz

16. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I don’t have a M40 or M357 but since .357sig is a necked down .40 I’m think the barrels are the same (other than bore diameter of course).

Funny you mentioned .45; I just got a reply from a sales mang. from Steyr Austria about 10mm pistol. He said they just produced S-A1 pistols. But he's "pretty sure one of their (constructors) future projects could be a bigger frame on the pistol, which fits the .45 ACP and the 10 mm Auto." :)

17. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I think that the 45 is definitely coming. Actually, according to the designer of the gun it has been for years. Here's a quote taken form an article on the M and S at The Sight: Rumors from the Jan. 2000 Shot Show: I was told some interesting information from someone who attended the show and had spoken with Bubits. Besides the "S" series, Bubits talked about a Steyr .45. He mentioned that the .45 would use regular 1911 style 8-round magazines. This model may be shown in the 2001 Shot Show.

To me it is clear that Stery has seriously targeted the US market for the first time. Look at the establsihment of Stery USA in Cumming, GA. That type of commitment to the market has not come from Steyr before. And if you have targeted the US market offering a .45 is absolutely crucial. Anyone competing in the US combat handgun market who doesn't offer a .45 will be relgated to an "also ran" status. And then when you have Glock as direct competition you are dead without a .45 and will end up a brand appreciated by only a few and what some have called a "cult following."

Also, look at the new M-A1s. I see this new version, as it is being offered in the US, by and large an Americanization of the old M and S versions. Gone is the manual safety (Americans don't want them or need them: look at the Glock) which is up to now only an option offered with European offerings. Too many safety features, espcially those that allegedly engage by themselves, tend to piss off Americans. I could make the same argument with the new rail as a direct appeal to the US market.

If Steyr wants to sell guns in the US, currently in the shadow of Glock, their need for a .45 is downright urgent.

At least that's the way that I see it.

Buzz

PS. It's funny that Steyr USA headquartered a stone's throw from Glock who is just a bit down the road in Smyrna.

18. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Talk about buying a gun sight unseen in a heartbeat! And I can use my Wilson 1911 mags too. :D

19. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I don’t know, I mean that was in 2000 and almost 7 years later it’s not here yet... I’m sure they will eventually make a .45acp model, but it might still be a while.

I hope they'll make a 10mm first :p

20. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

The word is, and you didn't hear this from me, but Steyr is going to be full of suprises at the SHOT show this year.

I'm a hopin'.

Buzz