M40 with new extractor, 9mm barrel, suppressor

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by some_finn, Dec 15, 2006.

1. some_finn

some_finn Guest

So the 3-4 weeks turned into 3-4 months but I got my new extractor assy today.
    They came in a plain plastic bag without a label claiming to be "new and improved".

One thing that was obvious was that the spring was clearly longer (and I assume more powerful) than the old one.

Can't see much difference in the extractor. The "claw" area appears maybe a bit different? But can't be sure if it's just wear on the old one the makes the difference?
    Now that I look at the picture it seems the "angle" of the section which is on top in the picture is different, but it's probably just the way I'm holding them?

[​IMG]

The new extractor has the dot impression that someone else noticed before, the old one doesn't have it.

[​IMG]

The old extractor had a little "crater" worn where it rubs against the spring thingy:

[​IMG]

I was in a hurry to get to the range so I didn't spend too much time inspecting the differences.

I fired about 200 rounds using the new extractor parts. Ammo was handloaded, average loads with a 170gr bullet and some pretty hot stuff with a 200gr bullet.

The extractor worked perfectly, the ejection was quite positive. The ejection pattern was somewhat erratic but the cases tended to fly more to the right (and less straight back) compared to the old extractor.

Then it was time to try the IGB 9mm conversion barrel that arrived earlier this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was truly a "drop-in" unit and just dropped in the slide without any problems.
    I didn't shoot it that much, maybe 50 rounds.
    The ejection was less than energetic, the brass landing at my feet, flying in my face etc. I suppose a 2lbs lighter recoil spring might be beneficial but I don't even want to think about how many months it would take to get one somehow.
    Accuracy seemed comparable to the original .40 barrel.

So far so good.

Then it was time to try the B&T Impuls IIA.

[​IMG]

Of course it is ridiculously front heavy, but actually didn't feel that bad.
    I fired some of my handloaded 147gr subsonics and a few Sellier&Bellot factory ones. The gun cycled better than it did with normal supersonic ammo without the suppressor.

But I noticed some strange flight sounds, not a bullet going super or transsonic but something else. At the target I realized what it was.
    Most of the bullet holes were "keyholes" and hit the target way low and right. The round bullet holes were where they were supposed to be.

Back at home I inspected the suppressor in good light and yes, the bullets had glanced the front end cap of the suppressor 8-O :evil: :cry:
    Apparently there was no serious damage as far as I could tell, but still.

I guess IGB f**ked up the thread on the barrel and it's not properly centered.

I e-mailed the company that sold me the barrel ("official" IGB representative) and they replied immediately that they'd contact IGB and get me a new barrel ASAP.

Still kind of sucks that I have to apply for a new buying permit as the one I have has already been filled with the info for this barrel :(
    I'm sure the company will pay me back the 32 euros (about $40) the permit costs but irritating all the same, having to explain the whole mess at the police station and probably do the paperwork again.

2. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Some Finn

I have the new extractor as well it looks exactly like yours (from what I can tell)

I can definitely see the diff. between the two; new extractor claw has more of a curve to it, where the old one is angled/staged. My old extractor looks identical to your old one BUT it has the circular indent (just like your new one).

About the spring at first I thought the new one was longer, but actually they turned out to be the same; what happens is that springs become shorter/compress with use. So the new one will look longer. When I actually counted the coils they both had 11...

One question though; what does your new extractor looks like installed? Does it stick out of the slide (like mine) or is it flash with the slide like the old one. When I compared new and old extractors side by side the one one had more ‘meat’ to it at the top (the parts that's visible when it's installed --that’s why it’s sticks out). Did you notice if yours was like that? Can you take a picture of what your extractor looks like installed. (other slide of the gun).

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Always a good idea to screw the can to the barrel before it's in the gun, and look through the chamber. You should see a round hole, and not an oval hole. Oval is bad. You could do it now and see what it looks like.

Is the shoulder square? Looks rounded in the pic.

4. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Ok, I think I see what you mean now that you pointed it out.

With a round in the chamber. Well, a spent case actually.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I did look through the barrel+suppressor. It's kind of hard to be sure you're looking straight through it, the barrel being pretty short.
    Couldn't see any obvious problem. I also checked with my threaded CZ 75 barrel and can't see any difference in the concentricity.

Some of the bullets did make it through without hitting the suppressor so I guess it's a borderline case.
    I noticed that when the suppressor is threaded onto the barrel, the place where the bullets hit is at 6 o'clock, in other words straight down.
    I started to wonder if it is in any way possible that the gun is cycling so fast that the barrel and suppressor tilt before the bullet clears the suppressor? Never heard of such a problem but I'm no expert on suppressors.

What shoulder? On the barrel, behind the threads? Looks square to me.

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Does the new extractor result in any snagging on the holster?

6. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

here's what my M9-A1 looks like unloaded. Is your extractor flash with the slide when there is no case/round in the chamber (I wonder if I got a .40 extractor :? )? btw is your extractor pin all round or angled? thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

[/quote:2gbug63u]I also started wondering if the barrel is tilting down, so that the bottom of the suppressor is lifting UP, resulting in 6 o'clock strikes. It looks in the pic like there is a lot of space in the barrel/slide fit at the front? If so, might that factor into this?

Ben

8. some_finn

some_finn Guest

I thought everybody already agreed in the other thread that there is only one "M/S Series" extractor that is the same for 9mm/40/357?

This angle is obviously quite different in your extractors, as well as mine.

[​IMG]

The funny thing is that with my extractors it's the other way around.
    My old extractor has the "angle" and the new one is machined "straight" - just the opposite from yours! (Unless you mislabeled your extractors?)

I'm pretty sure it's just a cosmetic difference. Maybe there were/are two subcontractors that made the extractors and this non-critical surface can be one way or the other?

Here's what my extractor looks on an empty chamber.
    Looking from one direction it's quite flush - from the other direction it protrudes quite a bit...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

What do you mean by extractor pin? The thing on the end of the spring? As far as I remember they are identical (have a bevel/angle/whatever).

The fit of the original .40 barrel is 100% identical so I'm pretty sure that's not an issue.

9. ShelbyV8

ShelbyV8 New Member

There are 3 versions of the extractor the old one shown above, a newer one with the circle and the deeper cut front bevel, then the humpbacked shown above. The most important change is the deeper cut bevel on the hook. Although I had never had a problem with my M40/357 I kept trying to figure out why other people were having problems. With old extractor, the base of the cartridge could not set agianst the breach face without camming the extractor with the bevel of the case in the rim grove. I had already changed the contour of my old extractor when I realized that my spare was the itermediate design. The new bevel cut would touch a little. The one I had recontoured did not touch at all. Due to difference in tolerances and different ammo I am sure this will be different from gun to gun. When the cartridge fired and slammed back tightly to the breach face the extractor will be bounced outward, varrying the bite on the rim or completly missing. A file, stones or sandpaper can be used to change the contour (NO Dremel). The double springs will help, but I think the above mod will fix the problems.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I was told by someone at steyr USA that M9’s and M40s use different extractors… :?

No, I’m 100% sure I labelled them correctly; the old one was “straight”… looking at the photos you posted I can see that your new extractor is “humpback" as well otherwise it wouldn’t protrude from the slide. I can also see that the angle on the new extractor (both mine and yours!) is not straight - see photo below. Btw I believe new extractor is supposed to act as a loaded chamber indicator.

[​IMG]

yes that’s what I meant…mine is all round btw (both old and new

11. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Yes, my new extractor has a tiny angle on the surface like yours when you look at it from the "top", like it is installed in the slide.

But it's not humpbacked the way yours is, when I look at it from this angle:

[​IMG]

From this angle it looks like your old extractor.
    The part on the "top" in this picture is "straight" like your old one, not "thicker" on the "left side" like your new one.
    So it protrudes a lot less from the slide, as you can see when you compare our pics.

12. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Ok than... :)

The next time you going to take the extractor out for cleaning can you take a photo of both (old and new) extractors from the same angle as I did?

13. fireblast713

fireblast713 Guest

Where'd you guys get you new extractors? Were they shipped to you by Steyr as replacements, or did you have to send your guns in? I'm curious as my new M40-A1 seems to be having extraction issues.

14. PeskyGee

PeskyGee Guest

I would also like to get my hands on a new extractor. If I can't get a new one sent as opposed to sending the gun back I may just try the 1911 spring fix and see if that works.

15. Auburn

Auburn New Member

I'm interested in the new extractor too. Is this a free fix from Steyr...or are you buys buying them?

16. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

yeh where can i get an A1 extractor for an old s40? the m and s series extractors are the same right?

17. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Neither me nor some_finn are from US...I got mine from Austria...