M9-A1 or M40-A1 for a CCW gun?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by code_mafia, Feb 4, 2007.

1. code_mafia

code_mafia Guest

I currently carry a full size, stainless 1911 (the one in my avatar) as my everyday CCW primary. I love this gun, it runs SO well. But I'm looking for my first poly gun, for hot, summertime carry. I have been looking at Glocks (probably the G17 or G19), M&P's, XD's and someone recommended the Beretta PX4. I have always like the Steyr M's.

For a CCW gun, it MUST be ultimately reliable, which will probably eliminate the XD's from my list as I have heard several reports of problems. I saw one post on here about the manual safety on a Steyr engaging when it wasn't supposed to. Is that a problem with a specific model of Steyr?

Do any of you carry a M9-A1 or M40-A1 for CCW (and I mean everyday)? Are they reliable enough to bet your life on?

I picked the 1911 because I have kind of small hands and the single stack fits my hands so well. How does the size of the grip on these Steyr's compare?

Why should I pick a Steyr over a Glock/PX4/M&P?

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Because it's a better pistol.

If you can get your hands on one in a gun shop, or even better, rent one at a range or shoot a buddy's Steyr pistol, M, MA1, S or SA1, I think that will answer your questions better than anything anyone can say.

Just holding a Steyr M or S may be all it takes. It just feels "right."

As for small hands, I read a recent article by Masaad Ayoob, AKA Mr. Glock, who specifically recommended a Steyr pistol for smaller hands.

As for reliability, read this article, "90.000 Rounds of Maintenance and Repair"
    By IDPASteyr

https://steyrclub.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=7

As a matter of personal preference, I have a M357-A1 that I would recommend over a M40-A1 for the ballistic advantage.

And last but not least, CDNN currently has MA1s for $350 until they're gone.

3. code_mafia

code_mafia Guest

I have read the 90,000 rounds article before, thus part of the reason I like the Steyr's. I'll try to find someone with one close to me so I can see how it feels and hopefully get to shoot it.

What is CDNN? By MA1's, do you mean both the M9-A1 and M40-A1?

I didn't know they made a .357 version. I kind of want to use a smaller caliber like 9mm if I go to a lighter gun.

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

all gun designs have had less than ultra reliable examples.

steyr hasnt had to much mainly extraction issues with M9's
    but that can be fixed.

S&W M&P and VE series strikers are not as good as they could be.
    been some striker breakage. managed to break a pin in a 40VE easily fixed. S&W warranty service is the best paid shipping both ways. M&P has nice setup of parts in the frame. front and rear steel blocks with frame rails and 2 linkage arms reinforcing the polymer frame.

XD relatively good though heard the V10's slide will break at the porting believe they may have updated to prevent that. had a small number of issues with slide lock/releases that would bump 40sw bullet and activate minor fix involved. rust issue but easy to fix with refinish or get stainless or melonite versions.

Glocks. rumors of new generation coming out with changes to magazine specs. may affect the inexpensive magazine supply with changes. simple design but can and has had issues. frame rails breaking,free upgrades and no recalls. some shady shake downs with a gun sent in and a "deal" on a new or refurbed gun.
    FTF/FTEx. magazine follower changes over the generations.
    lots of parts but various generations to keep track of. lots of aftermarket accessories.

steyr because it fits your hand and has reliable examples. some need breakin 500-1000. similar to some 1911's can be finicky.
    people at steyrarms are nice and handle service when they have the parts at the moment bit of a company shakeup.
    can get a cdnn steyr ma1 in 40sw and 9mm for $350 or order 3 for less. tight chamber and rifling makes for excellent accuracy when shooter does his part. crisp trigger. easier to clean than all other designs when familiar with how take the metal frame out.

5. code_mafia

code_mafia Guest

One more thing, I have been to the Steyr website, but they don't really list much info as far as specs and functions on these guns. So they have a manual safety? Is there any other place where I can get specs on them, maybe a diagram that shows the controls?

How much do the M9-A1's weigh empty and with a full mag? Same question for the M40-A1?

6. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

If you are using the .45 ACP 1911 platform, why not choose a poly-framed gun chambered in that caliber?

For a hot weather easily concealed polymer framed pistol in .45 ACP, I'd have to recommend the Kahr P45.

I own both a stainless P45 and a blackened DLC P45 -- each is 100% reliable, surprisingly accurate, and has an excellent DAO trigger.

Try it -- you just might like it.

7. code_mafia

code_mafia Guest

I already have the big/slow/low capacity in the 1911. I'm trying to expand my thinking and try the smaller/lighter/high capacity. I think a .45 in a poly gun will have sharp recoil because the gun weighs less, and I will train and possibly compete with whichever gun I pick. Uncomfortable recoil won't lend itself to extended training, so I'm focusing on either 9mm or .40.

8. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

I will give you my two cents worth (and that's because it's worth) leans to the 40 cal. The size between the two isn't a difference. I would (and use the 40 ) recommend it becuase of two reasons. First and foremost, is it's stopping power. I would prefer to place only one shot than worry about having to get off a second shot with my adrenaline pumping. If you need to pull the weapon, you would want to take as little time with the least amount of shots possible.

Now why don't I recomend the .45 ? Well I try to shot a lot (no I don't reload, too lazy and time constraints) of rounds. The 9mm is the least expensive, then the .40 and of course the .45. I can shoot a box for 10-12 dollars of some really good brass. Don't use aluminum casings.

I like the pistols handling of the .40. The .45 was a little too much to keep the grouping tight for me. Buy one and join USPSA (IPSC) and/or IDPA. This way, no matter which you choose, you'll be a great shot.

Take Care !

MidTNShooter

9. steyrile

steyrile Member

I used to carry a Colt Defender. Very nice piece and similar in size to the Steyr.
    Health, Peace
    Steyrile

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I CCW my M9A1 in the summer time with no problems. I actually have a few other smaller/lighter guns, but the M9A1 in a Blade-Tech UCH carry better than all of the others. With 15+1, the M9A1 weighs just a hair more than a loaded USPc .45.

Reliability has been an issue for some, but you only hear about the horror stories, so it's hard to say. Make sure you run ~500 rounds downrange to make sure you didn't get a lemon and for break-in purposes. Mine was finicky until the 500 round mark, but then I sent my mags back to SAI and got new ones, and I have been alright ever since.

The new A1 series will come with no manual safety, so you won't have to worry about that accidentally engaging.

Regarding the 9mm vs. .40 debate, it's been done ad nauseum, so all I'm going to say is 9mm will get the job done just as well as anything else - just be sure you do your part.

BTW - where are you located? Perhaps there is a board member in the area who would let you try one out?

11. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

My P45s are some of the mildest shhoting 45s I own. Based upon your original post, I think you'd find that shooting one with a handall jr. would fit your hand quite nicely.

However, with regards to the Steyr you might want to try both the original M-series as well as the A1 in terms of grip fit for your hand. I prefer my M40-A1 over my M40 and M357 -- so much that I took the 357 top end and placed it on the A1 frame. But others prefer the original grip.

12. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Hi Code_Mafia,

You can find a manual and some tutorials under the files button at the top of the STEYRClub.com page.

CDNN Sports, Inc. is: (in their own words)
    A Well Established Mail Order Company With A 16 Year History!
    P.O. Box 6514 • Abilene, Texas 79608
    Telephone 800-588-9500 • Fax 325-695-4898

You can download their latest catalog (with the Steyr M on the cover) here:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

357 Sig

The Steyr M357, or the new version M357-A1, is 357 Sig cal., which is a 9mm bullet in a necked-down .40 cal shell casing. It's ballistics are higher than .40 cal due to the smaller bullet being pushed by equivalent powder loads.

After much research in looking for a smaller, lighter caliber than my 10mm S&W, plus a higher capacity magazine, I settled on 357 Sig in general and finally the Steyr M357A1 in particular. I love my S&W 1076, but it has the same drawbacks as 1911 .45s, weight, size and low capacity mags. The M357A1 meets all three of those upgrades from my 10mm with little loss in ballistics. It is also an upgrade in ballistics from .45 ACP whereas the M9A1 is a downgrade from .45.

I have not shot a Steyr M9 or M9A1 or M40 or M40A1, but club members who have both say the recoil of the M357 is somewhat higher than the 9mm and somewhat lower than the .40, so somewhere in between.

I certainly don't find it objectionable, even after shooting 200-300 rds. on a typical range trip. It's a great shooting pistol, though hard to find right now. I had to do a few days of Internet shopping before locating mine.

CDNN has a good supply of M9A1s and M40A1s but no M357A1s.

14. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

I too, prefer the M357 over the M40. The low bore axis and quick reset trigger of the Steyr make it a great platform for this hot little cartridge. The only drawback was the cost of ammunition.

When I found http://www.ammoman.com and their CCI Lawman ammo, it became possible to shoot economically for range work.

For carry ammo, I selected the Winchester Ranger T SXT -- very effective!

15. My Steyr MA140 is my "go-to" pistol for CCW and night stand home defense.

The MA140 does not have the manual safety unless you special order it or purchase one of the few that came in early during import that have it.

The LCI is a nice CCW feature and the trigger is one of the best DAO trigger out there, which something a person used to a 1911 may like (not as nice, but better than any other DAO polymer).

Limited Recoil, Superior Ergos, REAL Natural Point (seriously you'll laugh at all claims that different pistols have "natural point" after holding a Steyr, and of course little muzzle rise.

Being used to a 1911 you'll want to of course swap out the trap sights and replace them with traditional post sights. PT Night Sights are pretty nice and a lot of us here have them on our Steyrs.

The MA1 will go bang when you need it and keep going bang. It must however be lubricated more so than a Glock due to its tighter tolerances. You'll also have to feed it with decent ammunitition. Avoid Wolf and UMC ammo for it and stick to CCI Blazer Brass or WWB and you'll be fine.

16. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

17. code_mafia

code_mafia Guest

And whats your experience since switching?

What made you switch?

Why don't more people shoot Steyr's instead of Glock/XD/M&P?

18. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Marketing is probably 95% of the reason why Steyr goes unnoticed.

Some people won't try out the M's because of Steyr's history here in the states.

19. code_mafia

code_mafia Guest

And what history is that?

20. steyrile

steyrile Member

The only constant in Steyr's US history has been lack of customer service. Steyr firearms have been sold here for a hundred years but service parts aren't readily available. All this has changed for the better and with more people shooting Steyr's than ever, parts and support are in demand and Steyr certainly won't f**k it up AGAIN.
    Health, Peace
    steyrile