Steyr Club Forums banner
4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  steyr47 
#1 ·
Anyone has Experience with M40 ?
please chair with me .

#3 ·
the front-end is not as bulky looking as the M1 series.
the hump in the grip forces the gun to really sit into the hand during rapid firing, gives excellent control. But it hurts! So I reshaped the grip on mine anyway.

Trigger is about 6Lb, not crispy. Trigger reset is not as positive as a Glock trigger (nothing is). Accuracy is about the same as a G23.

The bad:
Warm weather pistol. IMO the firing pin in the steyr-M's is too big causing too much drag (especially when the gun is dirty and or greasy). Can cause light strikes when the gun is cold.

Great range gun. Should be fine if carried close to the body.

Can not comment on the triangle sight, mine has factory night sight.

Hope this helps

#4 ·
the front-end is not as bulky looking as the M1 series.
the hump in the grip forces the gun to really sit into the hand during rapid firing, gives excellent control. But it hurts! So I reshaped the grip on mine anyway.

Trigger is about 6Lb, not crispy. Trigger reset is not as positive as a Glock trigger (nothing is). Accuracy is about the same as a G23.

The bad:
Warm weather pistol. IMO the firing pin in the steyr-M's is too big causing too much drag (especially when the gun is dirty and or greasy). Can cause light strikes when the gun is cold.

Great range gun. Should be fine if carried close to the body.

Can not comment on the triangle sight, mine has factory night sight.

Hope this helps
Why is there grease in the firing pin channel?

#5 ·
or thickened gun oil, or gun oil with contamination (powder residue, brass shavings, dirt.....).

The light strike only happend when the gun was cold (say, below freezing). My Glock and FN forty-nine, maintained the exact same way, never gave me light-strike problem. Same ammo, same range condition.

I remember there was a magazine article when the M series first came out, it too reported encountering light strike problems.

#6 ·
I never encountered light strikes with my M40 and M9 in -30 to +30 degree F temp
could fire small rifle primers in the steyr and it would set them off just fine
then again my triggers were also crisp breaking and had positive reset better than any glock I fired
when steyrs first came out they had 8lbs trigger and higher ejection port leading to ejection issues but dont recall light strike issues.

#7 ·
or thickened gun oil, or gun oil with contamination (powder residue, brass shavings, dirt.....).

The light strike only happend when the gun was cold (say, below freezing). My Glock and FN forty-nine, maintained the exact same way, never gave me light-strike problem. Same ammo, same range condition.

I remember there was a magazine article when the M series first came out, it too reported encountering light strike problems.
Any over-amount of oil or grease or anything in the firing pin channel will cause light strikes.
That's why the manuals say to not oil the firing pin.

Comparing a glock or FN or any other gun is like saying "I take care of my gas car the same way I take care of my diesel truck, but my car keeps knocking and falling apart."

Different systems require different maintenance.
Unless of course you have my glock, then it's a great paperweight.

#8 ·
Any over-amount of oil or grease or anything in the firing pin channel will cause light strikes.
That's why the manuals say to not oil the firing pin.

Comparing a glock or FN or any other gun is like saying "I take care of my gas car the same way I take care of my diesel truck, but my car keeps knocking and falling apart."

Different systems require different maintenance.
Unless of course you have my glock, then it's a great paperweight.
:agree: I'll second every word of that. Make sure your striker channel is clear of any debris, grease, or excess oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.