m40 to 9mm conversion

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ripsaw, Apr 27, 2009.

1. ripsaw

ripsaw New Member

Is it possible to get away with just a barrel and a magazine?

2. dtask

dtask Member

Nope. You need the complete slide for a .40S&W to 9mm conversion or visa versa.

The barrel and magazine conversion (which is actually just a barrel change - the magazines for the .40S&W and .357SIG are interchangeable) will work to take a .40S&W to .357SIG. But from a 9mm to a .40S&W or the other way around, unfortunately you're stuck having to find the complete slide for the caliber you want to change to.

At this point, it's easier just to buy another pistol in the caliber you want than it is to find a complete slide conversion or someone willing to part with theirs.

Welcome to the club! :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009

3. ripsaw

ripsaw New Member

Thanks! This is a bummer, because you can do this with Glock in fourty... On the other hand, another excuse to buy another Steyr. :D Love the design of this gun!!!

4. DHUTTO

DHUTTO New Member

I spoke with Steyr reps a few months ago and you can. The Steyr M's were originally designed for .40 SW then made to 9mm. The 9mm and 40 casing both work on the slide, extractor, etc. the only thing needed is the barrel and magazine to the caliber. I asked the same question since I was only able to get a S9 when I was looking for a S40 and my department carries .40SW. If you have the barrel and magazine the slide does not matter according to Steyr.

5. dtask

dtask Member

Really? When I asked Steyr about it I was told the opposite. They were selling 9mm conversion slides too - why not just the barrels and mags?

I'm not trying to call you out - on the contrary, if this is the case, I'll thank you for enlightening me! I guess I could take out my M9 barrel and drop it into my M40 and try it but just always took what I was told by Steyr as gospel.

6. Baernd

Baernd Member

I'm sure somebody here has both versions, so they could be compared.
    Steyr sells convertion sets that include a magazine, and a complete slide with barrel, guide rod and recoilspring.
    I would think the strenght of the spring and the outer diameter of the barrel would be different but as i only have the 9mm version i cannot be sure.

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Here's the deal, gents:

You CAN get a 9x19 or 9x21 barrel that will fit your M40 or M40-A1 and will require only that you use 9mm magazines as well, and will function with the M40/M40-A1 slide....

HOWEVER.....

The factory M9/M9-A1 slides are LIGHTER than the M40/M40-A1 slides to enable all Steyrs to use the same recoil spring.

THEREFORE.....

You may find that some ammunition types will not function 100% with your M40/M40-A1 slide and a 9mm barrel...

It WILL work, but I would not bet my life on it!

Any more questions?

:D

8. dtask

dtask Member

That was what I was told when I asked - basically that I would have reliability issues unless I went with the slide conversion. Selling point or fact, I'm not 100% sure but I'd bet that Babj has it right (he normally does). I'll have to see if I have a 9mm barrel lying around....

9. dtask

dtask Member

What about going with a 9mm slide (lighter slide) and a .40S&W barrel? Would that feasibly negate any of the cycling issues?

10. Jbabbler

Jbabbler New Member

Is the barrel OD the same on a factory M9 vs M40? I would think that a factory 9mm barrel would be significantly smaller.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

NOPE.

Can't do it because:

:D

12. Jbabbler

Jbabbler New Member

damn, I mispelled barrel :D.

13. ripsaw

ripsaw New Member

It seems to me that the weight of M40 and M9 should be almost identical. At least s40 having 4mm longer barrel is heavier by 14g than s9.

14. dtask

dtask Member

Perfect example of why sleep is necessary for clear thought. ;)

15. ripsaw

ripsaw New Member

I got a reply from Steyr, that it should work.

16. Jbabbler

Jbabbler New Member

Please elaborate on exactly what you asked and exactly what they replied.

17. ripsaw

ripsaw New Member

I asked if just putting a 9mm barrel and a 9mm magazine into M40A1 would work and they said yes. Obviously, we have to verify that...

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  18. Vauxurellius

Vauxurellius Guest

I thought that the slides for the M-A1 series .40 and 9mm were the same I thought the only thing that differed was the barrel and the magazines, or maybe that was just the .40 S&W and the .357 M-A1

19. ripsaw

ripsaw New Member

Beside, verifying that and getting parts, I just need somehow to find damn 9mm ammo... :(

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  20. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

Also, the outer diameter of the two barrels are different.
    So you just can not put a 9mm barrel in to a 40 slide. It will rattle all around.