M9-A1 - New vs. old 15 mag springs, both 9 coil, almost same

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Optimator, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Optimator

Optimator Guest

Hello All,

Being a new owner of some M9-A1 pistols updating the 15 rd. springs for the "longer" 11 coil springs was in obvious need. But, I was surprised at the results.

New and old together. Bottom, new. Top, old. Both short.
    [​IMG]

Here, an old spring in need of replacement. Measured .0480" wire thickness.
    [​IMG]

Here is a photo of a new, updated spring 15 rd. spring from the latest batch from Austria. This is from the batch to replace the old, and what I thought, short spring. Measured .0485".
    [​IMG]

Here is the long spring no longer made. It measured .0480".
    [​IMG]

It turns out the new and the old are the same length and have the same number of coils. I was told that the new is a heavier gauge, and most interestingly, that the longer spring with more coils is no longer made. Before anyone says anything, I know measuring wire with a caliper up to five-ten-thousandths is not very accurate, but as I have many of both of all of these three springs my measurements were shown to be consistent throughout.

So, as I learned, the 11 coil springs are gone, only thin 9 coil springs that are prone to extreme rattle when loaded or failure to lock-back need to be replaced by the new, thicker 9 coil spring just in from Austria.

Has anyone else compared their replacement springs with the "short" springs? I am very interested in other's experiences on this as I am still confused by this whole mag spring thing. Post pics of your replacement springs if you have them.

By the way, the folks at Steyr have been great help and have demonstrated customer service that rivals my dealings with a certain 1911 "custom" shop of high reputation. In my opinion, that really adds to the joy of ownership.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I talked to SAI on this about 2 weeks ago after a friend picked up a new M9A1 w/ 2 extra mags - 2 had short springs and 2 had long. Customer service said they no longer use the longer "blue" springs and instead have up the strength of the same sized spring, so there isn't any convenient way for us to tell which spring is which anymore :(. I'm still guessing most of the CDNN pistols are coming with the crappy old 10 round springs, but it seems that the only way to know for sure is to try it and see if you experience any trouble...

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

So far so good on the six new mags I got from CDNN, 4 9mm and 2 40/357. Haven't opened them up yet, but all four of the 9mm shot without a ripple on first run and though I had 2 FTEs with one of the 357 mags, it was on a one-handed Rooster Cogburn shootdown. :roll:

What's puzzling me, 2 9mm mags are marked 14 rds. and 2 mags are marked 15 rds. What's up widdat? Seems like I might remember something about one or the other was more prone to have the Clinton ban springs. And how many coils do the short springs have, vs. long ones?

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

This may help, NetFoto.....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Thanks Babs. You da' man. So if they've got 10 coils, they're Clinton ban mags and others may have more or less than 10 but either way, they work. Simple enough. So far only had a couple of FTEs while shooting one-handed with one of the new 40/357 mags so I may not have a mag problem at all. But when I get a round tuit I oughta open up all my mags and count coils. Gotta get off my duff and do it sometime this week before I shoot again Saturday. Sigh....

6. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

10 coils for 10 rounders = OK

Full capacity Magazines need 11 coils[9mm] or 12 coils[40 S&W/357 SIG]...

Nobody seems to have a clue where the 9 coil springs came from.... But we all know where they belong!!!!

BTW, the replacement springs for the 9 coils springs have only 10 coils, but are a thicker gauge wire with more tension....

So, if you open up a magazine with the newest replacement springs in it, and only count coils, you could accidentally condemn a good spring...

So, for my own sanity, I have 'marked' my NEW 10 coil springs in my 9mm full capacity magazines by dabbing a little bit'o white paint on the lock pin of the spring plate. This is clearly visible when viewing the magazine up close from the bottom, but not from any distance, or any other angle, thusly not fuglying up my beautiful Steyrs!!!!

Go ahead, say it.... someone is just a lil' bit AR....

7. clemsonsteyger

clemsonsteyger New Member

I am coming in a little late on the magazine question, but figured I would ask anyway. I have read the, from what I can tell, two post regarding the short sprigs. This sparked my interest due to the fact that I was seeing consistent FTE everytime I went to the range and it was consistent with one particular magazine. I have 3 magazines that I purchased from CDNN and 1 that was original with the gun. The 3 from CDNN are marked 14, but obviously the hold 15, the other is marked 15. The three from CDNN all have the long 11 coil springs and the other has 9 coil springs. So I guess my question how can I determine that this spring needs to be swapped out? I was getting really weary regarding my Styer because of the FTE, I want to be able to rely on it 100%, not 90%. I am hoping that the magazine is the issue. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chad

8. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

The new improved springs for the 9mm magazines were only just recently [less than 60 days] made available, so I would think it safe to assume your magazine has the old spring in it... 9 coils = BAD....

Try to mark the magazine that gives your FTF and I think you will see it is always the same magazine, the one with the 9 coil spring....

9. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

...and if I might presume to finish babs' answer, if it is bad, send it to SAI or just call them. I believe others have gotten new mags just by calling. Either way, they will fix the problem. :mrgreen:
    Steyr Arms, INC.
    5977 Steeplechase Blvd.
    Cumming, Ga. 30040
    Phone number 770-888-4201
    Fax 770 888-4863

Jack Riddle <-- The SC Contact Man
    Jeff Reece <-- The Parts and Service Man

10. clemsonsteyger

clemsonsteyger New Member

Spoke with Jeff and he said send him the magazine and he would send me a replacement.

Sweet!