M9-A1 or M40-A1 for a CCW gun?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by code_mafia, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Steyrile said it perfectly.

Don't get me wrong - I love the company, but there are a lot of people out there who will cite Steyr's previous lack of service as a dealbreaker, with absolutely no consideration for the present reality of the situation.

2. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

That's unfortunate, as a great many potential Steyr owners are never gonna know what they're missing! The service SAI provided for me just a couple of weeks ago was really top notch. :D
    ________
    mugdava

3. It is true...people get screwed on parts or service in the past and they never forgive. The gun world is like that I guess.

Things have changed for the better though and I would put current Steyr support for their product up against any other company.

4. nc_gunner

nc_gunner Guest

The M is bigger than I personally would carry, but I'm also leaning towards a Kel-Tec for CCW purposes (small and light is what I'm all about). If you're looking for something other than that .45 to carry, anything will seem small and compact, and lightweight as well.

Personally, I'd go for .40 cal instead of 9mm or 357SIG. A couple LE buddies of mine both swore that .40 was better in tactical situations because of better penetration w/ higher energy. 357SIG is too pricey for my taste, you're looking at upwards of $1.20 a round to shoot. I get .40s for $.20 a round, much better on my wallet (I don't do any handloading at all). You can get 185gr Winchester Rangers for less than $.30 a round for carry, and they will put a serious hurt on whatever they hit.

The Steyr M40-A1 has quick draw, very fast target acquisition, and plenty of power in a relatively compact package. My M40's just broken in (700 rounds or so) but the only problem I had was a couple misfires when my fiance was shooting because her trigger pull was very slow and weak (she's new to shooting). I've never handled a more natural feeling gun, I don't think you'd be at all disappointed.

Only thing you might have an issue with is the trapezoidal rear sight. It seems to catch on clothing more easily because of it's angles. A standard sight with verticals wouldn't hook clothing as easily.

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

"
    And whats your experience since switching?

What made you switch?

Why don't more people shoot Steyr's instead of Glock/XD/M&P?"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry Code, I've been out of pocket for a while.
    The reason I switched was I shoot the Steyr much better and its safety is actually usable in a way that does not slow down a combat draw.
    I have about 1300 rounds thru my M9 with no problem. But I would still give Glock an edge in reliability and would go back to carring them if the M9 started to give me problems.
    As for why others don't use the Steyr, I think it is a combination of the things you have been told above.
    Steyr was not the first popular adopter of the polymer design like Glock, and is a small operation compared to S&W and Springfield.

6. code_mafia

code_mafia Guest

Thanks for the follow-up and the honesty. The edge in reliability is why I purchased a G34. I wanted something that I could shoot in IDPA/IPSC/USPSA and be completely dependable for summer carry. Because its also a carry gun, I won't trick it out with internal modifications because I don't want to affect the reliability. I opted for tritium sights instead of the fiber optic sights also. I also bought a G17 for my son to shoot competition with me and have since installed the extended mag release and extended slide release for the G34. Since the purchase and shooting them in several competitions, they have been 100% reliable and the more I use them the more appreciation I am developing for them.

I still like the Steyr's and plan to purchase one (maybe more) in the future and draw my own conclusions, but for the time being, I went with the Glock. I too like that .357 Sig round and plan to get something chambered in that round. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

7. SELFDEFENSE

Code:
    The G34 is a great gun. The sight radius is a big help for aging eyes. My G17L is a great gun which I carried for almost 7 years. It and my G19 are now in my SHTF bags along with lots of ammo and lots of 17 and 32 round mags (being about 4 miles as the crow flies from the White House, I take my SHTF outfitting seriously).
    Best of luck with the G34; but you have to give the more refined, ergonomic, and slick Steyrs a try in the near future. 8)

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The .357SIG is definitely the undisputed champion in the penetration department, and in many cases it also trumps the .40S&W for energy. The selling points for the .40S&W are the larger permanent wound channel and slightly greater bone-breaking mass.

9. SELFDEFENSE

In most of the controlled-jello assasinations I've seen, light and fast bullets tend to penetrate less because they mushroom quicker and wider and therefore stop quicker. Some .357 Sig even fail the minimum FBI penetration standard because of this.
    For example, from the Winchester LEO site I mentioned above; Winchester Ranger T ammo penetration/expansion (not the shabbiest ammo in the world):
    9mm 147 gr. -------Jello 13.9"/.65" heavy cloth 14.0"/.66" wallboard 15.0"/.67" auto glass 10.8"/.52" vel=990 fps
    9mm 127 gr +P+--Jello 12.3"/.64" heavy cloth 12.2"/.68" wallboard 12.1"/.66" auto glass 9.4"/.48" vel=1250 fps
    357Sig 125 gr.----Jello 10.9"/.63" heavy cloth 10.7"/.69" wallboard 15.4"/.48" auto glass 10.3"/.49" vel=1350 fps

Also shows why I'm a 9mm fan. You can go from low-cost practice and self-defense JHP rounds which meet FBI penetration requirements, and still have a 357 Sig in the same gun (disguised as a 9mm +P+ with better penetration).