M9 or M9-A1...that is the question.

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Big Rick, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

I've been lookin around here on this forum for like a week now. I finally got around to shooting my buddy's M9 the other day and that pretty much made me want an M9. Here is my dilemma... I went around to some local gun shops and asked about the M9 (hadn't really even thought about the M9-A1 at the time) one shop is getting back to me with a price, and another quoted an M9 on sale for $369 as long as I ordered before Tuesday. When I got home, I looked on CDNN. They don't have any M9s but their M9-A1 is $339 (with a free laser).

The accessory rail is cool and all but I think this pistol will probably be my carry pistol when I finally get my permit and I can't imagine that the added size of the accessory rail, much less with an accessory, would make it too easy for a holster. I'm also worried about the lack of the extra safety there in front of the trigger. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions for me? I'm just not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance.

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Get the A1 from CDNN... They are a STEAL.... and will never be this cheap again....

The added size in front is actually negligible.... And many holster makes make holsters for it, they are not any more difficult to hide than a regular M9....

Then.... LATER.... if ya still want an M9, they will still be about that same price.... while A1's will be 600+.....

Simple as that....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Ya gotta go with CDNN for sure with the ridiculous price. I have the M's and have shot the A1. Frankly, I like the grip of the A1 better, but I wouldn't go nuts trying to get the A1 series, they are so similar.....

4. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

Just got off the phone with CDNN...got the M9-A1 on the way...YAY!

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

........... :clap: .................

6. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

PS- :shh: don't tell my girlfriend :shh: ...she is under the impression that I plan on purchasing it...but not for a while lol good thing she doesn't know the combo to my safe :party:

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Why does it matter? You are spending your money, right? :shh: :) Congrats on the buy! :clap:

8. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

because when she met me I had a shotgun, and two air guns (that she didn't even know I had until my more recent purchases)...and in the past few months, I've bought 2 .22s and my Lee Enfield. I bought a safe after the .22s, gotta fill it up (at least half way)! I'm gonna be moving to NC probably in a little over a year or so and I guess she thinks I need to save up for the move...but I'm pretty sure I'll be fine...one or two after this and I should be set for a while in the gun dept and I'll be back to putting my money in the pits that are known as motor vehicles

9. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Right there with ya, Syn......

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

.....go easy on him SynTax.....

.....not everyone is as awesome as you are......

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

:lol: I'm starting to think BT made that thread just to give you guys ammunition... :lol:

12. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

am I missing something? lol I'm sure I am

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The show Syntax some love thread

Whatever. Looks like with the flaming redhead around, he don't need no stinkin' love from us! :mrgreen:

14. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

Well, I picked up my M9-A1 today at the gun shop. Got it home, broke it down and hit it w/ compressed air to get all the gunk out of it from CDNN, checked the mag springs...all good to go. I hit up the range once I did all that and put 126 rounds through it. 126 because I got two boxes of ammo...100 9mm winchester whitebox, and 50 winchester white box HPs. I put 26 round of the HP in the two 14 round mags and 28 of the other in the two 15 round mags. I was gonna stick with just that, but decided to grab the rest of the 100 round box on the way out the door. I shot all that I brought. No problems with it at all. took it home, cleaned it, now its sitting in the safe waiting for my buddy to get his new XD40 in that he just ordered. Then it'll be time for another trip to the range.

Overall, so far, I'm super happy with the Steyr. I didn't really shoot at a target, per se, cause the range was hot when I got there and stayed hot until I was almost done. I just shot at random stuff that was already sitting out there, so I don't really have much to say about groupings and whatnot...I don't think I'm a good enough shot to make my findings worth much either way. but I can tell you that I would throw out shotgun shells to ~15 yards and if I didn't hit them the first shot, it was within the first few.

Can't wait to see what it'll do with a paper target where I can keep track.

It came with a free rail mount laser sight. I pretty much LOLed when I saw it, put it on, and when I got it as close to sighted in as possible while sitting here at my desk and pointing it at the wall 3 feet away, it was still like 2-3" low of where it should be. So thats sitting here and probably will never be used. Its cool though, the gun was still a good deal, even without that.

Now I'm waiting for an internal laser sight/guide rod...just waiting...I'll probably die waiting...but its ok.

Trap night sights would be a sufficient replacement for the internal laser sight...and more likely to happen.

15. bigbob68

bigbob68 Guest

I prefer the original design of the M9 over the new frame of the M9A1. Just my .02

16. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

lol I appreciate the input...a little too late though lol

17. jeepgrandltd

jeepgrandltd Guest

Congrats on your purchase!!! I have both and I also prefer the A1 design due to the grip and of course the standard rail.

BTW, those 14 round mags you got will hold 15 just like the true 15's. I purchased some more 15 round mags from CDNN not too long ago and they had the 14 round holes on the mag but the packaging said 15 round with a special note for the salespeople to remind customers that they are in fact 15 round mags.

Keep enjoying your new toy!!

18. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

Thanks!

yeah I know...I was out shooting with my buddy and rather than explain all that to him, I just said "load it 1 round short to break it in" Can't wait til he gets his XD in and we can go out to the range again.

19. bigbob68

bigbob68 Guest

The XD is nice too but you'll definately notice the higher bore axis.

20. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

XD was the first pistol I ever shot. I still want one...but Steyrs are less expensive and have sweeter sights. So I went with the steyr first...XD will probably be my 3rd or 4th...Colt 1911 45 is next.