Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!
I have the newest generation Steyr M9 a2 MF and recently bought the used first generation M40 pistol (frame with the safety). Merely out of scientific curiosity I took the slides off and found out that the slides have exactly the same length. Then I mounted the M40 slide on the M9-A2 frame and the m9-A2 slide on the first generation m40 frame. Both slides clicked in right away and seem to move, reset the triggers and get on the slide stops without any difficulty. The magazines, as we know are NOT interchangeable. The A2 frame needs A2 mags only.
I am contemplating the idea of loading the newest generation 9mm A2 mags with 40 S&W rounds and trying to shoot from the M40 slide mounted on M9-A2 frame. I do not know yet if the lips of the 9mm A2 mags need to be slightly widened for that or not.
Has anyone ever done this? Any safety concerns of using M9-a2 frame with the M40 slide?

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
Hi Guys!
I have the newest generation Steyr M9 a2 MF and recently bought the used first generation M40 pistol (frame with the safety). Merely out of scientific curiosity I took the slides off and found out that the slides have exactly the same length. Then I mounted the M40 slide on the M9-A2 frame and the m9-A2 slide on the first generation m40 frame. Both slides clicked in right away and seem to move, reset the triggers and get on the slide stops without any difficulty. The magazines, as we know are NOT interchangeable. The A2 frame needs A2 mags only.
I am contemplating the idea of loading the newest generation 9mm A2 mags with 40 S&W rounds and trying to shoot from the M40 slide mounted on M9-A2 frame. I do not know yet if the lips of the 9mm A2 mags need to be slightly widened for that or not.
Has anyone ever done this? Any safety concerns of using M9-a2 frame with the M40 slide?
Awesome find. So the A1 9mm mags will work in a A2 9mm . Just not the reverse, A2 won’t work in a A1. All that said I do not have a 40 right now to test out any compatibility with that although I thought the m40 and M9 mags were dimensional the same, maybe case can confirm. While I do not know for sure it seem like the A2 frame should work fine as long as you have the correct recoil spring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to clarify: pistol 1 (M9-a2) looks like this.

Pistol 2 (M40) looks like this.

By "slide" I meant the slide assembly that includes the slide together with the barrel and the recoil spring with the rod. So the slide assemblies of these two pistols seem to be interchangeable.
The mags are NOT interchangeable. However, it seems like the A-1 mags are the most versatile. According to this forum, A-1 mags fit all generations including the first generation Steyrs (no "a"), the a-1 generation they are made for, and the latest generation (a2). So, I need to get M40 a1 magazines, that hold 12 rounds.
Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
I’m sorry I was speaking about A1 mags. You are correct and I was wrong on that one, for some reason I didn’t register M40 and was thinking of a M40-A1, That is my fault, I believe the A1 mag will fit and there was one for sale on here not long ago. That might be a good option to try it. I did not realize the M40 would work with a A2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No reason to be sorry. In fact I highly appreciate your advice. My M40 came with two 10 round magazines and I was planing to buy M40-a1 magazines because I wanted to have 12 rounders. Now I know that M40-a1 magazines not only would work with the M40 native frame, but also should work with the a2 frame.
Any concerns with the m9-a2 frame strength? Will it tolerate the .40 caliber recoil? From what I read M40 and M9 frames are the same so are M40-a1 and M9 -a1 frames. The slides for 40 cal are beefier, than 9mm slides, but the frames seem to be the same. The a2 generation does not, however, have .40 versions. In the m9-a2 manual, however, models M40-a2 and C40-A2 are mentioned. This makes me wonder if Steyr at least at some point had plans of making .40 caliber a2 generation pistols. This, in turn, makes me think that a2 frame was developed to tolerate. 40 caliber as well as 9mm just in case.
.40 caliber is on the decline at this point, so who knows if .40 cal a2 will ever be released.

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
So the reason I assume it would be fine is the initial info on the A2 has listed in 40 as well as 9mm. Also the A1 M40 vs M9 we’re very similar with minor changes like the recoil spring. The A1 transition to the A2 had very minor changes like the extractor and milled area on the frame to avoid a extractor strike. the frame polymer was changed but the chassis system appears to be relatively the same with very minor changes like the milled area on the back right. All that said maybe chase can chime in or a call to Steyr might be helpful but I find it hard to get to an engineer and I doubt any will easily recommend any alterations from stock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zudrick, I agree. More over, I am thinking that the recoil springs on the 9mm and .40S&W caliber slides are the same. Otherwise how would you explain this:
The third party recoil assemblies such as BT guide rods or DPM are also the same for all M slides. I am surprised but that's how they are.
It might be just the weight of the slide itself that's different.

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
I thought case said once it was a 3 pound difference. I remember I thought they were the same and the slide was the main difference, but DPM also works a bit differently and I have found it to not cycle 115gr consistently. Tried a DPM and comp for fun.
115 would work stock. Would work with about a failure every other mag with DPM. Would not work with DPM and comp.
124 DPM worked consistently but with comp it had trouble cycling
147 worked with both and felt less then 115 on recoil.

I have one for a L9 still but I don’t use it much after the testing.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. It seems like the compensator affects slide movement/feeding quite a bit.
In terms of slide/frame compatibility, it would be useful to know what slide fits what frame.
It looks like M slides fit M frames regardless of caliber and generations. What about S slides and S frames?
1. Are S9 and S40, S9-A1, S40-A1 frames/slides identical size wise?
2. Do S slides fit C-frames? For instance, if one has S40-A1 pistol and C9-A2 can he swap the slides and make S9-a1 and C40-a2 configurations?

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
For the comp it was one test sample of a strike comp so other comps may have different results but they may also not. I really don’t use comps on pistols so I don’t have more to try. That said it was a major impact of function with 115 but the DPM was as well, although I don’t remember what configuration I was using. Comes with two end caps and two springs if I recall correctly. Only reason I had threaded barrels was for a suppressor so my experience with comps is limited.

I know the C9A2 slide will fit a L9A2 and vice versa but I have not tried the S9. Maybe Friday I can get out and out a few rounds down range and see how it does. the S9 being double stack I don’t think will be a issue although I never tried to place it in a larger frame. S9 really could have been a contender if Steyr would have made new mags not capped at 10 after the ban expired.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I strongly suspect that S and C slides are of the same length. C-frame has a length of S frame, but a handle of M-frame. I also suspect that S40 and S9 are the same frames, just different caliber slides need different magazines. So should be C9 and C40 frames. I wish Steyr Arms have published an official slide/ frame/magazine compatibility chart. Clearly they have made the modular pistols, but someone needs to acknowledge this officially instead of the Steyr fans finding this out empirically.

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
I believe they are. Pretty sure the difference is length of grip. I know the M9A1 mags work in the c9a2 frame. They just stick out a bit but when I carried a S9a1 I remember trying a M9A1 mag without issue. Just was awhile ago, moved to the c9a2 for capacity. Here is the c9 S9 and L9

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
Double click ghost slide. Typically on my side. I have a few of his and a black trident QLS for owb. Tn Steyr just posted up a raffle on posting on YouTube for a free one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like a great minimalistic holster. Does NOT add much bulk to the pistol. Does it fit any Steyr or it is generation-specific?

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
Main reason I like it is it reduces a fair amount of bulk other holsters have. Makes it easier to conceal and is more comfortable. This one is for the C9A2 although any A2 can drop in. I know my A2 won’t fit into my older A1 holsters due to the rail but I have not tried a A1 in my A2 yet to see how that goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts