Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my new M9 PW Arms (Cabelas) to the range. Using Winchester White box 115 grain Luger I got 1 FTE in 185 rounds using 3 different brand new magazines. This is also my first time shooting a plastic gun, at 10 yards I was hitting way right (about 6 inches) from bullseye. Thought it was the gun initially but then I start to get a few dead on target. I took out my beautiful old & heavy MAB P15 and was hitting dead on all the time. The Steyr felt real nervous in comparison.
Couple of questions: Is 1 FTE in 185 rounds in a brand new (cleaned and lubed) Steyr any cause for concern? and, Is there a proper shooting or trigger pull technique with the Steyr (or plastic guns in general)?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Welcome to the SteyrClub!

Tell us more after 600 or so rounds. The gun will shoot very accurately out to 35 yards, providing you can see the target that far away. I've hit 12x12 steels at that range with no problem. I was wearing my shooting "cheaters" to do that though.

If you want to make it a dream, get the Big Taco guide rod cups, then polish up the trigger bar per the BT tutorial in the Downloads menu. I've no special trigger pull, just press smoothly rearward like you're getting a soda out of the machine using the push button, but that's the way I press the trigger on my cz75B SAO gaming gun too.

I'd put some moly in the extractor plunger opening as well. The rails seem to like a little viscosity, I get good results with SlideGlide, but YMMV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Will be putting more rounds downrange at the earliest opportunity and getting to know my new Steyr better.

·
Registered
632 Posts
It will fuss a bit with some cheaper ammo, but the FTE's or FTF's are generally ammo related and not gun related. Poor bullet castings or bad primers.

I'd trust the firing pins on these guns, you can just tell it is very hard hitting.

Glad you like your pistol and welcome to Steyr Club!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like the gun a lot so far and will definitely avoid any low grade ammo. Just have get better acquainted to that Glock style trigger and light weight. Off to the range I go!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I really like the gun a lot so far and will definitely avoid any low grade ammo. Just have get better acquainted to that Glock style trigger and light weight. Off to the range I go!
You mean Glock has a Steyr style trigger. :p

har har har.

Shoot up that cheap ammo.
FTE's are good practice opportunities.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You mean Glock has a Steyr style trigger. :p

har har har.

Shoot up that cheap ammo.
FTE's are good practice opportunities.
can we call it the Bubbits trigger?:) has anyone ever figured out who actually designed the glock style double trigger? guess the patent for the glock 17(first gun i've ever seen with this trigger) is under gaston's name so he gets credit? assuming the trigger is part of that patent? fair statement?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, "Bubbits trigger" sounds more correct. Occasionally that trigger safety on my new Steyr seems to stick and be gritty upon on take-up to the main trigger (especially when there is even the slightest sideways pressure), do they all do that? Seems like the plastic on plastic does not make for a consistently smooth trigger pull. Main trigger does break real nice & clean however.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I originally had that problem, solved it with some dry lube. If you're going to put wet lube on it, check to make sure that it doesn't attack filled nylon like Zytel. There are some lubes which are OK for nylon, and some that aren't. Moly spray with an alcohol carrier works, as does just plain graphite powder. I don't know about WD-40, or any of the other gun oils, but I suspect they've all been tested for at least a short time on the surface. It's the long term effects you need to worry about.

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
For pulling to the right, make sure the trigger isn't resting on your finger closer back to your hand than around the first joint crease on your finger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts