M9 / M9-A1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Kelso, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Kelso

Kelso Guest

I am having my local gunshop order me an M9-A1, they have an M9 in the store. I told them I wanted the A1 version in order to get the best possible version of the gun. Aside from the designation the M9 is identicle ( in appearance) to the A1 version they have as a range gun.
    Am I smart to do things this way or does it make no difference? I regard you guys as the last word on this matter.
    What say you?

Rick

2. Guest

Guest Guest

the m-a1 is slightly redesigned. It has a equipment rail on the bottom and no longer comes with the manual safety. The grip is also slightly different. Check out the photo gallery of this web site to see the differences.

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

mechanically its pretty much the same, redesigned extractor............M's are just as good.............

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

5. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

how important is the rail to you?
    how important is the manual safety to you?
    which grip feels better to you? (A1's grip is not as ovalish).

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Rick :)

What Chef said. I have the M-A1 but don't want the rail. <shrug> The grip, however, fits my hands much better than the M does. Only the M's have the manual safety. The rest is pretty much identical, except for the new extractor kits, which should be interchangeable with any M or M-A1 Series. Put 'em both in your hand. Shoot 'em both if you're able, then decide for yourself. G'luck.

Wulf

7. Kelso

Kelso Guest

Thanks guys. I lay my money down for the A1 model today. Dig it!

Rick

8. anticentipede

anticentipede New Member

But if you buy the older m series, wouldn't you have problems with spare parts? and magazines and barrels etc.

The M series has been discontinued.

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Nope, parts are all the same except for extractor and grip configuration....

10. anticentipede

anticentipede New Member

Ok, then what about the manual safety, why did Steyr remove that from the new version.

I think the a-1 would be better with one.

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I think you can get a manual safety pistol, but frankly I find it in a strange place and would rather not use it. I want to know my gun is going bang and not surprised that a slammed mag has engaged my safety unbenonced to me.............. 8-O It has happened and i considered removing it and glass/boxy-ing it permanently................

12. madecov

madecov Active Member

I have one of each ( M and MA1 )
    I prefer the A1 as it is more ergonomic too me.

13. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

manual safety is still available on new A1's as an option in europe. It was going to be an option here too, but they eventually dropped it for the US market fo their own reasons (all kinds of speculation, from legal issues to marketing).

A VERY few handful are in the US w/ them, but it was only in the first import shipment.