Steyr Club Forums banner
18K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Riogrande481 
#1 ·
Have been looking for a new M9-A1 and came across an ad in Gun Broker offering the pistol at $419. The ad claims these guns are from a failed deal in the middle east and have been sourced to PW Arms in Washington as opposed to the folks in Alabama.

I am curious as to the identity of the middle east buyer that failed to take delivery and I am curious as to the differences in these guns v the normal source in Alabama. These inports are marked with PW Arms name.

No issues ...just curious. Mods if this post is in the wrong place feel free to move or remove. Thanks to all. PS....this is a first post for me. Found the site while looking for information on the M9-A1. Looking forward to a lot of intresting reading. Sunny

#4 ·
The only other thing worth adding is that this particular batch of imported pistols is not the newest design with the upgraded trigger ("roll pin design") and LCI delete. I'm not sure what extractor (old design vs. new) or magazines (15 vs. 17) they are shipping with.

(someone please correct me if I am wrong - I am drawing these conclusions from other posts I've seen)

#5 ·
I got one of these at Cabelas for $399. The gun came with 2 15rnd mag among the cleaning kit and the manual. It's may not have the roll pin to lighten up the trigger like the latest version but good enought for the price I'm paying. This is a very high quality gun based on what I see, can't go wrong with this. The trigger is not light like the PPQ first edition I got but it breaks very clean, better than the G19 Gen 4 that I got. I have 1 FTE out of 150 rnds during the first outing with this gun. Majority of the ammo used was my reload with different charges, so this could be my ammo. Out of the 50rnds Federal I used the gun eject normally w/o any issue. The sight is fast to acquire as stated; however, I'm still getting use to this ...The serial number is six digits (041***), not like the regular import in the 7 digits range. I see the recall series number range in the 7 digits but can't say whether the pwm arm import M9 would have the firing pin issue or not. Anyone have any information on this. Thanks in advance.

#8 ·
Have been looking for a new M9-A1 and came across an ad in Gun Broker offering the pistol at $419. The ad claims these guns are from a failed deal in the middle east and have been sourced to PW Arms in Washington as opposed to the folks in Alabama.
I ordered one from them...then later in the day I found this site and this thread. I couldn't pass up the price, even if it wasn't the absolute most recent M9-A1.

#11 ·
The only other thing worth adding is that this particular batch of imported pistols is not the newest design with the upgraded trigger ("roll pin design") and LCI delete. I'm not sure what extractor (old design vs. new) or magazines (15 vs. 17) they are shipping with.

(someone please correct me if I am wrong - I am drawing these conclusions from other posts I've seen)
I recently purchased a M9-A1 from Dan's guns, did some research, it turns out that the gun is a 2004 model, the fist year of the new design. I paid $399 for it, but I was bummed to discover it was 2004 model.

I also, didn't like the fact that the gun had a stamping of "PW Arms, Redmond WA" in white!

I would have preferred to pay the additional $100 to get the newer model with the 17 round mag, the updated ejecting pin, and the updated roll pin in the trigger.

Good thing I have a 2010 model S9-A1.

#14 ·
I also bought my from Cabelas for $399 a couple weeks ago. I went back last night and got questions from the gun counter guys on how it shot. I told them better than a out of box Glock. They laughed. They told me I was the only one who bought one so far from there. Omaha, Ne.
Only a handfull of people even looked at them. Thier loss!

#15 ·
When I was shopping for my very first handgun, I came across an original Steyr M at a local gun store. It was priced to move, I had very little exposure to guns, and I wanted it. The salesman went on and on about how I didn't need that junk and I just had to get a G19 or G17 instead. He went from offering friendly advice to seriously lecturing me about how I absolutely had to get a Glock, and even went as far as to tell me "he wouldn't sell me that other piece of shit even if I wanted it."

Suffice it to say, I never went back to that shop. He did do me a favor, though - I ordered a M9A1 a few weeks later and I am now convinced that I would have been pretty upset being stuck with the proprietary Steyr rail on the M series.

Glocks are good guns for sure, but I think a LOT of people will never know what they are missing out on.

#16 ·
When I bought mine at Cabelas the sale guy was surpise I when I ask to see the gun. I remembered him saying that that this is the most ugly gun he has ever seen.... Needless to say I told him that I will buy the gun but not the display one. He went back inside for while and come back to say that there is problem..... There are 25 in there which one do you want. Hate to say this but majority of people are buying gun based on the appearance.

#17 ·
It's weird looking for sure - but I think that's what draws a lot of us to it. The Steyr stood out during my hunt because it looked like some sort of sci-fi space gun - just somehow unique. These days, it's a lot less unique of a design - everyone else has ripped it off. :lol:

#18 ·
I have the following pistols below. I would have continued to collect pistols but when I purchased my S9-A1 (2010 model), I had to purchase the M9-A1, and now I don't look at pistols any more. I actually stared to reduce my collection because I don't really shoot the other pistols.

Sig P229, 40 cal. (sold it)
Sig pro 2022, 9MM
CZ Rami 2075, 9MM
CZ 75 P0-7 Duty, 9MM
BUL Cherokee, 9MM
Beretta Nano, 9MM (sold it, hated this gun, the trigger pull was a mile long)
Glock 19 gen 4, 9MM (love it)
Steyr S9-A1 (my favorite 1)
Steyr M9-A1 (my favorite 2)

#21 ·
So my long story is posted in the new member section, but the short version is that I recently purchased one of the PW Arms guns at Cabela's at $399 after having and foolishly selling an older M40 some years ago.

My new M9-A1 does have the PW Arms mark stamped on the slide, but fortunately it is just marked, not painted in white.

In response to Love Triangle - my story is similar and my pistol inventory is also somewhat similar - after years in the wilderness I now know what I want and am in the process of reducing my inventory, including selling my Sig 2022 in .40 this weekend as well as my Astra A75L. Just don't really see the need for them to be hanging around in the gun safe, taking up space.

I also am a CZ fan. How do you like the Rami? I have bought, then sold the P-07 because it didn't really float my boat.

#22 ·
I also am a CZ fan. How do you like the Rami? I have bought, then sold the P-07 because it didn't really float my boat.
The RAMI (9mm) is my primary carry gun. It's too wide, but I carry it because of how well I can shoot it. I think they are great guns, but then again I like Steyrs also. I have a tendency to go with what I shoot well rather than what's popular.

#23 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, so please be understanding!

So, Dan's website no longer lists the Steyr - where's the best place to pick one of these up?

What's the opinion on getting one with the Redmond stamp on it (funny, I live in Seattle, 15 minutes from Redmond, WA).

Should I pony up the extra $100 for the latest model?

And what's the distinguishing factor? the 17 round magazine?

Thanks!

#24 ·
Welcome to the SteyrClub!

No question, get the latest version. The prior problems are fixed, the trigger is excellent - not that it can't be made better with the Big Taco Delrin cups... just sayin'

#25 ·
Hey members, new to the site, I had a M40 that i foolishly sold years ago. I just received one of the PW Arms M9-A1s, I purchased it off of GunsAmerica from Robertsons Trading Post, they had a bunch available for people interested. I didn't realize that they had updated with the roll pin but I figure for the price I couldn't pass it up. I just ordered the BT glide rite and striker spring since I always have to tinker. I've read that these make the triggers better than they already are, just curious if anyone has tried adding these to the new roll pin guns? I would imagine that would be pretty nice if its possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.