Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone on here figure out a good replacement for the stock Steyr striker spring? It seems to me that the spring is way too long and binds as the trigger is pulled. I would like to find a replacement of the same required weight - but in a shorter package.

I know about the springs that Big Taco sells... but they are reduced power springs. I would like a full power spring that simply does not bind.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Get the BT delrin cups, they solve the problem. Like BT, I've played with springs. The cups solved the problem, period. The spring doesn't really compress to binding, the little weight (the C-shaped metal part holding the spring on) is the problem. The BT cups go between the spring and the striker spring guide rod and eliminate the friction caused by the weight.

Make sure, before you install the cups, that you polish out the drag marks on the spring guide rod caused by the weight. Chuck the rod in a drill and use some 800 crocus cloth and then 1200 grit wet/dry to polish it. Just get rid of the marks, don't remove a lot of metal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ETH77 - this is sound advice. This is kinda what I plan on doing.

I have two sets of the delrin cups and the springs on order from BT. I intend on buying one of the new L9s when they come out, so I wanted to have parts on hand to do it.

I really wonder if possibly having the cups and a better spring would result in a really fantastic trigger.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Having played with springs from Fisher Spring Co. I can say that just like BT, I found the smaller springs to be unreliable with the trigger reset and strike.

Mostly, if you'll polish the trigger bar (the part that snakes from the trigger back to trip the sear), and polish where it rubs on the fire control group container (AKA MIM), you'll see terrific improvement, but it will never match a Glock with a trigger job. It will however, be the best stock trigger - barring the Caracal - on the planet. Even the M&P needs more work than that to sing.

I'm not biased or anything like that...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I must have gotten lucky with the small springs. I haven't had one issue with the one I received. That, with the cups, some fine sanding, and a little spring work, and the trigger on my M9A1 has a clean, crisp break like no other. Accurate, to boot, but you all knew that ;)

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Mostly, if you'll polish the trigger bar (the part that snakes from the trigger back to trip the sear), and polish where it rubs on the fire control group container (AKA MIM), you'll see terrific improvement, but it will never match a Glock with a trigger job. It will however, be the best stock trigger - barring the Caracal - on the planet.
:agree: Truth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts