M9-A1 - Failure to Eject

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Wingsyzrmn, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Wingsyzrmn

Wingsyzrmn New Member

I apologize if this is a repetitive post, I just could not find what I was looking for.

I recently purchased a M9-A1. I had several failure to ejects with the first 100 rounds I shot at the range. I talk to Steyr and Jeff sent me new extractor and pin.

My question is, does anyone have specific instructions maybe with pictures on how to replace these parts?

Also as I am new to the handgun world, what are the best instructions for tearing the gun down and cleaning it?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Welcome to the SteyrClub!

Go to the Downloads tab. There you will find a tutorial on cleaning the weapon, it also shows how to remove and replace the extractor.

It's not hard to do. You need a thin-bladed screwdriver that will fit into the opening at the back end of the extractor (from the outside of the slide). You pivot it toward the back of the slide to push the extractor plunger into its channel, and then pop the extractor out. I recommend that you get a 1911 safety/stop plunger spring, cut off about 3/16" and insert it into the extractor plunger spring before reassembling the extractor. It seems to guarantee that the case comes out of the chamber and shoots rapidly through the air :)

I suggest you use a dry lubricant on the extractor to avoid gunk buildup. Either graphite or a dry moly will work well. Some people swear by other liquid lubes, so YMMV.