Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at YouTube videos of the A2 being fired...lots of people complaining about:

#1 Mushy trigger. Well it's plastic so expect that.

#2 No distinct reset with the trigger. I never worry much about that. But those that compete might be affected by it. Also those that like to rapid fire and also be accurate. Actually, one of the shooters said he preferred the A1 trigger to the A2. Wonder what they fiddled with to change it?

#3 Failure of slide to lock back. This could just be the need for the gun to be broken in. Never had that problem on a Glock, but evidently Steyrs are subject to it.

#4 Complaints about the grip angle. Mainly they need to get used to the feel of the gun.

#5 Shots going left of POA. This seems to be VERY common. Two videos had a rear sight that was obviously left of center on the gun. That should have been caught at the factory. Shame on quality control.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an M9-A2. I absolutely experienced #5 to the point that I adjusted the rear sight to compensate. It still shoots a tad to the left, but I will get a few hundred more rounds through it before I attempt any further adjustment (if needed). I have no complaints abouts #'s 1,2,3 or 4.
I also experienced an out of battery lock up of the slide but was using aluminum ammo. It should be noted that the lock up occurred during the first (maybe it was the second?) mag full from new. On the subsequent range trip after a thorough clean and lube, using Federal brass FMJ, I experienced no functional issues.

·
Super Moderator
327 Posts
Looking at YouTube videos of the A2 being fired...lots of people complaining about:

#1 Mushy trigger. Well it's plastic so expect that.

#2 No distinct reset with the trigger. I never worry much about that. But those that compete might be affected by it. Also those that like to rapid fire and also be accurate. Actually, one of the shooters said he preferred the A1 trigger to the A2. Wonder what they fiddled with to change it?

#3 Failure of slide to lock back. This could just be the need for the gun to be broken in. Never had that problem on a Glock, but evidently Steyrs are subject to it.

#4 Complaints about the grip angle. Mainly they need to get used to the feel of the gun.

#5 Shots going left of POA. This seems to be VERY common. Two videos had a rear sight that was obviously left of center on the gun. That should have been caught at the factory. Shame on quality control.
I find the trigger to be one of the better polymer pistol options out there. 2 is true, but I have never had a issue with it competing or otherwise, it’s a training issue that is quickly resolved. 3 and 4 are related. The high grip tends to have people ride the release so it doesn’t lock back, I do this. Once I got used to the grip angle I have a hard time going back since I like it more. 5 is an issue and adjusting sights can work, but many of them lack time with the gun and may be just not being use to the handgun pulling their shots, some is a sight alignment issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Left one off....no accessories. Glock has them beat to he** and back for accessories. A mushy trigger on a Glock can be easily remedied with some polishing compound on 3 parts. Plus a ton of aftermarket trigger assemblies. LOL...you are lucky to even find a holster that fits a Steyr. :) Steyr will never catch up to Glock with accessories. Only recently have spare mags become available again for the M9-A1.

·
Super Moderator
327 Posts
True, Glock and sig run the after market world and I dare say pretty soon sig might take the aftermarket throne. If you want a Steyr holster I would go double click or black trident. Both make great ready to ship options. Alien gear makes it but the one I saw was a terrible holster. The after market I have seen is guide rods, recoil reduction assemblies, sights, holsters, trigger jobs, and some 2ndary converted mags with higher round count that are not worth using ( bad reliability). The only other pistol I use much is a sig 226 and outside of a holster and optics cut slide I haven’t done much for it. Really the only thing missing on the a2 for me is a optics cut. That said I just bought another a2 for a test run so hopefully soon a local shop will offer optics cut slides.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For a holster, I bought one from WeThePeopleHolsters.com. They only make a holster for the L9-A2, and I have an M9-A2. I broke out the Dremel. All good now. I will say that the Kydex material is too thin for my liking, and that my Cytac holsters are far more "sturdy" and of better quality. It was inexpensive compared to the other options though and is good enough for what I need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts