M9-A1 magazines are not drop free

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Corbin Dallas, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Corbin Dallas

Corbin Dallas New Member

I searched "drop free" in this forum but came up craps.

Any suggestions on making these mags drop free like my glocks?

I had some serious trouble yesterday at our local IDPA match. Had to "rip" the mag out every damm time.

2. Abakan94

Abakan94 New Member

I have the same issue with my new M9-A1 - it came with the 17 round PLUS mags.
    Since I am not going to clean mine until I put 1,000 rounds thru it (little experiment), I suspect I will continue to have this problem. When I get done with my testing I will look into this further. There must be some way to slick up the grip frame. I do not think the mags are the issue. My mag release button is also very tight and it takes some force to overcome the spring tension.

3. CAR

CAR New Member

I own an M9, an M40-A1 and an L9-A1, the magazines drop free in all of them if you fully depress the magazine catch.

4. Dax

Dax New Member

Same here: I have a C9 and it drops liquid quick when I press the release with "authority". Maybe just a good, solid clean and oil is needed.

But welcome to the Club!

Dax
    Hoping Santa will drop off a new AUG for Christmas...

5. Mo Hepworth

Mo Hepworth New Member

it is not an issue of making anything smooth or oiled. the magazine release is shaped to not drop free. use a round hobby file to trim the front of the mag release ( forward of the part of the release the holds the mag in. )

6. Mo Hepworth

Mo Hepworth New Member

taking the slide off and viewing the magazine as it locks up will give u an idea of what i mean.

7. Donovan

Donovan New Member

quite right.

8. Mo Hepworth

Mo Hepworth New Member

here is a pick of the part u need to file using a round file.
    [​IMG]

9. Mo Hepworth

Mo Hepworth New Member

slowly take material away. you don't want to trim the back catch part....but rather u want the ledge hollowed out more...this is the part that rubs against the mag body...using friction to keep it from dropping.

10. Mo Hepworth

Mo Hepworth New Member

hopefully Steyr comes out with a few competition parts....a drop free mag release and perhaps a magwell with basepads to match.

11. Corbin Dallas

Corbin Dallas New Member

Mo, you are a savior!

15 minutes of my time with the mag release, a clamp and my dremel with metal grinding tip and VIOLA! Mags drop super free!!!!!

Now if someone would make a magwell!

Thanks!

12. Branth

Branth New Member

Mine drop free just fine - Maybe your magwell is a littletight, or your magazines a little large.

13. 115mm

115mm New Member

Problem solved, Thanks Mo!
    [​IMG]

14. Branth

Branth New Member

Mine always dropped free. Then again, I either give the gun a quick downwards bounce when I press the mag release, or a quick "flip" motion to the side that propels the mag across the room with significant authority. I'm sure if I were to just press the button and hold the gun still I'd get the occasional sticky mag.

15. Mo Hepworth

Mo Hepworth New Member

your welcome...i prefer to do my own fitting/ problem solving with my guns.Great way to learn your guns inside and out.

16. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

With pistols in the USA market, Steyr-Österreich has it's head so far up its arsch that it will never come out with competition parts. They made a 4.5" long slide, for Pete's sake.

Gott im Himmel.

17. ThorInc

ThorInc New Member

10 round models here in Canada.......never a drop free issue or fte, etc.

18. mstacker

mstacker New Member

Hi Mo.

Could you repost or link the photo showing the 'part u need to file using a round file?' It seems the photo is no longer there.

In any case, my experience is that normally, the magazines drop free. I've shot this think a good bit in the last half a year or so since I bought it; around 5k rounds; enough to satisfy myself it is reliable with my chosen defensive ammo, etc.

I've dropped these magazines issue free on all kinds of stuff during practice; never wet dirt, however. It's when you get the magazines dirty by droping them on wet dirt is when they begin to stick. My l9 came with two 17rd mags that seem to have a nitraded finish. These dont stick as much under these circumstances. The blued 15rd mags I purchased do stick consistently; all 8 of them. All the mags are good quality. No issue there.

On a side note, I'd like to modify the stock rear site so that I can rack the slide one-handed of my belt. I'm considering a protruding set screw. I like the stock trap sites. They work for me. Any thoughts?

Matt

19. dicky

dicky New Member

Can anyone point me to the best place to purchase m9-a1 magazines? Also looking for handcuff case compatible with a magazine. Thanks

20. Hurry1996

Hurry1996 Active Member

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016